IGNORED

AE LIVE ‘08 - post replica submissions here

Dale

Is the reconstruction you are doing carrying out the work started by IOS or is it a completely new job?

I am continuing the work that IOS started. I am working within the Reaper project that he gave me.

Dude, really gotta take my hat off to you. The Quaristice set is one of my favourite pieces of music ever so to be able to hear it in proper quality means the world.

Really impressive to see someone recreate it so well, how long have you been producing?

Dude, really gotta take my hat off to you. The Quaristice set is one of my favourite pieces of music ever so to be able to hear it in proper quality means the world.

Really impressive to see someone recreate it so well, how long have you been producing?

this would be a question for IOS, as most of the work on this is his. i am just recreating the nord g2 parts.

the nord stuff is about 70% done.

it's tedious work, actually. first listen to the recording, then mute it & listen to what the nord is doing, figure out which of the 8 variations is active for each of the 4 slots in the nord, figure out when the transitions happen from variation to variation, draw the midi cc automation in Reaper for the volume & variation changes in the patches. the trouble comes when i can't get the nord to quite match whats going on in the recording, which means something else is being tweaked on the nord. filter? resonance? adsr envelopes? or does the midi data from the mpc need to be muted temporarily? lots of trial and error and a/b comparison. listening to the same parts over & over, trying to get it to match up as well as i can.

at the same time it can be fun to play detective & figure out how certain sounds are being made. i'm looking forward to really digging into these patches after i'm done with the reconstruction & seeing how they work.

in the meantime, here's a minimal dub quaristice versions style remix i made before i started working on the reconstruction. this is just the mpc. i was going thru the sequences figuring out how they were organized. things started sounding cool so i hit record:

AELIVE2008_MPC_RMIX.01

great progress report. this is awesome

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being impatient but is there any news on when the final live set including the G2 may be completed? Appreciate it must be a tricky job but any news on how its going would be appreciated.

sounds like it’ll be done when it’s done.

the nord stuff is about 70% done.

it's tedious work, actually. first listen to the recording, then mute it & listen to what the nord is doing, figure out which of the 8 variations is active for each of the 4 slots in the nord, figure out when the transitions happen from variation to variation, draw the midi cc automation in Reaper for the volume & variation changes in the patches. the trouble comes when i can't get the nord to quite match whats going on in the recording, which means something else is being tweaked on the nord. filter? resonance? adsr envelopes? or does the midi data from the mpc need to be muted temporarily? lots of trial and error and a/b comparison. listening to the same parts over & over, trying to get it to match up as well as i can.

at the same time it can be fun to play detective & figure out how certain sounds are being made. i'm looking forward to really digging into these patches after i'm done with the reconstruction & seeing how they work.

in the meantime, here's a minimal dub quaristice versions style remix i made before i started working on the reconstruction. this is just the mpc. i was going thru the sequences figuring out how they were organized. things started sounding cool so i hit record: AELIVE2008_MPC_RMIX.01