IGNORED

Has anyone translated the Japanese Collapse insert yet?

bunyip

I just tried hopelessly to OCR and translate this insert:

https://i.redd.it/ztu7cfifdwo11.jpg

Is anyone capable of translating this? It looks like it goes on to talk about his equipment and towards the end Feed Me Weird Things.

Can you get a proper scan of it rather than a cameraphone (or at least shoot it straight on so it's completely legible)?

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone ahead and typed out the text in the Japanese insert, based on the photo above. Hopefully this should make it easier for anyone willing to translate - I might try to do my own translation later on, but I'm not skilled in Japanese and it might look a bit engrishy.

I am reaching out to anyone who can provide a better photo of the Collapse EP Japanese insert - as Joyrex has pointed out, the text is not fully legible so there are some kanji, as well as a line of text, missing from my transcription.

As before, it would be really great if someone could translate this! :aphexsign:

『Syro』以降、リチャード・D・ジェイムスことエイフェックス・ツインは、継続的かつ精カ的に活動を続けており、アーティストとして音楽アプローチの幅を広げていることは周知のておりだ。

また、これらがテクノ/エレクトロニカの活性化に繋がっているのは勿論、改めて彼の楽曲や制作手法が、PCソフトウェアに依存し利便性を続ける現代の音楽制作スタイルのオルタナティブとなっており、2010年代の現在だからこそ強いインパクトを放っている流れは非常に意義深く感じてしまう。

特に今作「Collapse EP」は刺激的で、変則的なドラムブレイクが多用されており、エイフェックス・ツイン『Richard D. James Album』からザ・タス 『Rushup Edge』と繋がっていた激しいビート が、多様に発展している印象が強い。当時、スクエアプッシャーやエイフェックス・ツイン、もしくはキッド606、ヴェール、ファンキー・ポルチーニなどのアーティストに衝撃を受けた方なら、特に感慨深いはずだ。

また今回においても、エイフェックス・ツインならではの個性が、 プロモーションやビジュアル要素にも現れている。7月29日ロンドンの地下鉄広告から、8月4日の東京渋谷宇田川町のレコード店TECHNIQUEの看板まで、計5箇所にエフェクトが掛かったエイフェックス・ツイン・ロゴが埋め込まれているかのように3D表示させ、ネットを盛り上げてファンアートに飛び火させたり、「アートワークビジュアルのテキスト」と「先行ミュージックビデオ」の両方に、テイストの異なる、意味深な文章を埋め込んで、ファンが量子力学の議論をするように煽ったりと、彼ならではのユーモアに溢れている。

リチャードは『Syro』以降、度マ機林名をインーナスルーブや、楽曲に埋め込んできていたが、今作も曲名に「Roland R8」「CASIO FZ20M」「Roland TR909」が入っている。これは伝説のカルト・シンセサイザー「CHEETAH MS800」の名前を冠した前作「CHEETAH EP」に比べれば、深い意味性は感じられず、いつもリチャードが使っている定番機材といって差し支えない。どれも「Syro」のケレジットに載っていた機材である。

むしろ本作の機材の話をするなら、リリースに先駆けてムュージックビデオとしてYouTubeに公開された「T69 Collapse」(https://youtu.be/SqayDnQ2wmw)の冒頭に、シンセサイザー/アウトバットの構成リストが出ていたのは興味深い。下記そのリストであるが、リチャードがサウンドミックス時にメインで使っているSSLのミキサーと接続されているシンセサイザー&リズムマシンを示しているようだ。

【T69 Collapse MV:機材リスト】

Sequential Circuits Pro One (※『Syro』では記載なし)

Arp 2500

Yamaha CS40(※『Syro』では記載なし)

Roland MKS50

Yamaha TX81Z

DSI Prophet 6 (※『Syro』では記載なし:2015年発売のシンセ)

Emu 2500 (=Proteus 2500) (※『Syro』では記載なし)

SDE (=Simmons SDE) (※『Syro』の際は誤字で記載あり?)

