IGNORED

Who prefers old Aphex material here?

TheBro

I have a certain soft spot for anything '95 and older, but I know that's just my old man nostalgia acting up.

Yeah, lols aside SAW85-92 is probably my most revisited album by him. But I listen to a lot of his stuff all the time and when something new drops I’ll spin it countless times.

I love 85-92, but the mastering quality always makes me turn it off about 3/4 of the way through Xtal...

Opinions like this is why Richard no longer speaks to you mate

Well, if he's that delicate about the hard truth of the poor quality of 85-92's master, then I don't know what to say. The music is great - just wished it was in better quality. Perhaps soon with AI they'll be able to fix poor masters like this and preserve music that suffered due to poor mastering, source material, etc.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if he's that delicate about the hard truth of the poor quality of 85-92's master, then I don't know what to say. The music is great - just wished it was in better quality. Perhaps soon with AI they'll be able to fix poor masters like this and preserve music that suffered due to poor mastering, source material, etc.

For me it's the use of poor sounds (synths, drum machine, etc.) that makes me turn it off. The music is great--just wish it was played on a cello.

For me it's the use of poor sounds (synths, drum machine, etc.) that makes me turn it off. The music is great--just wish it was played on a cello.

someone tried to do a full SAW85-92 cover with orchestral midi instruments. it's about as good as you'd imagine - totally clean and crisp, every sound done with the weight of an anvil, and ptolemy/hedphylym are completely absent.

those of you complaining about the analog mastering of SAW85-92, who hate tomato sauce on their pizza etc., would you prefer if richard set up and recorded the entire album again? because that's what happened with Quoth and If It Really Is Me from SOSW. he spilt orange juice on the master cassette tapes and they couldn't be recovered, so they were both re-recorded. i don't see anyone raving about the sound design or mastering quality of IIRIM, any more than the album as a whole is praised for its legendary tunes.

Audax Powder ftw

If It Really Is Me is a fucking great song. And Quoth. All of SOSW really.

Anyway I don't know that story, did he re-record it like a week after the first time? Or a year, with different equipment? Or what?

If It Really Is Me is a fucking great song. And Quoth. All of SOSW really.

Anyway I don't know that story, did he re-record it like a week after the first time? Or a year, with different equipment? Or what?

I've not heard this either.  I'd only heard that Quoth had the OJ spilled on the masters, and so it won't be released again.  BTW Quoth is easily one of the most solid EPs he's ever released.  Bike Pump Meets Bucket is top 10 of all time for me.

I have a certain soft spot for anything '95 and older, but I know that's just my old man nostalgia acting up.

Yeah, lols aside SAW85-92 is probably my most revisited album by him. But I listen to a lot of his stuff all the time and when something new drops I’ll spin it countless times.

I love 85-92, but the mastering quality always makes me turn it off about 3/4 of the way through Xtal...

Nothing wrong with the mastering on SAW - what you're criticizing is the production. Mastering can only take "poorly recorded" material so far. For one thing it was likely recorded to cassette tape. There's a possibility that it could be remastered and "improved" to a certain degree, but not likely too much.

I put those words in quotes because personally I love the muffled, lofi quality of the material. I wouldn't want the sound/production on Xtal to be "improved" one iota - to my ears it's completely perfect as it is.

Yeah, the interesting thing about SAW I is that the "poor" recording quality actually gives it MORE depth, to me at least. This is an interesting post that sort of gets at how a lo fi approach can be desirable for how it creates sonic complexity / richness through distortion, etc. So it's not just that the quality of the recording makes the music more "authentic" or "underground" (lol)--it actually makes the tracks feel way more immersive.

Me.  I'm largely indifferent to the vast majority of his material after I Care Because You Do....which is my favorite work of his and one of my all time favorite albums in any genre. Love everything he did leading up to that point as well.  I remember buying the Richard D. James album the day it came out and being pretty disappointed by it.  Because I was such a big fan up to that point, I tried for months to like it and there are a couple things that grew on me a little but It was just so thin, digital and brittle sounding compared to earlier works.  It was also very surface oriented and lacking the depth, hypnotic quality and seriousness of his earlier work.  I couldn't fathom why he would abandon the absolutely unique style of tunes he was making and replace it with Squarepusher-esque wankery that was all kind of tongue in cheek silliness.  Especially because at the time I was immersed in the world of drum & bass as well and I always saw the whole "drill & bass" style as being nowhere close to as progressive, cutting edge and massive sounding as actual drum & bass was at that time. 

Me.  I'm largely indifferent to the vast majority of his material after I Care Because You Do....which is my favorite work of his and one of my all time favorite albums in any genre. Love everything he did leading up to that point as well.  I remember buying the Richard D. James album the day it came out and being pretty disappointed by it.  Because I was such a big fan up to that point, I tried for months to like it and there are a couple things that grew on me a little but It was just so thin, digital and brittle sounding compared to earlier works.  It was also very surface oriented and lacking the depth, hypnotic quality and seriousness of his earlier work.  I couldn't fathom why he would abandon the absolutely unique style of tunes he was making and replace it with Squarepusher-esque wankery that was all kind of tongue in cheek silliness.  Especially because at the time I was immersed in the world of drum & bass as well and I always saw the whole "drill & bass" style as being nowhere close to as progressive, cutting edge and massive sounding as actual drum & bass was at that time. 

giphy.gif

L4WwfgaLdS-12.png

Archived