IGNORED

Tsugi interview (new, incomplete)

mTesc

We are limited by the amount of music that we can release in physical format each year. I do not know if Warp would agree to get out more. Would the audience follow? Would our music be devalued?

Guess my answer Sean...

RB: Each project must justify its existence by reasons that makes it unique. In the case of these sessions, we were offered a unique opportunity: to take everyone by surprise by presenting eight hours of Autechre music unpublished by a new bias and at a time nobody expected. Nobody knew about it, not even the people on the radio.

Ha, amazing.

Some people criticize the music of Autechre for being unable to be "explained". we hear a lot the complaints of those who worship your record up to "Tri repetae", and consider that then your music became opaque and obscure.

SB: We grew up in Manchester listening to soul and electro hip-hop on the radio. Then we grew a passion for architecture and design, maths and sound in general. It's not more complicated than that. On the other hand, it is excruciatingly difficult for me to know what could make happy people who only love our first three albums. I know we are being criticized for making music randomly, by pressing buttons at random. In view of our work process, it is inexplicable. I imagine our music works like a Rorschach test. Some people see something, others nothing. But doesn't the fact that some see it something is the best proof that there is something to see?

...such an elegant proof of aesthetic objectivism imo

Haha.

The usual dynamic, but with Sean even more off-the-chain and irreverent than usual, very candid. Rob typically chipping in with profound bits, but Sean got off the lush leash.

Always enjoy reading interviews with them, but couldn't help but think a few things got lost in the round-trip translation back to english on this one.

We are limited by the amount of music that we can release in physical format each year. I do not know if Warp would agree to get out more. Would the audience follow? Would our music be devalued?

Guess my answer Sean...

Pls?

Guess my answer Sean...

Pls?
Put it on the webstore and find out!

Isn’t that the point of the bleepstores?

^assume he's just referring to physical releases there, which (usually) requires some decent leadup time for production and all of course. I can't speak for all the AE fanboys out there but if they just started throwing up any random thing from their harddrives saying 'pre-order the vinyl/CD sets of this and if there's enough pre-orders then we'll produce them, could take months or maybe a year or more' then yeah, maybe it starts to be 'devalued' to some degree. Just a regular AE kickstarter in a way, would feel a bit silly imo.

Digital only is a different thing of course.

Also was glad to hear them saying they're probably moving away from the huge amounts of music. I do hope they try out more like Quaristice where there's a proper album, then maybe some companion digital/special stuff. AE's gonna AE tho so who knows what'll happen.

Archived