IGNORED

Now That Bolsonaro's President...

dingformung

Why do people like these pieces of shit, I honestly don't get it, how can anyone listen to these people speak and not think "wow this dude's a fucking piece of shit"

Kind of been the big reveal to me since 2016, when it struck me on a new level how I work (retail -> public) in a city (edit: not San Diego proper) that largely voted for Trump, with the vitriol and stupidity oozing out at both national and state/local politics alike. 

There's something disheartening about so many people not being able to recognize a demagogue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from Brazil and its been quite depressing to see things go that way, it's pretty fucked up, Bolsonaro is a horrible human being and he's gonna be our president for the next 4 years, our country has been facing a mass hysteria where people think that he will kill all the criminals and cease a communist threat (a thing that never even exists, but apparently no one really wants to know the real meaning of that word here)

So yeah, fascists and religious fundamentalists people are being heard and taken serious which is really disturbing to say the least

His campaign made a vast use of the internet and some people claim it could've been financed by foreign companies (he's even been accused of slush fund but so far nothing has come up), if you wanna know more about it I'd highly recommend this video, all the sources he used is in the first comment and I think it concerns everyone (and it says a lot about how he made his campaign)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUTiRx9wD34

So yeah, we will have a fascist president that doesn't like minorities, he paid homage to a person's torture right in front of her and he incites violence against people who disagrees with him and is constantly attacking media.

b safe

I met two Brazilian girls a couple of weeks back that were horrified about what's going on back home and even thinking can they go back to Brazil anymore.

But yeah, asshole presidents dictators in Latin America.. not particularly a new thing. This time it's not backed by CIA (or Soviets) though.. :P

and burned down the National Museum where millions of invaluable and unique artworks were destroyed

Not to take away from any of your other accusations, but im pretty sure bolsonaro had nothing to do with the museum fire. The curators themselves had said that it was a fight with all of the previous governments to get enough funding, and the deferred maintainance and lack of adequete fire protection systems led to this preventable tragedy

I said his supporters burnt the Museum, not him personally.
I have read nothing about arson much less politically motivated arson. Not sure where you get your news, but do you have any sources on this?
You got me there. I have legit sources (mostly read Süddeutsche and Zeit, probably not known to you as they are German) but I read it wrong. Wouldn't have surprised me though

Absolutely hellish situation. One interesting thing I read (after translation):

https://www.estadao.com.br/infograficos/politica,bolsonaro-vence-em-97-das-cidades-mais-ricas-e-haddad-em-98-das-pobres,935854

bolsonaro wins in 97% of the richest cities and haddad in 98% of the poor

Why do people like these pieces of shit, I honestly don't get it, how can anyone listen to these people speak and not think "wow this dude's a fucking piece of shit"

These people know which lies they have to tell and how to twist humans around their fingers by exactly knowing the society and its problems at that time. To really understand that you probably need to have a really good understanding of the life circumstances and political and cultural history of the place. Bolsonaro's rhetoric works shockingly well for him. And the more in a dificult state a country is the more people are willing to lay their fate into the hands of a supposedly strong leader who is willing to take the initiative and make things right with aggressive means. In that way Bolsonaro is a reflection of emotions a lot of citizens have because of the current circumstances: anger, desperation, pain. He was elected in the naive idea that brutal circumstances require a brutal leader. And this pattern repeats. Whereever there is misery in one way or another despots can utilize it and use it to their advantage. It's saddening

Absolutely hellish situation. One interesting thing I read (after translation):

https://www.estadao.com.br/infograficos/politica,bolsonaro-vence-em-97-das-cidades-mais-ricas-e-haddad-em-98-das-pobres,935854

bolsonaro wins in 97% of the richest cities and haddad in 98% of the poor

this is the one thing that i found particularly interesting about the bolsonaro campaign, that it seemed to rely on middle class voters. it is fundamentally different from the trump campaign, which drew on working class and upper class voters (well...and a substantial amount of middle class voters too).

Carl Satan is just the latest of a global trend in rising fascism it seems. Was gonna post this yesterday but I forgot: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/brazil-jair-bolsonaro-facebook-elections

It's about a 20-minute read, but covers a timeline of this trend going back to 2010, and how the internet and social media are major players.

