IGNORED

Planet Mu Listening Club

KovalainenFanBoy

I've wanted to go through planet mu's catalogue for a while so I've come up with this: twice a week, say mondays and fridays, I'll be posting an album from planet mu, and anyone who so wants to listens to it, and shares thoughts. I think twice a week is a reasonable rate - one for the work days and one for the weekend. I'll be doing it chronologically using this handy dandy list of releases: https://planet.mu/releases/

tomorrow i'll be starting with tango'n'vectif, and from there we'll go through the breakcore, dubstep, footwork eras, with all sorts of weird stuff inbetween. Personally i'll be using spotify since i paid for premium like a fuckin moron, but I'll be posting spotify / bleepstore / whatever links for your convenience. Ain't that nice

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't heard a mu release in ages since Machinedrum rooms. Any current (more breakbeat focused) tips would be nice, don't have time to go through the whole catalogue. 

Tango N Vectif 2xCD version (~2001 Rephlex reissue)? What a stunning record, timeless electronic music.

So many fantastic records released on planet µ over the years, crucial for my personal musical tastes. I haven't compulsively, repeatedly listened to anything in their catalogue for a little while though, but still. Really enjoyed the recent Sinjin Hawke and Zorah Jones EP, quite underwhelmed by Ital Tek's latest.

Personal favorites, aside from Mike P's output, might be Kuedo's Severant, Leafcutter John's The Housebound Spirit, Ital Tek's Hollow, Hrvastki's Swarm & Dither, The Host, Eero Johannes. And Jega.

Haven't heard a mu release in ages since Machinedrum rooms. Any current (more breakbeat focused) tips would be nice, don't have time to go through the whole catalogue. 

All of the Herva, Jlin, Ital Tek, Kuedo albums are all solid. New and previously released u-Ziq is all damn good too. I really enjoyed Claude Speeed and WWWINGS. Ekopletz is a bit more experimental but interesting dubby stuff.

All of the Herva, Jlin, Ital Tek, Kuedo albums are all solid. New and previously released u-Ziq is all damn good too. I really enjoyed Claude Speeed and WWWINGS. Ekopletz is a bit more experimental but interesting dubby stuff.

also the new richard devine is 1 of the best records i heard this year, good that it's released on P-mu

Buying all the random one-off artist albums on Mu back in the day was a big part of my early collecting years.

Couple of years ago an online friend wanted a lil primer of that stuff so I made him a µ.zip. Got him to send it back to me yesterday to remind me what was in there.

x53MAkE.png

^so there's some potentials. There's some missing I think though as there no way I woulda left out Ambulance.

hey this is a great idea. I'd say I've tackled about half of the mu-verse, and certainly 95% of the last 10 years. I'll try and keep pace - sounds fun! Someone else do this so I don't have to *just* yell at span cmon guys

CAT013

µ-Ziq

Tango N’Vectif

Released 22-11-1993

69228-1.jpg

Bleepstore: https://planetmu.bleepstores.com/release/69228-ziq-tango-nvectif
Bandcamp: https://mikeparadinas.bandcamp.com/album/tango-nvectif
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1gd89zVAfPT4PSZPdRdat7?si=PfxcXyQDQyScIR_vaID3CA

Tracklist:

DISC 1:
01 Tango N’Vectif
02 Swan Vesta
03 Burnt Sienna
04 Iesope
05 µ-Ziq Theme
06 Auqeam
07 Vibes
08 Ad Misericordiam
09 Beatnik #2
10 Die Zweite Heimat
11 The Sonic Fox
12 Caesium
13 Phi*1700[u/v]

DISC 2:
01 4 Time Egg
02 Phragmal Synthesis Pt.1
03 Phragmal Synthesis Pt.2
04 Phragmal Synthesis Pt.3
05 Xenith Filigree Anus
06 Whale Soup
07 Amenida 2
08 Paco
09 Crosstown Traffic
10 Xolbe 2
11 Driving Is Easy
12 Methyl Albion
13 Glink

Description:

Tango N’Vectif was originally released in the Autumn of 1993 on the Rephlex label.
Here’s the pitchfork review:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8321-tango-n-vectif
Includes all the old vinyl only tracks, all the old cd only tracks, plus the R&S E.P. and three unreleased tracks from 1992/3

Relevant mu20 section:

A6RHJq2.jpg
FmW23RP.jpg
RcZOVBX.jpg

lol wtf are you doing on this board?

Fuck you.

Just listened to the regular record, liked almost everything in there. I've heard some before but definitely not all and definitely all at once as an album. Title track, u-Ziq theme, Burnt Sienna, Iesope, and stood out, lots of good throughout. Definitely a bit dated at times, seems weird hearing for the first time like 20 years later. But overall I can see why it's gotten a lot of love, it was enjoyable. A few tracks sounded a touch Aphex-y in sounds, last few tracks I think Sonic Fox and another gave me those vibes...last track didn't do much for me, though I liked the start.

I didn't know u-Ziq's first was Paradinas + friend, that's news to me so thanks for adding that reading span

Fuck you.

off to a good start lol

anyway, tango n vectif... not much to say about this one... as far as early 'braindance' or however you wanna call this goes, which has never been my fav genre, this is fairly enjoyable. I do appreciate that he went mostly for harsh, distorted drum sounds, cause clean-ish sounding drums (ie Vibes) just bore me to tears. Would be unfair to call him out on track selection since this thing is a completionist 2 hours edition which some extras tacked on, but I could probably make a pretty killer album out of my favs from these. Some real earworms on this thing, like Caesium and 4 Part Egg. I remembered this album being way more boring than it ended up being

i was thinking, in a blind test with some afx, muziq, and some other artist from the same circle's music, would I be able to tell who did what? as in, what makes mike's tunes unique? I guess the arrangement choices and melody style would give it away... maybe

The sound of Iesope (and its later cousin Phiesope off In Pine Effect) always warms my heart.

At a rate of two releases per week, this thread should go on for about eight years before getting to the current point in the catalogue. One wonders where we'll be at by 2027...

At a rate of two releases per week, this thread should go on for about eight years before getting to the current point in the catalogue. One wonders where we'll be at by 2027...

really? i didnt bother doing the math... the plan is to do 2 "main" albums every week, plus whatever singles and EPs were released in that timespan

This series is perfect for me, as I've not delved too far into Planet Mu discography. I have a compilation CD in storage that I haven't listened to in years, might have to dig it out.

Buying all the random one-off artist albums on Mu back in the day was a big part of my early collecting years.

Couple of years ago an online friend wanted a lil primer of that stuff so I made him a µ.zip. Got him to send it back to me yesterday to remind me what was in there.

x53MAkE.png

^so there's some potentials. There's some missing I think though as there no way I woulda left out Ambulance.

Knew there was some missing, here's the whole thing

unknown.png

Archived