IGNORED

Anyone rocking the MSSIAH C64 Midi Cartridge

TheBro

I have one but not really using it which is a shame because the C64 Sid chip sounds great. I want to use it but always felt like a physical Midi Controller would compliment the cartridge. Anyone else got / use one?

cart2.png

I want to use it but always felt like a physical Midi Controller would compliment the cartridge.

So what's stopping you from doing just that ?

Well my studio isn't set up at the moment so I'm just using the Ipad due to limited space. :-(

I was back when it first came out (since I'd gotten a nice, boxed c64 with floppy drive basically free in a trade), until I plugged the wrong lead from my c64 to the video input of the monitor and it burned up the SID. I did eventually find a replacement but it was an early one and I never liked the sound of it as much as the 6581r4 that I fried (which is of course the rarest version and was already getting close to unobtainable back in 2009 when I killed it).

I liked it a lot but the fact is, even if you properly ground the filter input a c64 is still ABSURDLY noisy (much better than if you leave the filter input ungrounded but still very noisy) just because of the lack of RF shielding and ground isolation, and it's really easy to damage the SID because there's nothing in the way of protection circuitry.  If I was going to do it again I'd get my hands on a MIDIbox SID or SamichSID instead.

Got a dual-sid C64 with a Mssiah and want to incorporate it into an oldschool set-up triggering it through an Amiga running protracker. Quite cool sounds to be had Bro, if you keep on failing to use it you can send me your mssiah for free.

Got a dual-sid C64 with a Mssiah and want to incorporate it into an oldschool set-up triggering it through an Amiga running protracker. Quite cool sounds to be had Bro, if you keep on failing to use it you can send me your mssiah for free.

Ha ha. :-) Yeah man I'm gonna get on once I get my studio up and running again!!

Archived