IGNORED

experimental early hip hop / electro / turntablism

All these styles are broadly covered by existing threads, but I wanted to make a thread focused on the more "out there" stuff (pretty much all of which seems to be from the early-mid 80s) because a lot of it's still really mind-blowing, to me at least. I used to assume that Ae's love of early hip hop was mostly nostalgia-driven, but now I think get it. Anyways I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or recs. My “knowledge” comes solely from youtube vids.

A few tracks:

But where it gets really interesting is the mixes:

(Was ambitiously going to title this thread "was electronic music more adventurous in the 20th century?" but I'm definitely not smart enough to defend such a claim.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very forward-thinking plunder-phonics from Double Dee and Steinski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f7glXySqvg

both RDJ and Autechre have played this one in DJ sets, technically electro I guess

this one still blows my mind

Great, interesting choices so far guys--as expected.  :beer:

both RDJ and Autechre have played this one in DJ sets, technically electro I guess

They both played Set It Off? That's awesome. It's a great track but I wouldn't have necessarily thought it was their kind of thing.

One more with a more "direct" connection to autechre. Love how one of the samples sounds like a voice morphing into an electric guitar.

FFFFFFresh thread and contributions so far m88s :catsalute:

I'ma drop this right here, whole album is dope actually, perfect alchemy of electro/scratch styles with the early JBs funk loop sampling... and yeah some young upstart MC going by Kool Kieth is on it too

Also this was my first ever intro to turntablism, first track on a breakdancing tape I got as a tiny shit in the 80s.  The pauses at the start made me think my tape was broken! Pretty amazing that this was a live take recorded from his mixer & 3 turntables, 1982

Lastly, I know Siggy & Rick are big fans of this one, features in most of their megamixes (note to self: go back and listen to their Dekmantel podcast, 4+ hours nonstop oldskool fire)

They both played Set It Off? That's awesome. It's a great track but I wouldn't have necessarily thought it was their kind of thing.

Aphex played it at Coachella and I heard it in a Autechre set online, forget which one though. They both play some pretty diverse sets often, including older obscure stuff though AE in particular play a lot of hip-hop and electro. 

Aphex played it at Coachella and I heard it in a Autechre set online, forget which one though. They both play some pretty diverse sets often, including older obscure stuff though AE in particular play a lot of hip-hop and electro. 

Rich also dropped this (ATP, UCLA 2002):

Also instrumental of this (ATP Minehead 2003 I believe):

^ the manipulation of "owner of a lonely heart" vocal from about 0:35 to 0:44 is insane

^ song about 4 min in kind of sucks but the first part at least...

this one still blows my mind

Damn right. rocked this ad nauseam back in the day. Fist pumped like a chump when it was used in Shaun of the dead.

Archived