IGNORED

Autechre and Phish (?)

Nenlow66

Done? Absurd. There are dozens of solid examples from the fall tour alone.

https://youtu.be/K7KQ5WlxDaU

lol

that is boring as hell. sounds sloppy.

Lololol! Because shimripl air, g1e1 and all end have way more going on haha

yea cos those 3 tracks are so representative of their whole output...
I love AE...but you agree those tracks are “boring as hell”? Might add splesh and flh, but for the sake of simplicity, i’ll stick with the initial three examples.

(And as if one phish song can represent their entire output).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point being, the one recent live song I posted (despite the shitty audience recording quality) demonstrates (a) phish did not become a parody of themselves 18 years ago (still extremely good) and (b) is more interesting then several recent AE tracks. Fact.

(b) is more interesting then several recent AE tracks. Fact.

if there are two large groups of people then there will probably exist a person in the first group that is better at something than a few people from the other group. woah dude statistics

p.s.1 - i am not necessarily implying that the track you posted is more interesting than the ae tracks you listed

p.s.2 - this thread is amazing

I listen to Autechre the way I listen to jam band and jazz music. In fact, I barely listen to electronic music (generally too repetitive and boring, even Aphex Twin).

Anyone else approach AE from the jam band camp, or do most AE fans approach their music from within the electronic music genre?

Is Phish you fav band?

Man jam band and esp phish cult(ure) is the worst, if anything they're more comparable to Aphex in that the large swaths of the fanboisie will only listen artist to the exclusion of most everything else; understanding of course there have to be the go-tos when you're in the mood for something different, you know, like a vsnares or rusted doot.

Are jam bands purely a 'Murican thing? IRL I never hear anyone talk about or play Phish, not even the (goddamn) hippies.

Is Ozric Tentacles a jam band?

I'm so out of touch with this.

So anyway fuck Phish.

Has anybody on WATMM heard of The Necks? They're an Australian jazz trio who are basically a jam band. They write their music by improvising, both live and on their albums (with a little bit of post production treatment), the way it works is they sit in silence until one of them begins then the other two eventually join in and they keep building on the piece. I saw them live in London last month and it was one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen. I don't know what the comparison is between them and Autechre but if this thread is going to be about something it should at least contain good content.

Put an hour aside to enjoy this:

Then go and check out most any of their work. Thank me later!

I knew a guy who listened to only Phish and Mr. Bungle.  And I knew another guy who was surprised Phish never really blew up.  Those are my 2 Phish related anecdotes.  I hope you enjoyed reading them.

My only memories of Phish are the B&J ice cream and alt.drugs.psychedelics newsgroup where they were occasionally mentioned. I don't think I've ever heard a single Phish song. Thank you for reading and I hope this was informative.

I knew a guy who listened to only Phish and Mr. Bungle. And I knew another guy who was surprised Phish never really blew up. Those are my 2 Phish related anecdotes. I hope you enjoyed reading them.

My only memories of Phish are the B&J ice cream and alt.drugs.psychedelics newsgroup where they were occasionally mentioned. I don't think I've ever heard a single Phish song. Thank you for reading and I hope this was informative.

thank the both of you, these insightful narratives have helped gaining a deeper understanding on the subject by a very large amount.

thank

So anyway fuck Phish.

Has anybody on WATMM heard of The Necks? They're an Australian jazz trio who are basically a jam band. They write their music by improvising, both live and on their albums (with a little bit of post production treatment), the way it works is they sit in silence until one of them begins then the other two eventually join in and they keep building on the piece. I saw them live in London last month and it was one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen. I don't know what the comparison is between them and Autechre but if this thread is going to be about something it should at least contain good content.

Yaaasssss, had the pleasure of seeing them live at Southbank way back in 2002/3

Let me add to that rekkie

was gonna put Aether and Quay here too but they're not up on the t00bs, so here's a live vid to appreciate the jambandiness

So anyway fuck Phish.

Yaaasssss, had the pleasure of seeing them live at Southbank way back in 2002/3

was gonna put Aether and Quay here too but they're not up on the t00bs, so here's a live vid to appreciate the jambandiness

Thank you for letting me discover this: one of the reasons that keeps me tied to this forum is the fact that, collaterally,  I reach things that I could never have met.

Archived