IGNORED

Where do I start with Autechre?

Decoy Blimp

She wants weird, and I want to start with something that will blow her world wide open. I'm going to do skim through EP7, LP5, Chiastic Slide and Confield, then make a decision based on my sense of what I would grab her most.

Gantz Graf? Or go Cap.IV and follow with GG for a nice 1-2 punch.

Orrrr GG video?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id start with eurodance

euro? no, not music

:) exactly

After euro id recommend subrange 6-36 on repeate and only then either gantz graf or bine, Vletrmx21 to tame the usual high preasure reactions; tears are welcommed.

I don't do playlists, full albums only. Good suggestion though. A more reasonable person might take it.

Oh, whole Gantz Graf EP then.

I do intend to listen to this with her after the initial priming.  Gantz Graf Ep is a masterpiece.  prob my favourite release in the entire catalog.  It's actually the perfect length for what it is.  They really nailed every second of that one.

Ahaha the first paragraph may well be true.  I definitely won't listen to Amber with her though.  They're so much awesome in their discog I can't be killing time with Amber.  Killing Time with Amber is a pretty good band name tbqh.

My wife likes confield, untilted and exai plus the early albums but she is not much into ae. I think confield has an alien sounding atmosphere to it without being intimidating like draft for example. Depending on previous musical preferences like tempo and aggressiveness i’d choose one of those three as a starting point.

My wife likes only Incunabula. For all the rest she says: I can't say it's wrong, I just don't like it.

same as my gf

interestingly, she really liked russell haswell @onesix show, ae not at all

My wife likes only Incunabula. For all the rest she says: I can't say it's wrong, I just don't like it.

same as my gf

So, basically, she's a masochist.

Hello knob twiddlers!

I've been getting into stuff like Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin as of late (moreso Aphex Twin) and I want to check out Autechre, but since they have a monolithic body of work I'm not really sure where to start. I'm intrigued by the elseq 1-5 albums and the NTS sessions, but those things are so freaking huge that I don't think I should start there.

What would you all recommend? Tri Repidae?

no don't.

I've heard in the past that the best way to get into Ae if you're new to them is the chronological approach - start with the early stuff and work your way east on the timeline.

I first discovered them in '97 from the Second Bad Vilbel music vid. From then I knew only of Incunabula, Amber and Tri Rep ++ until two years later. I was more Aphex leaning until I discovered EP7, which I had a hard time grasping at first that it was indeed Ae. But EP7 ultimately ended up being the one release that solidified them as my favorite band. Still holds true 20 years later.

But I'm rambling. Honestly my personal recommendation would be to start with Envane, then go with any release you want after that. There is no one-size, fits-all approach.

same as my gf

So, basically, she's a masochist.

Lol almost :)

Well russell was great, he was ‘different’, only he was too loud so we had to go outside od the building to properly enjoy the show. *sirius*

same as my gf

My wife REALLY HATES autechre, bless. Not as much as she hates Eleh though, she almost had a panic attack.

same as my gf

My wife REALLY HATES autechre, bless. Not as much as she hates Eleh though, she almost had a panic attack.

Hehe... mine too. In fact, she absolutely despises roughly 99% of the music I listen to. 

It's okay though, because I can stand to listen to music she likes... 

90's alternative and grunge along with some 80's rock. Pearl Jam and Nirvana are her favorites... so it's not horrible when she wants to listen to music. 

I let her play anything she wants to when we drink (about every night) - and she lets me pick the music when we take chemicals... 

Horrah for compromise! 

=P

Archived