I have a sinking feeling that while this global fascism will subside eventually, it probably won't be any time soon.

shit. i hadn't seen the news that he won. i knew he won the first runoff or whatever. fuck. that sucks for brazil and everyone really. 

whole world leaning hard right

55% of the vote - a good chunk of the vote though are moderates, leftists, or independents who have bought the anti-corruption pitch by Bolsonaros. It really is the Trump campaign again. People are actively ignoring or downplaying his homophobia, racism, and condoning of authoritarian because they are that desperate for change. The right in Brazil has been playing that card for years.

The problem is that Bolsonaros isn't likely going to initiate draconian measures, actively oppress minorities or disadvantaged, etc. The problem is his rhetoric will encourage it and he'll look the other way. It's the same phenomenon that has occurred here in the US, the Phillipines, Turkey, Hungary, etc. Brash right-wing populist takes power and people excuse it so long as they feel they are making a little more money and spending a little less on taxes, all while still being exploited as things get worse for the opposition.

The lack of coverage of the situation in Nicaragua by the mainatream media is shameful to say the least, how many of you have even heard about it?

edit: nwae, this thread is about Brazil.. just saddens me how much suffering goes unheard by the masses

And Guatemala, El Salavador, Honduras. It's hellish how corrupt, violent, and hopeless those places are. That doesn't fit into the xenophobic rhetoric of the US right-wing narrative though. Citizens from those countries make up the bulk of immigrants trying to enter the US on the border - they are desperate and literally the quintessial definition of "refugee."

Oh, I actually hadn't heard that they were in a drought. I've read a lot of articles stating that South American countries have a ton of fresh water and aren't as in danger as North America concerning water.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2015/03/10/brasil-colombia-peru-paises-mas-agua-tienen-en-el-mundo

But I suppose that may have been wrong.

There’s one country that’s in no danger of drought, but we’re not giving up our water that easily...oh wait yes we are, you didn’t even have to invade us.

At the height of the drought in California, I knew at some point I might move to Canada or Alaska. Cuz, you know...I like to be able to drink water every now and again...

Oh, I actually hadn't heard that they were in a drought. I've read a lot of articles stating that South American countries have a ton of fresh water and aren't as in danger as North America concerning water.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2015/03/10/brasil-colombia-peru-paises-mas-agua-tienen-en-el-mundo

There’s one country that’s in no danger of drought, but we’re not giving up our water that easily...oh wait yes we are, you didn’t even have to invade us.

At the height of the drought in California, I knew at some point I might move to Canada or Alaska. Cuz, you know...I like to be able to drink water every now and again...

in alaska you can stick a straw into the ground and drink the melting permafrost. 

I guess thats how fascism works, you tell people they belong to a special kind of group and everything else is a threat, by exploring their fear and hatred they stop thinking clearly and become blind

not to mention project, project, project: big lies, gas-lighting, doublespeak

right-wing populism is refined bullshitting with horrible consequences

it's already looking bad - intellects and universities are already being targeted the way they were under the military dictatorships of the past

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/30/bolsonaro-win-students-urged-report-teachers-who-complain-whatsapp

I guess thats how fascism works, you tell people they belong to a special kind of group and everything else is a threat, by exploring their fear and hatred they stop thinking clearly and become blind

not to mention project, project, project: big lies, gas-lighting, doublespeak

this is not unique to fascism or right-wing populism... this is tribalism in general...

• 1 month later...

I remember a few months ago when I saw on the news that he'd been shot, I thought "isn't that the nutter Stephen Fry interviewed?"

IMO the Brazilian mainstream parties opened the door to this shit with their next-level corruption - they've basically rolled out the red carpet for whoever came along promising to "drain the swamp"

California's an environmental basket case even without climate change. Whoever the hell thought it'd be a good idea to plonk millions of people (and massive orchards that a whole continent becomes dependent on for food) in a fucking desert, that has periodic droughts and very limited groundwater, should be put against the wall. With climate change, it's a ticking timebomb. 

• 1 month later...

it's looking pretty grim

Ugh. Is there some unwritten rule that every nation has to experience leadership under some demagogic asshole at least once? Or is this neo-fascism crap just the latest geopolitical trend? Because last time that happened there were...uh...conflicts, that followed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived