IGNORED

Aphex Twin 2019 Live Dates

____-_-____

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the mexican meme-game there have been loads of joke-events floating around this week such as "Aphex Twin at Los Pinos" (the white house) and "Aphex Twin at Casa de Toño" (a popular restaurant chain) and "Aphex Twin playing live in the line for gasoline" (relevant meme because mexico is having gas issues right now and there are huge lines at all the stations).  You kinda have to get the references for it to be funny, but its a subtle jab at aphex not being the perfect fit for the "popular artists" crowd of ceremonia.

Just throught you should all know that :)

aphex sells tamales oaxaqueños from his bike

ps.

im trying to give you guys a side of mexico other than just sombreros.  but they actually just turned out creepy.  i should also get back to work, lol

Sr5h82w.jpg

In the mexican meme-game there have been loads of joke-events floating around this week such as "Aphex Twin at Los Pinos" (the white house) and "Aphex Twin at Casa de Toño" (a popular restaurant chain) and "Aphex Twin playing live in the line for gasoline" (relevant meme because mexico is having gas issues right now and there are huge lines at all the stations). You kinda have to get the references for it to be funny, but its a subtle jab at aphex not being the perfect fit for the "popular artists" crowd of ceremonia.

Just throught you should all know that :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/M7JZLqE

Just for the foreigners, it is not exactly at CDMX, it is quite far from it:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Centro+Din%C3%A1mico+Pegaso/@19.435131,-99.7494841,9.82z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sforo+pegaso!3m4!1s0x85d274d817a191f9:0xb6c14014e5a6e929!8m2!3d19.3675403!4d-99.5574229

If you're gonna plan a trip to here. Nearest airport is Aeropuerto Internacional de Toluca.

Yes buuuut; i still highly recommend going through mexico city (airport and to stay).  Besides most US airlines currently only go to AICM, theres also just way more to see/do in cdmx.  I've had people who are from Toluca tell me there isnt anything to do in their city.. There will likely be a shuttle from cdmx, as many other festivals do that.

I also have a giant google-map of things to see, do, eat in cdmx that I usually fwd to visitors, if anyone is interested.

¡watmm méxico! nos vemos ahi

Mexico City is so huge and chaotic; you really need to know where you're going and more importantly, who to trust - do NOT use Uber/Lyft, especially if you are female as many drivers there are not legit and have bought accounts to rob/rape unsuspecting victims.

If the venue is in Toluca, fly into and stay in CDMX (I recommend this hotel right by the airport; really nice and safe): https://www.cityexpress.com/en/express/hotels-mexico/ciudad-de-mexico/venustiano-carranza/aeropuerto

Have the hotel call you a taxi to the bus station - don't just flag down one.

And then take a tour bus to Toluca, something like Primera Plus (you can get tickets online).

That's my two cents for anyone attempting this trip.

Joyrex Wtf?

Uber is totally fine and safe.

Cityexpress is an ugly hotel chain that look and feel like hospitals. Although if you're just spending a night or two I guess it's fine.

I'd recommend spending the night (morning?) at Toluca after the event.

If you're staying for longer I'd try air bnb and go for staying at some hip neighborhood not too far from downtown.

mexxxico fuckin rules! I hope to go there some day for a few weeks

so cool afx is playing, people are gonna loose their minds and it's a great line up but flol at pussy riot playing there, jesus yukkk

Joyrex Wtf?

Cityexpress is an ugly hotel chain that look and feel like hospitals. Although if you're just spending a night or two I guess it's fine.

If you're staying for longer I'd try air bnb and go for staying at some hip neighborhood not too far from downtown.

From an american expat who lives in cdmx, Gordo definitely more correct than 'boss here.  Uber is considered the safe / posh way to get around, and its certainly not some wild west.  I imagine loads of people coming from usa will just take uber from cdmx to and from the festival.

Im still waiting to see if there is an official ceremonia shuttle between cdmx centro (typically, roma/condesa neighborhoods, which are the hip areas gordo mentions) and the festival grounds.  Many other festivals do that.  Transportation section of the official website still says "more information soon"

Joyrex Wtf?

From an american expat who lives in cdmx, Gordo definitely more correct than 'boss here.  Uber is considered the safe / posh way to get around, and its certainly not some wild west.  I imagine loads of people coming from usa will just take uber from cdmx to and from the festival.

Im still waiting to see if there is an official ceremonia shuttle between cdmx centro (typically, roma/condesa neighborhoods, which are the hip areas gordo mentions) and the festival grounds.  Many other festivals do that.  Transportation section of the official website still says "more information soon"

I was just in CDMX (on my way to SMA) earlier this year, and some friends (one of which is a Uber driver himself) told me and my wife this, and his friend who teaches English agreed.

Sure, the posh areas like Condesa I would assume are safe®, but right outside the international airport it is like day and night. You also need to realize that unless you know what you're doing, it can be easy to get lost/misled, especially if your command of the language is not strong. Living somewhere is a lot different than visiting.

I don't mean to strike fear into anyone, but keeping your wits about you is sensible.

I stayed overnight at CityExpress, and yes - it's clean and a bit sterile, but for a few nights' stay it's cheap and fine. Perhaps @Gordo or @Marked x One could suggest as good or better places to stay?

I'd echo gordo's rec, if the festival is the only goal, flying to toluca and staying close is possible.  But in general i'd recommend a hotel, hostel, or airbnb in a central neighborhood such as condesa, roma norte, juarez.  For transport, I personally have never heard of any problems taking uber from the airport to get to your place.

And I'd recommend visiting for longer than just the festival if possible because there is a ton to see in cdmx! Of course your cautions and the language barrier make sense as for any superlarge city, but all the americans/visitors who have come here have been surprised how easy it is to get around and have had a great time.  Im happy to answer any other questions people have

Perhaps @Gordo or @Marked x One could suggest as good or better places to stay?

Joyrex Wtf?

I was just in CDMX (on my way to SMA) earlier this year, and some friends (one of which is a Uber driver himself) told me and my wife this, and his friend who teaches English agreed.

Sure, the posh areas like Condesa I would assume are safe®, but right outside the international airport it is like day and night. You also need to realize that unless you know what you're doing, it can be easy to get lost/misled, especially if your command of the language is not strong. Living somewhere is a lot different than visiting.

I don't mean to strike fear into anyone, but keeping your wits about you is sensible.

I stayed overnight at CityExpress, and yes - it's clean and a bit sterile, but for a few nights' stay it's cheap and fine. Perhaps @Gordo or @Marked x One could suggest as good or better places to stay?

If you're just in transit City Express is ok. That's pretty much what they're made for; Express business trips (and unexpected sexy times). They're clean and discreet but you won't get anything else more from them.

If you're planning to spend some time in the city tho I think an Airbnb is the best bet. I don't really know much about hotels tbh, well located ones are probably expensive.

Re: Uber. Dunno man I've only been raped once and he was really nice, gave me a water bottle and everything after.

Kidding aside I can't recall a single instance of something bad happening at an Uber Ride, at least in cdmx. Beats riding a taxi for sure. But I guess your point is good, be attentive and call out whatever you feel is shady.

RE transport to Ceremonia, I just asked their facebook page and got confirmation that there will be a direct connection from cdmx>

"Hi! Yes, every year there are buses that take you from several spots in Mexico City to the venue. Very soon we'll give further info 2728.png"

Archived