IGNORED

Autechre and Phish (?)

Nenlow66

IDK Phish nor Jazz. I am not putting too much glorifying theory into Ae. They came from about Hiphop, added some important experiments in tempo, complexity and buildup/decay, with maybe tt1pd being their most glorious achievement.

Music theory does do no harm to "uneducated" music producers. It supports their effectiveness to know what is wrong and what is right. OTOH, maybe it's a burden for creativity at the same time.

Jamming is an interesting thing, some people are gifted. E.g. in the past, people played live and improvised piano in movie theaters. Shostakovich did e.g.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So anyway fuck Phish.

Has anybody on WATMM heard of The Necks? They're an Australian jazz trio who are basically a jam band. They write their music by improvising, both live and on their albums (with a little bit of post production treatment), the way it works is they sit in silence until one of them begins then the other two eventually join in and they keep building on the piece. I saw them live in London last month and it was one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen. I don't know what the comparison is between them and Autechre but if this thread is going to be about something it should at least contain good content.

Put an hour aside to enjoy this:

Then go and check out most any of their work. Thank me later!

actually some drum patterns on Hanging Gardens resemble a lot Untilted-era ae drum patterns...

really interesting stuff man thanks

Actually, last time I saw the 'chre, there was this wacky flailing techo Jesus guy who looked like he could have easily been a huge Phish fan, too. So you may be on to some hard science, here. 

I grew up in a small hippie town in Upstate NY and was a Phish/jam band fan growing up, because pretty much everyone else was and it was super fun when they came to town. Unlike my friends, I was also super into electronic music and got into Autechre by early college.

I wouldn't say there's much of an overlap aside from liking more complex music outside of the mainstream, an increased propensity for drug use, and being made fun of for your taste in music. Yet there is a Venn diagram of Autechre/Phish fans, I am such a man.

I grew out of my jam band phase over the years but I will never apologize for enjoying it. Much like electronic music it's a much maligned genre of fans who are mostly really chill and looking to dork out about what they love. Like anything, the worst version of the fans get the most attention. Along with prog rock, I like the willingness to experiment with song structure and super long tracks in both genres. NTS-era Autechre is essentially an abstract electronic version of a sick jam sesh.

I don't expect people to like everything but I'm a little surprised there isn't more of an overlap here. Then again I've been a Phish apologist my whole life so what do I know.

^ upvoted. I'd even say that at times, their newer work channels the "spirit" of early hip hop, hardcore rave, etc. more than ever, e.g. gonk steady one

edit: wait... never mind, this definitely sounds more like autechre

Also, just figured out I'd point out this is not Phish. Classic Napster mislabel from way back. This is the "Kickass Violin Solo" of the jam band community.

well autechre keep getting better and better. phish took an absolute nose dive 18 years ago and are a parody of themselves. so no, they are not alike at all. i think autrchre are much more like free jazz. but mostly, and my favorite thing about them, they are like autrchre

This is unfortunately also true. Anything after 90s Phish is pretty garbage but they had their time and place.

I grew up in a small hippie town in Upstate NY and was a Phish/jam band fan growing up, because pretty much everyone else was and it was super fun when they came to town. Unlike my friends, I was also super into electronic music and got into Autechre by early college.

I wouldn't say there's much of an overlap aside from liking more complex music outside of the mainstream, an increased propensity for drug use, and being made fun of for your taste in music. Yet there is a Venn diagram of Autechre/Phish fans, I am such a man.

I grew out of my jam band phase over the years but I will never apologize for enjoying it. Much like electronic music it's a much maligned genre of fans who are mostly really chill and looking to dork out about what they love. Like anything, the worst version of the fans get the most attention. Along with prog rock, I like the willingness to experiment with song structure and super long tracks in both genres. NTS-era Autechre is essentially an abstract electronic version of a sick jam sesh.

I don't expect people to like everything but I'm a little surprised there isn't more of an overlap here. Then again I've been a Phish apologist my whole life so what do I know.

+1

+1

Potsdam?

+1

Potsdam?

Not that far upstate, I grew up outside of Albany.

Archived