IGNORED

Tsugi interview (new, incomplete)

mTesc

would love more ae. 

i'm sure they have archives of things from different eras.  what'd they say in that interview long ago.. "we make 300 minutes of music for each album".. ? something like that.. so i'm sure there's lot's of tracks hanging around they could release digitally if they were into it. 

another focused album of exai length would be heaven too. 

4 track ep a month for a year? lol.. live sets from recent tour.. whatevs. 

bring it. 

would love more ae. 

i'm sure they have archives of things from different eras.  what'd they say in that interview long ago.. "we make 300 minutes of music for each album".. ? something like that.. so i'm sure there's lot's of tracks hanging around they could release digitally if they were into it. 

another focused album of exai length would be heaven too. 

4 track ep a month for a year? lol.. live sets from recent tour.. whatevs. 

bring it. 

Well said. Only thing I can add (already made a thread about it)  is that personally I'm hoping for a software application as an album at some point, but I'm sure the chances of that are pretty low, and i'm okay with that

My wish is that someday they write up how to build a system like theirs. Not in order to sound like Autechre but to take their general modular, improvisational software system approach - the basic building blocks, the biggest problems to solve, etc. I know they're kind of allergic to sharing this kind of information and I'm sure they have good reasons, but I feel like if that stuff was more common knowledge it could only lead to more good music.

My wish is that someday they write up how to build a system like theirs. Not in order to sound like Autechre but to take their general modular, improvisational software system approach - the basic building blocks, the biggest problems to solve, etc. I know they're kind of allergic to sharing this kind of information and I'm sure they have good reasons, but I feel like if that stuff was more common knowledge it could only lead to more good music.

Yeah, I think about this as well. I do think a lot of this kind of information is out there, in terms of existing work and documentation for Max and PD, it can just be really tough and daunting to sort through and parse. I've barely scratched the surface myself. I've been meaning to hit up Entorwellian, i think he knows a lot just based on some of his posts.

It would be nice if AE published some of their problem solving issues... a couple of totally subjective thoughts on why they won't:

1, I think that some of their problem solving is intertwined with what they want to achieve compositionally. So take the communications protocol they discussed in AAA that makes MIDI redundant, on the surface that seems like something they could share with the community without giving away their techniques, seeing as it improves baudrate, etc.. But they also built this to share specific kinds of data information, which may be pretty close to what they are doing that makes autechre autechre.

2. I think the same thing extends to their compositional system in general, there are aspects of the modularity and improvisation elements that probably precisely cater to what they want to achieve as atuechre. Additionally, this is pure speculation, but I don't think they program in max with the goal of making it well documented and resuable for a development community, so they may not want to put stuff out there that only makes sense to them.

I do not think it is possible to take into account how many times we have all begged for the soundboards of Quaristice and Oversteps. This is perhaps the most frequent obsession here in the forum. We can state that there is reasonable certainty that the publication would be accepted today as an earthquake. Yet it does not happen. Do they consider it a way to please "normal people"?

Take out the sounboards (god damn) pls!

Can live without the Oversteps soundboard as it won't be able to capture the energy of the Domino set. I think it would be too dry. But not having the Quaristice soundboard is suffering.

Can live without the Oversteps soundboard as it won't be able to capture the energy of the Domino set. I think it would be too dry. But not having the Quaristice soundboard is suffering.

This is a guess. Even AE_LIVE could have been too dry compared to the bootlegs, but today I have to say that I listen exclusively to the soundboards, and since their release I have not listened to the DSPH Krakow recordings, even though it was of high quality and captured the primitive feeling of the live experience. I am also sure that the soundboards of the Oversteps tour would reveal details that have been lost with the bootlegs. It seems to me, then, that S.B. talked about the idea of reshaping live recordings to make them suitable for a home system, even if the operation would make him run the risk of being sucked into an endless series of changes and improvements closely linked to "his autism".
Time ago I used to put the Quaristice tour before Oversteps, but the years have passed, and now it's at the second one that I look with frustration and languor. 

so, autechre  :catrage:  

This is a guess. Even AE_LIVE could have been too dry compared to the bootlegs, but today I have to say that I listen exclusively to the soundboards, and since their release I have not listened to the DSPH Krakow recordings, even though it was of high quality and captured the primitive feeling of the live experience. I am also sure that the soundboards of the Oversteps tour would reveal details that have been lost with the bootlegs. It seems to me, then, that S.B. talked about the idea of reshaping live recordings to make them suitable for a home system, even if the operation would make him run the risk of being sucked into an endless series of changes and improvements closely linked to "his autism".
Time ago I used to put the Quaristice tour before Oversteps, but the years have passed, and now it's at the second one that I look with frustration and languor. 

i lost it when i heard the krakow bootleg. i was at work and it got posted somewhere and all had was headphones hooked up to shitty work computer. i listened to it while doing some kind email checking tasks or someshit and just couldn't fucking get over what i was hearing. got really amped and felt like i just drank 2 cups of coffee and had no mutual ae uber fans around to share that joy/excitement with and thought my face might explode from the smiles. it was invigorating. ;)  i was totally envious of everyone who got to experience it live.  but i remember feeling like i was bearing witness to something and everyone else at work was missing it. 

when the soundboards came out it was just as intense i think. though differently. 

