IGNORED

Korg Monologue - anyone got one?

TheBro

Yeah I got one. I've more or less shelved it and will probably sell it off. The thing is a lot more limited than it looks unless you really dive into the onboard sequencer to make arpeggios. You are better off saving up an extra 100 and getting a korg ms-20. It felt like a Volca Keys with a keyboard when I was using it. Even the keyboard had problems when I took it apart to clean and saw that the key's springs were plastic tabs. They *will* break sooner than later.

Yeah I got one. I've more or less shelved it and will probably sell it off. The thing is a lot more limited than it looks unless you really dive into the onboard sequencer to make arpeggios. You are better off saving up an extra 100 and getting a korg ms-20. It felt like a Volca Keys with a keyboard when I was using it. Even the keyboard had problems when I took it apart to clean and saw that the key's springs were plastic tabs. They *will* break sooner than later.

Oh dear that's pretty damning lol. I guess Korg isn't invincible.

I thought it was really confining for what it was. I think for your music though you might get a lot of use out of it. It does have one of the fastest LFO's I've ever heard on a hardware device. I think my favourite thing to do with it was to link the ultra fast lfo to the duty cycle/pulsewidth modulation. It made a really beautiful hollow sound that was distinct from the rest of the waveforms.

Yeah

Cool how you find it?

Still getting into it, only had it a couple months, but it sounds damned good. The basics aren't 'best in class' necessarily, but they are very much solid: basses and leads, quickly and easily crafted, with just a touch of effects it's very strong in these areas.... but the edges of what it can do are where the magic is imo. If you don't want to really push it and are just looking for the basic things, there may be better synths for you. If you really like the sounds you've heard and really like to push your synths then it's surely worth trying out especially for that price.

I already have a Novation Bass Station II so I can't really justify owning it. However, I'm very interested in the Aphex microtonal tunings.

I'm forever tempted to get one. I kinda miss having a small, hands-on monosynth ever since I sold my Microbrute last year (or the year before? can't remember). Monologue looks better than the Microbrute, simply because it can store patches and runs on batteries. One of these days..

I already have a Novation Bass Station II so I can't really justify owning it. However, I'm very interested in the Aphex microtonal tunings.

Definitely one of the ones I was thinking of that may be 'better' than the monlogue for some users. But in general, there's a few monosynths available in that sub-$400 price range (esp including used items) that are pretty great. Korg monologue is definitely very nice.

Definitely one of the ones I was thinking of that may be 'better' than the monlogue for some users. But in general, there's a few monosynths available in that sub-$400 price range (esp including used items) that are pretty great. Korg monologue is definitely very nice.

I agree and I'll probably hang onto mine and my Microbrute for a while, but if I was going to buy one today I would probably spend just a little more and get either a Circuit Mono or a Minibrute 2S. Both of them have way more interesting sequencing capabilities. 

• 7 months later...

This was the most recent monologue thread, figured this news could go here

Monologue and Sound Librarian Updates

https://www.korg.com/us/news/2019/0628/

Monologue System Updater Version 2.00

update description
 - support for active step feature
 - new microtuning presets DC001-DC003 (as on minilogue xd)
 - display original value
 - the new slider range parameter
 - added option to turn off oscilloscope display
 - increased granularity of MIDI filter setting
 - support for MIDI set position messages
 - fixed occasional inversion of swing pattern when changing programs
 - fixed other minor bugs

monologue Sound Librarian Version 1.1.0

update description
- new microtuning presets DC001-DC003 (as on minilogue xd)
- support for Japanese
- small aesthetic improvements
- various other small bug fixes

Also the other -logue synths have updates too 

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the one and only, fantastical dusty Herm The Monologue!  Mark Frost named it on his Reddit AMA, so happy with it. 

Thanks for the info about the update @andrd, not sure what they mean by "the new slider range parameter"   but I'll check it out. MIDI set position messages might be interesting with Renoise:smile:

Unknown-5.jpg

4 hours ago, psn said:

Tried to upgrade mine, spent an hour and a half in USB driver hell, no luck in the end.

video above probably covers the basics. one thing i've had with monologue, more so than other synths, is i can't use the editor while DAW /ableton is also open. i have to close everything and open the editor from scratch. 

Archived