IGNORED

Where do I start with Autechre?

Decoy Blimp

like Hello spiral, i fell into the tunnel with Draft: I was immediately fascinated, I sensed that there was something totally new in that record, but only time later I really found the key to get it. Initially, for exemple,  Surripere and IV VV IV VV VIII appeared to me as exercises of style and soundesign, they seemed boring: today I find them of an intrinsically musical beauty, every element is functional, nothing is merely aesthetic. But it's been thirteen years, maybe today could be more accessible even to the first listenings ...

At that time I was very attached to Ep7, which I judged as a perfect compromise between melody and abstraction. Today, again, I consider Ep7 as the fundamental passage, the element of fracture: as far as I'm concerned, Autechre starts with Ep7. But it doesn't represent "the peak".

Lp5: it still seems to me so tied to the schemes of what was then called IDM ... there are similarities with AphexT, there are "dramatic" staircases that today I do not seem to stand the test of time so solidly.

so, i say:
Ep7 >> Confield >> move of ten>>draft7.30>>exai>>overseps>>untilted>>AE_LIVE>>NTS>>quaristice>>elseq

I put Quaristice at the end not because it is structurally the least accessible but because, initially, it may seem like an album of brief abortive drafts. The Ae Paradox.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as someone else said maybe get the EP' (there's a nifty warp boxset you could get)

don't think you'll get a better, refined, and simpler route to follow on the Autechre Map than that tbh

My best advice would be to check out the era from Tri Repetae, to Chaiastic Slide, to LP5. Those ones give you a sense of the staggering changes in style/approach from one album to the next - Autechre are well known for being able to do this time and time again, always progressing.

When you like an album, listen to the EPs released around the same time - their EPs are like another set of albums on their own.

And altogether, try not to be overwhelmed by their discog - focus on your favourite album for a while if you want. Let it take its time :)

Exai I think is their most rounded modern LP. It's really accessible too and I think a lot of the elseq/NTS vols stuff meanders off the same thread as it, just in more longer, riffed-out tangents.

Chiastic/Tri Rep/LP5 are lovely middle ground territories of their earlier evolution.

It would be interesting to start with Lego Feet. It has a bunch of similarities with modern Autechre that you can't hear in the earliest Warp albums. And it isn't that badly dated.

I started with Incunabula and Amber in '99 and then jumped over to Chiastic Slide and LP5 and finally caught up with Confield on the release day. For some reason I didn't listen to Tri-Repetae until years later, and it's still a bit meh for me apart from some tracks (like Rsdio). Incunabula and Amber mostly hold a nostalgic value for me and I listen to them very rarely.

Chiastic I think was my first contact to Autechre, then got familair with the rest from that era and I think Confield had just come out when I was getting into them. Draft was what finally properly sold me on them (although Confield and all the previous album had already been in heavy rotation). Tri/Chi/LP5/Confield/Draft are probably a good place to start and move from there.

I would say the answer depends on how determined you are to get into Autechre. If you're already confident you're going to like them then just start at the beginning and work forward slowly, you'll get to experience some of the joy of following a band that's been consistently interesting for three decades. If you're just testing the water I'd recommend Chiastic Slide or Exai, they're both on the more accessible side and cover a lot of ground stylistically (they're also my two favourites, though, so I may be biased).

It would be interesting to start with Lego Feet. It has a bunch of similarities with modern Autechre that you can't hear in the earliest Warp albums. And it isn't that badly dated.

Lego Feet is fucking mint. Don't think it's dated at all.

Don't know what I think off it as an entry, but chronically is as good an approach as any.

Lego Feet is fucking mint. Don't think it's dated at all.

Don't know what I think off it as an entry, but chronically is as good an approach as any.

Duh chronologically

Archived