Yeah, I think about this as well. I do think a lot of this kind of information is out there, in terms of existing work and documentation for Max and PD, it can just be really tough and daunting to sort through and parse. I've barely scratched the surface myself. I've been meaning to hit up Entorwellian, i think he knows a lot just based on some of his posts.

I got a copy of Curtis Roads' Computer Music Tutorial when the college I worked at was getting rid of a load of books from their library. Think that is this sort of thing. One day I may even read it and put what I learn into action. Probably not anytime soon tho.

i lost it when i heard the krakow bootleg. i was at work and it got posted somewhere and all had was headphones hooked up to shitty work computer. i listened to it while doing some kind email checking tasks or someshit and just couldn't fucking get over what i was hearing. got really amped and felt like i just drank 2 cups of coffee and had no mutual ae uber fans around to share that joy/excitement with and thought my face might explode from the smiles. it was invigorating. ;)  i was totally envious of everyone who got to experience it live.  but i remember feeling like i was bearing witness to something and everyone else at work was missing it. 

when the soundboards came out it was just as intense i think. though differently. 

I'm also very attached to the Krakow date: for family reasons, for the past two years I had only attended hospitals and home walls, I had not even given two days of respite. When I learned of the date at the Sacrum Profanum Fest I forced myself to go: it was an ultimatum to verify that I still had human sparks. What I heard that night went beyond all expectations, it was a therapeutic event. The bootleg, discovered a few days later, became an obsession. And the publication of soundboards made me launch a shout of incredulously satisfaction that I think it's still echoing in the valleys of the Apuan mountains.

I caned the fuck out of the Krakow soundboard but much prefer the AE LIVE release of it. The thing with the Oversteps sets is it's only the Domino recording that really worked too well, it's just pure fire the whole way through. But the other recordings people rave on about are mostly dull thuds that probably sound okay in a room, like when I saw their show at Bloc, it just sounded so awful and flat. They even alluded to how the sound was fucked at that show in the AAA if I remember right. If it was going to be released I can imagine they would want to do a bunch of work on it first, but honestly I'd rather the Quaristice LA show was put out on a soundboard because it's basically perfect.

check the post i just made in the 'autechre production methods speculation' thread. i would bet their current system is something very similar to this: https://ppooll.klingt.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

i used to use this back in the day when it was known as 'lloopp'. very powerful & easy to use once you understand how the interface is laid out. you don't even need to know how to program in Max to get started with it.

• 5 weeks later...

I do not think it is possible to take into account how many times we have all begged for the soundboards of Quaristice and Oversteps. This is perhaps the most frequent obsession here in the forum. We can state that there is reasonable certainty that the publication would be accepted today as an earthquake. Yet it does not happen. Do they consider it a way to please "normal people"?

Take out the sounboards (god damn) pls!

I wonder if my recent intervention, exhausted and out of topic, has served as a decisive push to get the files: "okay, you broke our cocks: take these damn presets, do it yourself and fuckoff"
                                                                       - Sean Booth.

So we have to do: take them for exhaustion.

And now: Oversteps tour!

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I have discovered the "second surce" of Domino I can understand what you mean, but (listening to the other 2010 bootlegs) I can say that each date of that tour is extremely different and singular: times change, intertwining: maybe more of every other sets, the 2010 one is a Pythagorean adventure. The 2014/2015 set is distinguished by the variety of sounds and revolutions, the 2008 set for the incredible succession of melodies, but in 2010 we fully enter into the abstract world of ae. I invite everyone to listen again to the Melburne date: moments like this, or the section with the straight kick, which never like in this case is varied, tumultuous and full of dialogue with the synths, in a disarming crescendo. Or the Turin date, with eschatological breaks like this one.

By virtue of the substantial differences in every single date, I still believe that the Oversteps tour deserves a series of soundboards more than any other. If the bootlegs do not have the same effectiveness as Domino, I think it's only because of the poor quality of the recordings: more reason to hope for a publication.
Maybe I can live without, but I'd rather live with.

Archived