Rhodes Chroma

Elektron Analog RYTM (※『Syro』では記載なし:2014年発売のリズムマシン)

Yamaha TX816w×2 (※『Syro』では記載なし)

...このリストと『Syro』以降の機材情報を照らし合わせると、リチャーの機材収集癖がより幅広くなっているのが見えてくる。例えば、操作が難解なYAMAHAのFMシンセサイザーは今まで「DX11」「TX81Z」「DX100」など出音に個性がある若干チープな機材を好んでいるのかと思っていたが、今回は「TX816」というそれ単体ではプログラミングできない、ややこしい業務機が入っている。(このTX816を制御する機材…DX7/QX1などは見当たらないので、古いマッキントッシュなどでパッチュの

{missing text} ているのでは?と思われるが詳細は不明である)※ そもそもTX816Wという記述自体が、TX16Wの誤記の可能性も否めないが…

アナログシンセサイザーを見ていっても、『Syro』の {???} にはSequential Circuitsのシンセサイザーである「Prophet VS」「Prophet 5」という徃年の名義を使用していたが、今回は微妙にマイナーチェンジされていて「Pro One」「Prophet 6」(※Sequential Circuitsを引き [???] ぐDave Smith Instruments製で2015年発売)と新型が紛れ込んでいる。思うに『Syro』の機材リストは「『Syro』では数あり機材の中で、これだけを使ったリスト」という事であって、リチャードのスタジオには、最先のアナログシンセも含めて、無数の機材がっていると思われる。アナログな音楽機材を収集する人間というのは少なくないが、この規模 [???] のラインナップから機材をチョイスし、毎度Sequentix Cirklonで制御した上で、アウトブットをSSLのミキサーに立ち上げる…というマニアックな作業工程は常軌を逸していると言わざるを得ない…。

また今作は、今までリチャードがほぼ使ってこなかったPCM音源という種別のシンセサイザーである、Emu「PROTEUS2500」が含まれているのも印象的だ。別名プリセットサンプラーとも言われるPCM音源は、テクノ/エレクトロニカの世界では評価が低く、リチャードがあえてこの機材をセレクトしてきたのは {???} きが大きかった。

KORG社のシンセだけを使ったAFX名義のEP「Korg Trax+Tunings for falling asleep」以降、リチャードは最新機材を含め、機材ラインナップを広げているのは明らかである。『Syro』のリリースの際は、ほぼ昔の機材(もしくは昔の機材のカスタム機)だけを使っている事を誇示していただけに、この方向転換には、心境や環境の変化もあるのだろうと推測される。

※注)なお、更に近年のリチャードの機材へのアプローチを堪能したいならリチャードの音源販売サイト(https://aphextwin.warp.net)で

{???}{???}できる「London 03.06.17」を一番されることをオススメすろ。{???}らかなPCMサウンドに{???}なるアンビエント「em2500 M253X」、ALESIS社のリバーブを巧みに{???}り空間の広がりとフィードバックを楽しめる「T13 Quadraverbia N+3」、YAMAHAのFMシンセサイザーで作られた電子音が飛び交う「T08 dx1+5」など、機材名が記されている楽曲が、どれもユニークなのだ。

…さて、話を「Collapse EP」に戻そう。全5曲がら構成されるこのEPは(先行公開された「T69 Collapse」がそうであったように)どの曲も、変則的なリズムの変化がスリリングで、1曲の中でビート/テンポの雰囲気がガラッと変わるようなドラマティックな展開あり、グリッジやフィードバックノイズ、{???}ったディレイ&リバーブ、そしてエイフェックス・ツインらしいコードやメロディが心地よいという、盛り沢山の内容で、ある{???}の{???}作{???}といっても過言ではない。

順に楽曲を追っていこう

1. T69 collapse

既にエイフェックス・ツインのライブで度々{???}{???}され、先行楽曲としてWeiardcoreの手による{???}ドーブなミュージックビデオ付きで公開されている楽曲(ちなみに、映像で切り取られている風景はリチャードゆかりのロケーションだそうだ)。スプリングリパーブの残響から始まるビートは、重たいキックを中心とした一定のイメージをキープしながらも、相当高度かつフリーキーなバターンで構成されている。音響面においても(『Syro』の時点よりも)、一層それぞれのビートの粒立ちの分離や、音の{???}さ/音圧/位相、ショートディレイ/フィードバックが制御され、アタックのスピード・コントロールも、精密かつダイナミックになっている印象だ。1分55秒のビートチェンジでは、転がり落ちるようなビートの断片が、眼の前の世界が崩れるような壮大的なサウンドスケープを見せてくれる(言葉で書くとチープだが、ここまでダイナミックな音像変化を見せてくれるテクノミュージックがかつてあっただろうか?)。

