IGNORED

Automated Ambient Patterns

zkom

I started to write these tracks originally for the WATMM's Most IDM 2018 compilation ("Hiding the fact that you automated your own job"). I had fun creating them so I ended up making several and now that it seems that the compilation is never going to happen I'm going to be putting the tracks to SoundCloud..

Basically these are short ambient loops with shit tons of automation and randomization. They could go on playing forever. What I'll try to do is to render them to some comfortable length. 

A word of warning: The tracks have absolutely no structure or progression. All progress that they might seem to make is completely due to chance and they will return to form sooner or later. So if you are waiting for something more interesting to happen in the track it will not and might just as well skip the rest of it.

Also I made these on my mini-laptop while traveling and they are mixed with in-ear phones. So might sound horrible with proper speakers. I have no idea.

The software used was Renoise 3.1.1.

The first track maybe has a kind of Orb mood from around the Orbus Terrarum/FFWD era, but it's of course even more meandering..

really nice

didn't you have the idea of making a 24/7 stream of generative ambient?

Thanks!

Yeah, I think it could be possible with Renoise because I could run it on my linux VPS and share the stream through some service. Maybe need to figure out how to switch between the patterns though. I'll take a look into it when I have a decent internet connection.

Good stuff Mokz, these could work really well for some passive listening tracks. 

Dope @ Renoise, haven't used a tracker setup like that in a long time. I think SunVox for my phone was the last thing. Tbh, didn't even know you could use randomization in the sequencing in Renoise. If you do get that stream going, I will definitely check it out.

Good stuff Mokz, these could work really well for some passive listening tracks. 

Dope @ Renoise, haven't used a tracker setup like that in a long time. I think SunVox for my phone was the last thing. Tbh, didn't even know you could use randomization in the sequencing in Renoise. If you do get that stream going, I will definitely check it out.

Thanks, man!  :beer:

I was actually thinking something like that. Like music to play while your working on something. I had this idea of "music for programmers" thing.. A kind of mixture between the "space ship bridge noise for 10 hours" youtube videos and randomized electro and deep techno beats. I started to work on that over a year ago but it didn't go anywhere then. Maybe need to look into it again.

Also this type of thing could be used for maybe background music for games? For menus and different places in the game world. Too bad that Renoise doesn't have a stand-alone player library that could incorporated into games.

TBH, I'm only scratching the surface with the probabilistic events and randomized LFOs. If I started to apply scripting features in Renoise I could take the generative properties to the next level. Something to look into in the future also..

Third piece. More chaotic. Maybe could be background sounds/music for an underground maze in a video game?

https://soundcloud.com/omzk/vuo-automated-ambient-pattern-3-rendered-2018-11-05-5min06s

Would definitely work for that game scenario. I think I was visualizing a space traveling game, with this being the soundtrack for a planet with a sentient plant-life based species.

Very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had some time (and a decent internet connection) to upload the fifth one.

This one is pretty dark industrial dub techno ambient thing.. lots of bitcrushing..

https://soundcloud.com/omzk/vuo-automated-ambient-pattern-5-rendered-2018-11-28-6min18s

Cool idea (sounds are nice, too).

I've been thinking about doing something similar, for running music where I want some steady 180BPM beat and some random noise loops to make it not boring.

Id be interested to learn how you implemented this :-)

Ok

Response to the previous deleted comment, lol

lol now I wanna know what they said.

I keep meaning to check this stuff out as it sounds intriguing but I always end up in this thread when I'm at work and can't listen.

***Reminder post to do so tonight***

Cool idea (sounds are nice, too).

I've been thinking about doing something similar, for running music where I want some steady 180BPM beat and some random noise loops to make it not boring.

Id be interested to learn how you implemented this :-)

Thanks!

It's actually a bit embarrassing how simple the instruments are.. There are no VSTs. It's all samples and Renoise built-in effects and the smallest track with all the samples is only 109KB.. Almost like an old school chiptune. Mostly just basic waveforms with instrument envelopes. Some samples from the Renoise standard library heavily effected or edited and a few stolen from some tracks.. there's maybe one easily recognizable.

Anyway, generally the tracks are just using lots of the Renoise "maYbe" (Yxx) commands to trigger notes or phrases randomly and tons of LFOs controlling parameters and instrument macros. Also some side-chaining. Nothing really particularly advanced.

Ok

Response to the previous deleted comment, lol

lol now I wanna know what they said.

It was just a Trump tweet posted into a wrong thread. 

Thanks, m9!

I might put them in a collection in bandcamp, but I would very much like to hear how they sound on speakers first, lol. Still on the road..

I have one more left. I think I have the time and connectivity to upload it in a few days once I get to Tbilisi.

I just played these from 6 to 1 while studying. Just what I needed, they all worked on the right level as to be soothing for studying, with the exception of Pattern 1, which still good but a little more active imo.

Looking forward to hearing the next one.

I just played these from 6 to 1 while studying. Just what I needed, they all worked on the right level as to be soothing for studying, with the exception of Pattern 1, which still good but a little more active imo.

Looking forward to hearing the next one.

Cheers  :beer:

Yeah, they don't work so well on active listening but better as a background music.