IGNORED

Where do I start with Autechre?

Decoy Blimp

Hello knob twiddlers!

I've been getting into stuff like Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin as of late (moreso Aphex Twin) and I want to check out Autechre, but since they have a monolithic body of work I'm not really sure where to start. I'm intrigued by the elseq 1-5 albums and the NTS sessions, but those things are so freaking huge that I don't think I should start there.

What would you all recommend? Tri Repidae?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started with what was the newest out at the time (Draft 7.30) and worked my way backwards. So there's no reason not to do to the same w/r/t to elseq & NTS...

Having said that, yeah I'd go for the sweet spot where their evolution was exponential with each album tri rep/chiastic slide/LP5/confield then work your way back & forth from them?

))<>((

Having said that, yeah I'd go for the sweet spot where their evolution was exponential with each album tri rep/chiastic slide/LP5/confield then work your way back & forth from them?

nailed it, lp5 is when they clicked for me

Yeah, start small. Takes a while to develop ears for AE. And you do that most likely with a single album. I started my trip with chiastic slide. So thats a possibility. They released a collection of their remixes a while ago. Might be interesting to try as it covers a broader spectrum.

Edit.: got confused. It was their ep collection. Still though, could be a nice start for the same reason

He told you he likes BOC and Aphex Span. That's as good a starting point as any.

I would go with what Hello Spiral said in his second paragraph. That's as good a starting point as any. But Exai is not a bad shout either.

I envy you such Abundance.

I went Amber-Quaristice-rest and that worked for me. Quaristice in combination with a 90s album should be a good primer to sit with for a while, then go Exai followed by Confield.

I started by listening to short mp3 excerpts from Amber downloaded from Warp or fan sites, were about a minute and a half. That's about as much Autechre as anyone should start with imo. ;)

Tri Rep is a great starting place though OP. Or LP5 as mentioned, pretty different but not too out there necessarily, either should be good entry for someone already into Aphex and BoC.

i really believe listening to their albums in the order they were written is the best way to get into them, from Incunabula to Gantz Graf is a journey to the edge, and then once they hit Draft 7.30 you can hear them coming back again and from there they were free to do whatever they wanted. But that first ~10 years of work definitely has a linear relationship. 

I started with what was the newest out at the time (Draft 7.30) and worked my way backwards. So there's no reason not to do to the same w/r/t to elseq & NTS...

))<>((

This, and also just a general plug for Draft 7.30, also newest out at the time for me, and my personal favorite.

Thank you for all the responses everyone!

From what I've gathered from this I should start early on in their discography or listen to Exai. I have college apps to work on and Minecraft to play today so I'll probably listen to an album or two.

Why not start the with the EPs? They're not as long as the albums and you can faster find what you like and continue from there.

Maybe start with Garbage, Envane, or Gantz Graf then when hearing something that catches your attention check the album from that era.

I started with Tri Rep at first and it's great, but I'd probably recommend LP5 + EP7 as a starting point, I fell in love with those two instantly on first listen. LP5 is really accessible to my ears, it's full of lush melody, very emotionally resonant. And EP7 is similar but with an appeal to bangin hiphop grooves.

Also watch the Gantz Graf video.

My entry point was Chiastic Slide and then branches out in both directions from there (Trip Rep+Amber, and also LP5+EP7)

Then I slowly filled in with the other eps from those era and also incunabula

I’d recommend something similar

LP5/EP7 and the surrounding stuff is a good place to start

While I absolutely love Confield and Exai era, I think they need a buildup before launching straight in

Archived