ドラムのプログラミングというには余りにも激しい連打や連呼が続く中での「ブリッ」「デュリッ」と [???] くアシッドベースは快楽指数が非常に高く、控えめに言っても恐ろしいレベルの怪作だ。

2. 1st 44

冒頭、80年代の初期デジタルサウンド感の強い音響から、いきなり飛び出してくるブレイクコア調のビート&ハープのグリッサンド、次にアシッドベースサウンド、次に往年のドラムンベース感のある曇ったシンセパッド…とリレーされていく、高速ビートサウンド。楽曲が進行する中、何度か大きなグリッジノイズを嗚らした上で、2分8秒から崩壞感のあるビートチェンジが組み込まれていて、目まぐるしく情景変化が続いていく。ビートの疾走感の上に、度々挟み込まれる飛行機のジェットノイズや爆発音も、楽曲の雰囲気に独特の彩りを添えており、古い電子音楽で多用されていた、サウンドエフェクトの魅力を思い起こさせてくれす。

3. MT1 t29r2

「Collapse EP」の楽曲は、全体に『Syro』よりも時間密度が高いが、この曲は特に、展開が多く目まぐるしいサウンドスケープが続く。現れては消えるシンセのシーケンスもドラムブレイクもどれもが濃厚で、まるでアルバムー枚分の美味しいブレイク部分をつなぎ合わせて、ダイジェストで聴かされている気分になる。同時に、改めてリチャード・D・ジェイムスというアーティストが、ここまで複雑なメロディコントロールが出来ることを思い知らされて、認識を改めさせられた。彼の脳内における、精密な音楽&音響制御力からは…例えば、クセナキスのような…摂理を超えてしまった狂人的な電子音楽家を凌駕ずるほどの迫力を感じる。

4. abundance10edit[2 R8's, FZ20m & a 909]

本EP中では、番ドラムサウンドの音像が、生々しく小ぶりに感じられる楽曲だが、その分、複雑なベスシーケンスやボイスサンプルが印象的である(クレジットと

おり、2台のR8と1台のTR909というリズムマシンにFZ20を中心に組み立てられているのだろう)。ベースのうねりと、打楽器のうねり方が入れ替わったり補い合ったり、もろにラテンパーカッションを意識したビートが出入りする様子は、リチャードの曲の中でも新基軸といえるのではないだろうか。

5. pthex

アナログシンセによる、キックサウンドに音程を与えたドデカイ低音溜まり、その上に浮かぶバーカッション、ボイスサンプルからスクラッチ(!?)、細かく刻まれたグリッジ/スキップサウンド。それらがグニャグニャした異常なテンションのうねりの中で、溶かされかき混ぜられている問題作。ブルブルと{???}えるようなトレモロヴィバラートや、逆回転だけではない音の再生方向の制御や音のブツギリ感、高度なクリスタル・ディレイ(ピッチが変化していくでィレイ)、バンニングと位相操作など、あらゆるサウンド効果を聴かせてくれる。狂った電子音に、シェイカーや、物音がカラカラと鳴る音も相まって、脳内を激しく揺さぶられる覚醒必須の楽曲である。

このように、カナリ激しい方向に発展を遂げた本作は、「Girl/Boy EP」やスケイアプッシャー「Feed Me Weird Things」を初めて聴いた時の衝撃を思い起こすような、気持ちになる。

2018年、この「Collapse EP」によって、自分逹の聴覚が開発されたことは喜ばしい。また「Collapse EP」によって新たなテクノミュージック・フリークが生まれることを願って止まない。

2018年8月

佐々木渉(クリプトン・フューチャー・メディア)

Since Syro, Richard D. James, Aphex Twin continues to work on a continuous and sophisticated basis, and it is well known that the range of music approach is expanding as an artist.
In addition, of course, these are connected to the activation of the techno / electronica, again his music and production techniques, has become the alternative of music production style of modern continue the convenience depends on the PC software, 2010s The current flow which has a strong impact because it is the present is very meaningful.

