IGNORED

Laptops?

bendish

...that won't destroy my bank balance?

Funny all of you are recommending machines most are above 1000€.

Look again. ThinkPad T460 is available brand new for around £650.

Didn't say all, but most :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of asking this myself. My desktop finally bit the dust. For me the main requirement is something with enough space to digitize .wavs from tape and run DAW like ableton or something comparable. Ideally run with a US-122 audio interface I still have.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that as PAWGdust - like some delicacy that is harvested from PAWGs and sold to French restaurants.

my DELL XPS from 2012 lasted 5 years, replaced it with a lesser laptop from the same year. Does with job with video/ photo editing.

Def sounds like you don't need a top of the line laptop for what you plan on using it for.

• 2 weeks later...

didnt want to start a whole new thread, i need a new production PC purely for the studio. im just wondering, is there any reason not to use the $600 example in here,

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/build-pc-music-production-audio-daw#examples

but just upgrade the processor to a roughly £300 one, with integrated GPU because i wont be doing any gaming atall?

i just need to be able to run up to 20 tracks with a maximum of 20 vst effects on, i dont use processor munching softsynths or anything. my home/gaming/production pc which was £1200 5 years ago has never even faltered with ableton, so i was hoping i could get something sorted with a 700 quid budget.

run up to 20 tracks with a maximum of 20 vst effects on

that's a bit vague, it can be nothing or heavy as fuck.

we don't appreciate pussy ass pcs in here. just go for the next tier, the 1500$ one, cpu power won't go to waste, eventually software will catch up. bigger and faster ssd will always be useful. just cut the gfx card and replace the power supply to something around 500 watts, no need for more.

• 1 month later...

My rig finally bit the dust over the break. I mean, dead, done, gone, dead. Sad not being able to work on music right now but, after a momentary feeling of devastation, I'm kind of grateful I get to start over from scratch. Sort of liberating in a way. 

Anyway, I'm going to go the laptop route, partly b/c I'm going back to school soon and need one for that. I can't sink nearly the same sort of money I did into my rig (at the time, was investing in it for VR business). Probably no more than $800 and that's depending on if I get financial aide. Is the consensus here that Thinkpads are still a solid investment? Are there other recommendations? At this point, I realize I'll no longer be able to run 4 instances of Serum, + 1 Reaktor, + effects on each track, blah blah - but I would like to be able to, say, run at least a few processor intense VST's without the machine buckling under the strain. 

Thoughts? 

Levono Thinkpad most def. T series is absolutely solid out of the box, good options for the price and they last a very long time. MSI have some good options too but you're probably looking at $1000 to begin for them. Get at least 256gb SSD whatever the case. Makes a huge difference with loading times. Just don't get a mac because Apple is like evil-Nintendo and owns both the software and hardware and if anything breaks, you have a problem, or you have to fuck around with their silly DRM, they have a monopoly over everything and will charge you out of the ass for it because they can.

Levono Thinkpad most def. T series is absolutely solid out of the box, good options for the price and they last a very long time. MSI have some good options too but you're probably looking at $1000 to begin for them. Get at least 256gb SSD whatever the case. Makes a huge difference with loading times. Just don't get a mac because Apple is like evil-Nintendo and owns both the software and hardware and if anything breaks, you have a problem, or you have to fuck around with their silly DRM, they have a monopoly over everything and will charge you out of the ass for it because they can.

Ta Ent! Ok, this is very helpful. I'm a long ago convert to SSD. Let me know if you have thoughts on how much RAM. I'm used to. . .something ridiculous like 32 gigs but guessing the standard 8 gigs most laptops come with is not going to cut it. 

Some decent sales on T-series through my work discount so will look in to those. Oh, yeah, swore off Apple ages ago - so glad I did. Their steady cascade of business decisions designed to totally fuck their customers is disgusting. 

Get yo self a phat ass iMac G3, tropical blue so you can play Sim City 2 and 3, fuckin Oregon Trail 2, fuckin The Sims

lel. I was going to say they need to make a Oregon Trail 2 but then I googled and they totally did. Had no idea. I like Oregon trail 7 aka Red Dead Redemption 2. . . ALL YOUR OXEN ARE DEAD

Ta Ent! Ok, this is very helpful. I'm a long ago convert to SSD. Let me know if you have thoughts on how much RAM. I'm used to. . .something ridiculous like 32 gigs but guessing the standard 8 gigs most laptops come with is not going to cut it. 

Some decent sales on T-series through my work discount so will look in to those. Oh, yeah, swore off Apple ages ago - so glad I did. Their steady cascade of business decisions designed to totally fuck their customers is disgusting. 

I'd say 8GB is definitely an absolute minimum these days.

I'd say 8GB is definitely an absolute minimum these days.

Cheers. Yeah . . . it's interesting, doing tons of research today on this so will share here in case it helps anyone else out (also, I might have some of this wrong, so def chime in to correct):

1. Apparently, there is a fairly steep increase in quality between gen7 and gen 8 intel processors. Enough to warrant NOT getting an older generation if possible. In particular, i5 processors now are quad-core and support hyperthreading which means they can now make the jump to ludicrous speed. 
  2. No one even recommended this, but the Thinkpad Yoga (only reason I looked is b/c they are on super clearance sale) has limited RAM capacity. In the smaller screen model, only 8-gigs.
    1. This lead me down a bit of a rabbit hole. Even with non-Yoga Thinkpad's, keep an eye out for RAM limitations. E.g., some models will ONLY allow up X gigs, and this appears to also be somewhat dependent on the processor (so, like, consider you might be adding cost for a slightly better processor to accommodate more RAM+ the RAM itself). 
  3. There are a lot of people who do not know WTF they are talking about making recommendations about things on the internet. You can count me in that camp, but . . . I mean. .. "any DAW you use will need X amount of RAM to run" and sure OK, but, like are you JUST going to, like, open up Reaper and press the play button? Or, I don't know, are you going to use a ton of VST's + audio record, etc. etc. Or, "the last-gen i7 is going to be better than the current gen i5 because 7 is a higher number than 5" . . . impeccable logic but. . . really? 
  4. Legitimate non-snarky question time. In the review here, the author states:  "In addition, it also has an NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 106, which will be an extra help for your RAM usage when producing music, as it’ll help with some plugin processing."
    1. Does this make any sense? I'm really asking, because I don't understand how the gfx card would help with audio processing. 

^4th gen intel processor that has is a bit old now. So it depends on what the 'relatively basic things' you're wanting to do are: if you want to get on Facebook WATMM and send emails and that's about it, you'd be better off getting something newer without the Thinkpad branding for the same price. (hell a Chromebook might be a better option if you're just looking to internet)

If you're wanting to just do DAW work or something like that then an older processor may not matter too much, and the durability associated with (correctly or not) Thinkpad is probably what you're looking for....8G of RAM will do you alright either way, but don't expect the zippiest little thing of course. 

had thinkies since i can remember..i always buy something like 2-3 gen back but with top configuration(i7quad, full ram, best display option)..fraction of the original price and you're really not that far behind performance-wise..solid maccinas, running almost 24/7 for years..

the intel U series is optimized towards low power consumption ..if you are doing some DAW/AV work i would go for the M or H(Q) series..

Archived