IGNORED

AE LIVE ‘08 - post replica submissions here

Dale

excuse my ïgnôràncé but, in the process of merging all the machines together, does the nord stuff include midi notes/sequences besides the patches themselves, or does it have to be done by hand & ear(!)??

The Nord "stuff" consists of:

• sound patches (uploadable to Nord); these patches may include sequences of midi notes internally
  • midi sequences, which are stored in the MPC1K
  • manual tweaking

Just sending those sequences (from MPC1K >> Nord) would probably be insufficient because Ae tweak things live.

Digit has been working on reconstructing that "stuff" above, especially the "manual tweaking" part.

In the process of merging all the machines, we're working on the same Reaper project so everything is locked time-wise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 7/18/2019 at 11:25 PM, IOS said:

The Nord "stuff" consists of:

• sound patches (uploadable to Nord); these patches may include sequences of midi notes internally
  • midi sequences, which are stored in the MPC1K
  • manual tweaking

Just sending those sequences (from MPC1K >> Nord) would probably be insufficient because Ae tweak things live.

Digit has been working on reconstructing that "stuff" above, especially the "manual tweaking" part.

In the process of merging all the machines, we're working on the same Reaper project so everything is locked time-wise.

thank you.

at first i thought no midi sequences were present, just the patches and related arpeggios, etc.

what you and Digit are doing is truly amazing. a lot of work involved(!). hope you guys are having a great time (i guess you are).

[by "stuff" i mean no disrespect btw; just trying to sound cool because i'm not :^)]

• Like 1

No disrespect perceived whatsoever man?I placed the word in quotation marks to make it more specific.

I forgot to mention that indeed, as you say, we're recreating this by ear, by listening to the original and entering the various parameters into Reaper. This includes drawing the tempo increase; figuring out the pattern changes for MD, MM and MPC (and entering them into Reaper as MIDI Program Change events); imported to Reaper the MPC MIDI sequences (meant for the Nord); now digit draws the Nord live tweaks into Reaper.

I'm really typing this so that we all think, if recreating it sounds like a lot of work, imagine how much work B&B put into composing it!!

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, IOS said:

No disrespect perceived whatsoever man?I placed the word in quotation marks to make it more specific.

I forgot to mention that indeed, as you say, we're recreating this by ear, by listening to the original and entering the various parameters into Reaper. This includes drawing the tempo increase; figuring out the pattern changes for MD, MM and MPC (and entering them into Reaper as MIDI Program Change events); imported to Reaper the MPC MIDI sequences (meant for the Nord); now digit draws the Nord live tweaks into Reaper.

I'm really typing this so that we all think, if recreating it sounds like a lot of work, imagine how much work B&B put into composing it!!

absolutely!! putting together the puzzle piece by piece while listening to the live recording. brutal.

in the spectacular IO live show version, besides the MM&MD things, there are some syncopated kicks, stretched snares, and some more weird shit also, and makes me wonder how the f*ck that's going to come up in the Digit&IOS rendition.
take all the time you need m8s and have fun

about The Bros composing this... makes me love them even more :wub:

@digit

On 7/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, digit said:

trying to track down a midi bug in Reaper that was scrambling the g2's patch cc values every time i stopped / started the transport.

That's almost definitely recorded (intentionally or otherwise) CC values, found in MIDI regions earlier in the Reaper project. Check by using Reaper's MIDI editor's in Event List mode, for CC/NRPN values that you didn't intend to have in your region.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 2:12 AM, IOS said:

@digit

That's almost definitely recorded (intentionally or otherwise) CC values, found in MIDI regions earlier in the Reaper project. Check by using Reaper's MIDI editor's in Event List mode, for CC/NRPN values that you didn't intend to have in your region.

Reaper tries to play forward the last registered value for each CC when you restart playback at a later point, and in this session it was glitching params that were meant to be left as default. It's deliberate behavior but wasn't working well with the provided MIDI sequences.

I hacked up a JS effect to drop the first few MIDI messages on playback start which hopefully let the group move past that blocker.

@dub3000 Yep, I'm aware of that behaviour as well as its cause. But have we/you concluded that it's deliberate?

Curious to find out as I've noticed you filed a bug report at reaper.fm about this exact same issue.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:10 PM, IOS said:

@dub3000 Yep, I'm aware of that behaviour as well as its cause. But have we/you concluded that it's deliberate?

Curious to find out as I've noticed you filed a bug report at reaper.fm about this exact same issue.

almost certain that it's deliberate, although there should be a toggle to disable it.

the specific bug i reported is a bit subtle - there's a MIDI command to reset all CC values to default, and this should (in theory) cancel out any CCs that are being traced, but that's not what happens. i'll nudge the bug again at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

any kind soul wanna re-up the versions of this that IOS has already done? just hunted back through the thread and as i expected, all the links are dead. i had one at least but can't find it. 

also, any remixing happening? figured there'd be a ton of that

16 hours ago, auxien said:

any kind soul wanna re-up the versions of this that IOS has already done? just hunted back through the thread and as i expected, all the links are dead. i had one at least but can't find it. 

also, any remixing happening? figured there'd be a ton of that

I can in a few hours when I'm within reach of my laptop if no one else has by then. 

17 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

I wonder what Rob and Sean will think of the replica. They'll probably love it

wasn't spi talking about one of them hearing it earlier ITT?

6 hours ago, Hk47 said:

Crap, I'm sorry, I've only got the one with everything that's been shared so far combined.... not the individual tracks before they were merged.... 

But.... 

=/

Here is it...

https://mega.nz/#!oBkGWAYY!PBuI0uBMK0pvWIRi-wnggL0tQCitTL51h259mCy2KsU

Again, sorry about that. 

apologies unnecessary of course, thanks for posting what you've got! this was the best one yet of course so it's appreciated :) digging in on it again now

• Like 1

Right on

Well, if anyone else wants it, grab it. I'll keep it up on my mega account for a few months (unless the final result is completed before then).