Especially the current work "Collapse EP" is exciting, anomalous drum breaks are heavily used, and the intense beat which was connected to the "Rushard Edge" from the aphe · twin "Richard D. James Album" The impression developing strongly is strong. At that time, those who were shocked by artists such as Square Pusher, Aphex Twin, or Kid 606, Veil, Funky Porcini should be particularly emotional.

Also in this time, the personality unique to Aphex Twin has also appeared in promotions and visual elements. July 29 3D display from the London subway advertisement to the signboard of the record shop TECHNIQUE in Tokyo Shibuya Udagawa Town on August 4th, as if the Apex · Twin · logo with effect applied to 5 places was embedded Let the fans exploit the quantum mechanics by embedding different meaningful texts of taste in both "artwork visual text" and "preceding music video", to make the net excitement and to fly art As if to fuel it, he is full of humor that is unique.

Since "Syro", Richard had been embedding Dema machine forest name in Innasroub and songs, but this work also includes "Roland R8", "CASIO FZ 20M", "Roland TR909" in the song title. Compared with the previous work "CHEETAH EP" which was named after the name of the legendary cult synthesizer "CHEETAH MS 800", it does not feel deep meaning, it can be said that it is a standard equipment that Richard always uses. Everything is a piece of equipment that was listed on Kyredit of "Syro".

If but rather to speak of the equipment of this work, was published to YouTube as Muyu over music video ahead of the release "T69 Collapse" (https: //youtu.be/Sqa ... seems to indicate the Zumumashin.

【T69 Collapse MV: Equipment list】
Sequential Circuits Pro One (not stated in "※ Syro")
Arp 2500
Yamaha CS 40 (Not stated in "Syro")
Roland MKS 50
Yamaha TX 81 Z
DSI Prophet 6 (No description in ※ "Syro": synth released in 2015)
Emu 2500 (= Proteus 2500) (※ not stated in "Syro")
SDE (= Simmons SDE) (In the case of "Syro", is it misspelled?)
Rhodes Chroma
Elektron Analog RYTM (No description in ※ "Syro": rhythm machine released in 2014)
Yamaha TX 816 w × 2 (※ not stated in "Syro")

... By comparing this list with the equipment information after "Syro", you can see that Richer's equipment collection habits are becoming wider. For example, YAMAHA's FM synthesizer, which is difficult to operate, thought that he liked a slightly cheap machine that has individuality in sound emission, such as "DX11", "TX 81 Z", "DX 100", but this time it is called "TX 816" It has confusing business machines that can not be programmed alone. (Equipment to control this TX 816 ... Since I can not find DX 7 / QX 1, etc., I can not find patches in old Macintosh etc

Is it {missing text}? Although it seems but the details are unknown.) * Although the description itself TX 816 W does not deny the possibility of wrong writing of TX 16 W in the first place ...

Even though I looked at the analog synthesizer, I used the name of the year of the year called "Prophet VS" and "Prophet 5" which is a synthesizer of Sequential Circuits at "???} of" Syro ", but this time it was delicately It is a minor change and "Pro One" "Prophet 6" (draw Sequential Circuits * made by Dave Smith Instruments released in 2015) and a new model are missing. I think that "Syro" 's equipment list is "a list using only a number of equipment in" Syro ", and Richard's studio includes countless It seems that the equipment is running. Although it is not often a human being who collects analog music equipment, it is said that choosing equipment from this line of [???] lineup, controlling every time with Sequentix Cirklon, and launching outbits into SSL mixer ... maniac It must be said that the work process is missing ordinary ....

Also it is impressive that this work includes Emu "PROTEUS 2500" which is a type of synthesizer called PCM sound source which Richard has not used almost until now. The PCM sound source, also known as a preset sampler, has a low evaluation in the world of techno / electronica, and Richard dared to select this equipment was large.

Since Korg's synths only AFX name EP "Korg Trax + Tunings for falling asleep", Richard apparently extends the equipment lineup including the latest equipment. When releasing "Syro", as we were showing off that we are using only the old machine (or custom machine of old machine), this change of direction also has a change in the mind and the environment It is presumed that it is wax.

※ Note) Furthermore, if you want to enjoy Richard's approach to equipment in recent years, at Richard's sound source sales site (https://aphextwin.warp.net)

{???} {???} Yes I recommend you to be the best "London 03.06.17". Ambient "em2500 M253X" which is like {???} for PCM sound, "T13 Quadraverbia N + 3" which skillfully reveals ALESIS reverb and enjoy the spread of space and feedback, Every piece of music whose name is described, such as "T08 dx1 + 5" where electronic sounds made by YAMAHA's FM synthesizer flutter, are all unique.

