IGNORED

Automated Ambient Patterns

zkom

(The new version of the forum seems to have broken the embedding of the old links, oh well)

So now that I've been stuck at home with a proper laptop that can run software decently (and I don't have to worry about the computer overheating instantly in the tropical heat) I have been reworking the tracks a bit. Some have slight improvements here and there like better reverb plugins and mastering VSTs and some have more significant changes.

Some have gone even more chaotic like the first one here:

I'm working on a Bandcamp release also, but it's still gonna take some time. Here's a Soundcloud playlist which is update as I go

• Like 1

Track 6, version 2. A bit less abrassive. More reverb. Some new, dare I say, Biosphere inspired instrumentation..

I really like this generative stuff. How much did you prepare it? For example, did you pick a scale for all the notes and did you also set up the sounds beforehand so it sounds more or less "together" (i.e. no instruments that sound weird in the mix)?

I did some generative experiments beginning of this year with Pure Data which was really fun as a creative tool, so I am curious to hear more about your process as well.

16 hours ago, thawkins said:

I really like this generative stuff. How much did you prepare it? For example, did you pick a scale for all the notes and did you also set up the sounds beforehand so it sounds more or less "together" (i.e. no instruments that sound weird in the mix)?

I did some generative experiments beginning of this year with Pure Data which was really fun as a creative tool, so I am curious to hear more about your process as well.

Yep, it's all kind of pre-meditated with a loads of automation and randomization thrown in. Instruments and notes are pre-selected then just randomly triggered. Sometimes patterns are randomly triggered and the patterns contain randomly triggered notes even further. Samples are selected from a list of samples on random in some cases. Instrument and FX automation with LFOs or random values. Some side-chaining. Sounds are mixed to different channels on random or with LFOs controlling the gain. And so on.

They're basically mostly loops of few bars that have so much automation and randomized events that they start to sound like some kind of composition, lol. Except for pattern 6 that is just a single one step chord that gets played over and over.

Now that I've thrown in some Reaktor stuff I've started to think about creating an "ambient machine" on it that would have various controls like selecting the chord or scale, set of samples, speed of progress, amount of randomization, etc. Then you could control it live to make generative ambient but with more structure. But maybe Pure Data or Max/MSP would be a better tool for this purpose.

• Like 1

That's cool, I did something similar.

Basically I tried to separate the different elements: scales/notes, the rhythm, and the sequence that plays. The idea was that you could switch out the set of notes and the rhythm and the melodic sequence (i.e. the 16 step note progression) would remain the same. I never really managed to do it fully, but what I have worked really well as a creative tool, and with some note velocity modulation and triggers I could run it forever.

This was all in Pure Data and I can even share the patches (if you want to spend a lot of time trying to understand what the hell is happening). I kind of stopped working on it because I wanted to do it so it was better integrated with Live, but that did not work out very well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 4:05 AM, zkom said:

I was actually thinking something like that. Like music to play while your working on something. I had this idea of "music for programmers" thing.. A kind of mixture between the "space ship bridge noise for 10 hours" youtube videos and randomized electro and deep techno beats.

Yes! This is the first thing I thought of too, its a lovely background piece similar to those star trek bridge noise loops. Idk why but I imagine this playing in like, an avant garde point and click type game, or even one of the hylics games. That second track is so nice to just leave on in the background.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zkom said:

~20 minute cuts of the new and old versions are now available for download for free at Bandcamp https://vuovuovuo.bandcamp.com/album/automated-ambient-patterns

I am almost done with the 1st track and the music is good but it brings back memories of being stuck at some point in a computer game and having the music repeat ENDLESSLY while I fail to find the correct piece for the puzzle.

Nowadays I just cheat and find a walkthrough online.

Anyway thanks for sharing these. ?

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

I am almost done with the 1st track and the music is good but it brings back memories of being stuck at some point in a computer game and having the music repeat ENDLESSLY while I fail to find the correct piece for the puzzle.

Nowadays I just cheat and find a walkthrough online.

Haha, yes. Well, with this it's easy to cheat. Just skip the tracks whenever you like. :sorcerer:

Thanks for the comments:beer:

• Like 1