IGNORED

Underworld - Drift

purlieu

I really hope this series gets a full release/physical even. So far this has been the best underworld experience I've had in... well probably over a decade? These tracks are really really good imo.

I really hope this series gets a full release/physical even. So far this has been the best underworld experience I've had in... well probably over a decade? These tracks are really really good imo.

Yeah they seem freer than they’ve been in years to experiment with their “sound”. Love it all so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just released the final track of Episode 2 that is a 50 minute epic featuring the Necks. Yes, you heard right.

Just got round to hearing this track - What an incredible release.... Might already be up their with my favourite Underworld releases of all time. 47 minutes of loveliness !

• 2 weeks later...

“Threat of Rain” out today. Chilled this is not.

15 minute techno banger.

Is there a specific name for this sub-genre of Techno - Super long form (10+ mins) and journey-like. My name for it is 'Railroad Techno' as it reminds me of a train trundling along relentlessly but I'm guessing there's a proper name for it - Plus can anyone suggest other artists/tracks that sound like this ?

“Threat of Rain” out today. Chilled this is not.

15 minute techno banger.

My name for it is 'Railroad Techno' as it reminds me of a train trundling along relentlessly but I'm guessing there's a proper name for it.

Dark and Long Dark Train-chno

Absolutely (and probably why I associate the sound of that sort of thing with trains!) :lol:

That track definitely features in the same category for the kind of thing I'm after

I figured! I love tracks like that, Dark and Long = classic. I haven't kept up with all the Drift tracks unfortunately, but I'm certainly hyped hearing there are some classic style Underworld tracks in there. I think I'll try and give Threat of Rain a listen tonight. 

=)

Been having a snooze on this! Played Drfit Episode 2 this morning and I was boppin' my noggin along big time.

Gonna spin it again asap (right now)

Edited by beerwolf

Appleshine Continuum (with the Necks) seems like a bit of classic to me. And I don't think I'm wrong! (I was expecting it to be turd to be honest)

The noggin' is boppin' in the groove to this . Magic monk style!!

• 2 weeks later...

What’s with the 160kbps vs 320 mp3 on this one? (Pinetum) and the general inconsistency in the encoding formats across the 3 “albums/eps”? (Don’t get me wrong. I’m psyched for free and quality Underworld.) just seems weird that they aren’t all LAME320 48000hz across the board.

What’s with the 160kbps vs 320 mp3 on this one? (Pinetum) and the general inconsistency in the encoding formats across the 3 “albums/eps”? (Don’t get me wrong. I’m psyched for free and quality Underworld.) just seems weird that they aren’t all LAME320 48000hz across the board.

Yeah it’s odd. And every track from ep 3 has been a free dL except the first one. I can only guess it’s because they want you to pay later if you love em? (I’m sure I will)

^ I figure that's the case, which I'm all for. Would love to see this as maybe a CD boxed set with some artwork, back-story for some of the tracks etc (lots of the music and videos feature other artists, different locations etc). 

I'd shell out for it. :shrug:

Absolutely would definitely by a physical version too. I've only kept Episode 2 on my machine as both Ep.1 and 3 so far seem to be either video only, or have wildy different encoding levels. Looks like they eventually end up on Amazon digital which seem the slight lesser of all other evils (iTunes & Spotify) as you don't have to get some proprietary player

I love the new series, and it reminds me of when they did the Riverrun series as well. Possibly my favourite late Underworld era. They are no doubt best when they just let if flow and not overthink it.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a great run by underworld but I think they just hit the climax. 

The Pearl’s Girl jam they just released is fucking phenomenal. 

Just like The Mekon my bubbling brain is seemingly about to explode and pop out of my head!

Also just like The Mekon I feel as though I'm floating around on a little flying saucer and the controls are set for the Heart of the Sun!

Edited by beer badger

21 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Yes this is pretty damn special. 

They are reminding the world that they are still the masters.

also, Drift is nearing AFX SoundCloud dump levels of awesomeness.

Edited by Extralife

Wow

Goosebumps. This is bringing me back in a major way.

21 hours ago, chenGOD said:

sososososososososo good

6 hours ago, Extralife said:

Yes this is pretty damn special. 

They are reminding the world that they are still the masters.

also, Drift is nearing AFX SoundCloud dump levels of awesomeness.

Yeah, no.

It's been great - but think of how much music Aphex put up, for free.