... Now, let 's return the story to' Collapse EP '. This EP made up of all five bends (as it was in the pre-published "T69 Collapse") is a thrilling change in anomalous rhythm, a beat / tempo atmosphere in one song There is a dramatic development that changes with a glitch, there are plenty of contents, such as glitch and feedback noise, delayed & reverb with {???} and comfortable code and melody like Aphex twin, there are {???} It is not an exaggeration to call {???} work {???} of

Let's follow the music in order
1. T69 collapse
Already been often in the live of Aphex Twin {???} {???}, the music that has been published with a {???} a Dove music video by Weiardcore of hand as the preceding song (by the way, is cut in the video It seems that the landscape that I am seeing is a location related to Richard). The beat starting from the reverberation of the spring reperb consists of a considerably advanced and free key pattern while keeping a constant image centered on a heavy kick. Also in the acoustic surface (than at the time of "Syro"), the separation of graininess of each beat, the {???} sound / sound pressure / phase of sound, short delay / feedback are controlled and the speed of attack · The control is also an impression that it is precise and dynamic. The beat change of 1 minute 55 seconds, a fragment of the beat, such as roll off, show me the grand soundscapes, such as before the world's eye is lost (but cheap and write in words, dynamic sound image changes up to this point Was there once a techno music that showed you?).

"Buri" "Duritsu" and "Acid bass" [???] Acid bass in the continuation of too much intensely repeated hits and consecutive calls of drum programming has a very high pleasure index, and even if it says sparingly, a monstrous level of monstrous level It is.

2. 1st 44
At the beginning, from the strong sound of the early digital sound in the 1980's, the break core beat and beat harp glissando that jumps out suddenly, then the acid base sound, then the cloudy synth pad with the feeling of the former drums bass ... and the relay It is going to be fast beat sound. While the song is progressing, beating changes with disintegrating from 2 minutes and 8 seconds are built in after huge gliding noise several times, and the scene change continues quickly. Jet noise and explosion sound of an airplane sometimes get caught on the beat's sprint feeling adds a unique color to the atmosphere of the song and reminds me of the charm of the sound effect that was frequently used in old electronic music .

3. MT 1 t 29 r 2
The songs of "Collapse EP" have a higher temporal density than "Syro" as a whole, but this song is particularly evolving and a rapidly developing soundscape continues. The sequence of synths that disappear and the drum breaks are rich in nature, just like joining the delicious breaks of albums, it makes me feel like being listened to by the digest. At the same time, once again Richard D. James was made aware of the fact that the artist can perceive complex melody control so far. From his precise musical & sound control power in his brain ... I feel a force that surpasses a madmannic electronic musician who has passed beyond providence like Xenakis.

4. abundance 10edit [2 R 8's, FZ 20 m & a 909]
In this EP, the sound image of the drum sound is felt vividly and smallly, but the complex Bess sequence and the voice sample are impressive by that much (credit and

It seems that it is assembled around the FZ 20 in the rhythm machine of two R8s and one TR909). Based and swell, or complemented each or swapped more percussion instruments of swell, all the way how the beat with an awareness of Latin percussion and out is, would not say the new cornerstone among the songs of Richard.

5. pthex
Dogei bass bass pool giving a pitch to the kick sound by analog synthesizer, bar casion floating on it, scratch (!?) From the voice sample, finely carved glitch / skip sound. A problematic work that is melted and stirring in the undulation of unusual tension that they are Gagnaggia. Tremolo vivarato that can produce Buruburu {???}, control of the direction of playing not only reverse rotation, the feeling of the sound, the advanced crystal delay (delay as the pitch changes), vanning and You can listen to all sound effects such as phase manipulation. Crazy electronic sound, together with shakers and sounds that sounds thirsty, is a mandatory arousal song that is shaken violently in the brain.

In this way, this work has evolved quite intense direction, such as remember the shock when I heard the first time, "Girl / Boy EP" and schedule Oia pusher "Feed Me Weird Things", become feelings.

In 2018, I am pleased that my own hearing was developed by this "Collapse EP".

Archived