IGNORED

the original ventolin is a load of ass. the wheeze mix is way better

mushroom

The overall aesthetic of the Ventolin EP is my favorite of his entire discography. Great melodies but the textures turned more for the weird than they were on ICBYD. Drums were getting weirder too but he hadn't gone whole hog with the drill n bass thing yet. The mixing is lo-fi but great - sometimes it's raw and dry, other times it's reverbed out bliss.

Heartily seconded.

I feel a definite connection which I can't quite explain between my love for these eps & ccai2. May just come down to a shared combination of bedroom-carpet chill & cultivated weirdo awkwardnesses.

I always meant to make this into a ringtone

yeah don't do this

I had inhake2 as my ringtone 15 years ago, for only a few months, and I still get anxiety when the intro plays

Ok, here's a question.  There's a drum machine or kit that's used on a ton of 94-95 era tracks.  It's all over this EP, Cow Cud, and Winner Takes All on the Mike/Rich album.  Can anyone ID it? I've poked around, but never found it.  You can hear the hats from it at the beginning of the Carharrack Mix.  

Ok, here's a question.  There's a drum machine or kit that's used on a ton of 94-95 era tracks.  It's all over this EP, Cow Cud, and Winner Takes All on the Mike/Rich album.  Can anyone ID it? I've poked around, but never found it.  You can hear the hats from it at the beginning of the Carharrack Mix.  

also some squarepusher stuff, Chaos A.D. 'Friend' track uses same drums. there's loads of ICBYD drums on Buzz Caner now i think about it..

My friend worked at Camelot Music when ICBYD came out, and he took great joy in turning up Ventolin @ the end of the night to drive out the customers so he could close up. lol

lol

My friend worked at Camelot Music when ICBYD came out, and he took great joy in turning up Ventolin @ the end of the night to drive out the customers so he could close up. lol

same kinda story i was at hmv music back in the day and they were playing gantz graf.... i guess it was a new release, so one of the ten new tracks on rotation or whatever.

also some squarepusher stuff, Chaos A.D. 'Friend' track uses same drums. there's loads of ICBYD drums on Buzz Caner now i think about it..

I bet Zoe Blade would know or ID them...

• 3 weeks later...

He had a Roland R-8 early on (including the SN-R8-04 card for TR-808 samples, and Simmons tom as on Green Calx).  At least, that's what I'm inferring from what DRN said.  So perhaps the acoustic samples are from that too, distorted a little, with reverb from the QuadraVerb?  I'm not sure, they're not the most interesting sounds he's used...  I know he used the VCS3 a fair bit during the ...ICBYD/Ventolin era, I think for things like ring mod...  And he'd do things like flange white noise, probably with the QuadraVerb...  And he said he sampled hitting an ammo box from the inside with a wireless mic, if memory serves...  Though for nice metallic drum hits, personally I like sending a brief burst of noise to a spring reverb...  Things like

ring mod can work well too...  He also sort of confirmed using an aerosol as an open hat, like in S'Express.  Just think laterally and you'll do fine.  That's all I have off the top of my head right now.

I briefly had a QuadraVerb the other year, and you know what?  It was just regular effects, awkward to program through a fiddly menu.  It's not the equipment you use (or only to a certain extent, at most).  Work out what weird things you can do.  SAW 85-92 still sounds great, and that used TR-808 samples, not the real thing, and was premastered to Compact Cassette.  Make do with what you have, be creative.  Otherwise it's a cargo cult emulating the specific examples of another person's lateral thought.

He had a Roland R-8 early on (including the SN-R8-04 card for TR-808 samples, and Simmons tom as on Green Calx).  At least, that's what I'm inferring from what DRN said.  So perhaps the acoustic samples are from that too, distorted a little, with reverb from the QuadraVerb?  I'm not sure, they're not the most interesting sounds he's used...  I know he used the VCS3 a fair bit during the ...ICBYD/Ventolin era, I think for things like ring mod...  And he'd do things like flange white noise, probably with the QuadraVerb...  And he said he sampled hitting an ammo box from the inside with a wireless mic, if memory serves...  Though for nice metallic drum hits, personally I like sending a brief burst of noise to a spring reverb...  Things like

ring mod can work well too...  He also sort of confirmed using an aerosol as an open hat, like in S'Express.  Just think laterally and you'll do fine.  That's all I have off the top of my head right now.

I briefly had a QuadraVerb the other year, and you know what?  It was just regular effects, awkward to program through a fiddly menu.  It's not the equipment you use (or only to a certain extent, at most).  Work out what weird things you can do.  SAW 85-92 still sounds great, and that used TR-808 samples, not the real thing, and was premastered to Compact Cassette.  Make do with what you have, be creative.  Otherwise it's a cargo cult emulating the specific examples of another person's lateral thought.

cool stuff, thanks

Great post!

I briefly had a QuadraVerb the other year, and you know what?  It was just regular effects, awkward to program through a fiddly menu.

I slightly disagree - I think the QV's reverbs have a bit of mojo, especially for hazy/cold pads. However, this is gold:

It's not the equipment you use (or only to a certain extent, at most).  Work out what weird things you can do.  SAW 85-92 still sounds great, and that used TR-808 samples, not the real thing, and was premastered to Compact Cassette.  Make do with what you have, be creative.  Otherwise it's a cargo cult emulating the specific examples of another person's lateral thought.

Archived