Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TR 808, TR 909, TR 606, SH 101

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: TR 808, TR 909, TR 606, SH 101 (23 member(s) have cast votes)

DO WE NEED THESE BOXES?

1. YES (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

2. NO (15 votes [65.22%])

Percentage of vote: 65.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 digitaltsunami

digitaltsunami

• Knob Twiddlers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 17-September 18

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:02 AM

I currently have and use 808, 909, 606 and 101 — classic Roland boxes. 

I am wondering if we / I still need these boxes; I have a deep emotional connection to them, not easy to sell them as I used so much in the past and in many records I did but also wondering, do we REALLY need at this day and age? 

Electronic music, I don't even know where we at with current sounds and avant-garde techniques to be honest

#2 TheBro

TheBro

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • 34 topics
  • Joined 09-June 17
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/thebro

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

I'll take them if you don't want them anymore lol.

#3 MIXL2

MIXL2

Owl of Minerva

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 08-August 12
  • Interests:muziq & maths

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:35 AM

do we need guitars

#4 worms

worms

aciiiiiiiiiiiiiied

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • 49 topics
  • Joined 05-June 18
  • SoundCloud URL:www.soundcloud.com/bran1983
  • Interests:acid

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

I'm keeping mine
But I respect all the talented people using airas and volcas

#5 digitaltsunami

digitaltsunami

• Knob Twiddlers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 17-September 18

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:58 AM

not interested in replicas at all — my question is: do we need 808 and 909 sounds in 2019?

even with modern fx I think they still sound dated

I'll take them if you don't want them anymore lol.

I can sell them :)

#6 Alan Ord

Alan Ord

1000 Club

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • 101 topics
  • Joined 28-July 14
  • Interests:CRYING IN YOUR FACE

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:44 PM

Do we need them? No.

Are they fun to play with? Yes. 

It really depends on your end goal. You want to jam and enjoy making tracks with a basic but cool setup? Keep them. 

You want to make mind bending music with new sounds* that takes the listener to another world? You might want to sell them and do something else. 

*Some people may still be able to make amazing new music with this hardware but 99% of people couldn't. 

#7 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

They're 40 years old. Move on.

#8 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:29 PM

If they're what you love to use, and they inspire you every time you use them, in the same way a nice vintage guitar might inspire, then I wouldn't really want to tell you to get rid of them. If I had a 909 I'd probably keep it, but the temptation would always be there to sell it and buy a bunch of other gear, simply because I don't like drum machines where I'm locked in to a very specific bunch of sounds.

#9 BCM

BCM

The King

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,746 posts
  • 285 topics
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:02 PM

101s are fucking wicked. Doubt I'll ever get rid of mine. Might be selling my 202 tho...need the cash. Also thinking of selling a couple other Roland X0X drum things. Might replace all of them with a TR8S or something, and pocket the difference. Well, actually pay off some credit cards is more likely.

But I don't think they're needed necessarily anymore. If you want those sounds there's so many ways to get them - plugins, sample packs, multiple hardware options.

#10 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

They're not guitars. If they were, they'd be Gibsons: good back in the 60's-80's, but newer ones are overpriced shit quality. The only way they stay relevant is to have some old fart musician from that era come back during a live concert and make some marketing off that and show it off to everyone. TR series should be left alongside all of the records they've produced that are currently in the disco and house 1$ bin at tge record shop. Speaking of pulling out old fart musicians for marketing :aphexsign:

#11 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:56 PM

They're not guitars.

Yeah, but I was simply comparing for the sake of mentioning that something can have an unquantifiable "inspiration" that comes from laying hands on it; I've certainly had that from old guitars, synths and drum machines.. but I also get that from new instruments as well. 

I totally believe that we should move on from 808/909 sounds, but sometimes the machines themselves can just be nice to use, you know?

#12 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:37 PM

That's definitely fair enough. If it's a user-interface thing, I can see that and agree.

#13 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,769 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:52 PM

I've only owned a 606. It was definitely cool but I sincerely preferred the Electribe ER-1mkI when I had it, and I like the Pocket Operators more now.

Don't have any love for the others although I wouldn't turn down a 101. 202 seems way cooler, though.

#14 thawkins

thawkins

marx4live - liberate the means of modulation

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • 16 topics
  • Joined 20-June 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

I don't know how true this may be for drum machines particularly, but I don't think it's fair to say any instrument is outdated. I can understand that personally for me a thing may become exhausted or boring if it does not inspire to create unique stuff anymore, but it does not mean that someone else somewhere can't wizard up a whole other genre with the same thing. 

Sure there's some pieces of gear that get you to the results you want faster because of better feel/workflow, but in the end it's just a tool that you channel your inner creativity with.

I say put the machines in a box and try out something else for a while, fight it until you are happy with the results, then take the machines out again and re-discover them with your newfound mad skillz.

#15 TheBro

TheBro

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • 34 topics
  • Joined 09-June 17
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/thebro

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

I had TR606 for like a week and then got rid of it stupidly when I should of kept it!! I own a TR505 though which I gotta say I prefer soundwise although many will disagree lol.

#16 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

I haven't had my hands on a 101 in about 15 years and I've never had an of the others (used a 707 occasionally and owned a 505 for years, that's the closest I've been) I've been using the x0xb0x (with n0nx0x firmware, so essentially a clone of the 303 workflow) for actual non-acid bass guitar style bass lines lately.  I guess some people find original 303 style sequencing confusing but I love it, it's fast and intuitive and fun.  The sound is good, too, but it's the sequencer that really makes it for me.

But a lot of the most compelling sounds I've heard people getting recently have come out of either the Kurzweil K2500 or the Axoloti.

#17 digitaltsunami

digitaltsunami

• Knob Twiddlers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 17-September 18

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:48 AM

I say put the machines in a box and try out something else for a while, fight it until you are happy with the results, then take the machines out again and re-discover them with your newfound mad skillz.

Good idea !