IGNORED

1991 - No More Dreams 03

fumi

Boomkat: Patently a less-is-more kinda guy when it comes to the release schedule - after 3 releases in 2012, nowt until 2016, and now this - 1991 makes up for lost time with this knackered but energetic session for his No More Dreams label.

The OG 1991 tracks are all “up” in the mode of his ’Skogen, Flickan Och Flaskan’ 12”, as opposed to the airy drowse of his last No More Dreams outing or the gauze of his widely adored ‘High-Tech Low-Life’ and self-titled sides.

A-side brings three jacking drum machine workouts, each decayed to a mid-rangey nub of distorted recoil and splattered drums, yet able to juice a sweat from locked-in dances. On the B-side he follows suit with a shot of kinky NYC/Brum-techno swing, before Rezzett provides an EP highlight with the nimble, skippy Chicago flair of his cracking remix for the track, ’94’.

Had a listen to these samples. This is probably for completists only. Some grainy but forceful techno.

not sure why you mention completionists.. sounds like a solid ep!

93 kind of reminds me of a lo-fi mr oizo lol

94 and the remix are especially bangin  :music:

Because it's not his trademark sound. Lots of folks might not like banging techno, especially if they're only into his grainy, lo-fi aesthetic.

Re the 1991 alias: To me the project has always been pretty wide - of course it has a distinct sonic quality but the approach /technique between the self titled and no more dreams were super different.  Sampled/plundered vs synthesized ambient to oversimplify it.  So to me something like this fit right in at least on first impression.  Kinda like when huerco s started putting out ambient tunes under the same name, while its totally different technique, it makes enough sense

Re the 1991 alias: To me the project has always been pretty wide - of course it has a distinct sonic quality but the approach /technique between the self titled and no more dreams were super different.  Sampled/plundered vs synthesized ambient to oversimplify it.  So to me something like this fit right in at least on first impression.  Kinda like when huerco s started putting out ambient tunes under the same name, while its totally different technique, it makes enough sense

Huerco S is a good comparison, in the sense that you can hear how these all these releases fall under one umbrella. Axel Backman's YT favorites channel sheds light on his influences as well 

Two producers that also come to mind are Kai Hugo (Palmbomen II) and fellow swede Henrik Stelzer (Fluorescent Heights, Metro Riders). The former has frequently mentioned both 80s house and dream pop/ambient as influences, and the latter has a similar dichotomy of releasing mostly lo-fi ambient music and then a release of lo-fi house/techno. I do find 1991's techno stuff pretty damn detached from his ambient work: it's mostly percussive and very raw, seemingly very little melodic sampling. On the flipside Huerco S, Palmbomen II and Metro Riders seem to balance their 4/4 stuff with more ambient / melodic samples. It's all very much the same oft melancholic and familiar lo-fi timbre.

Percival Pembroke reminds me most of 1991, his ambient drone especially. I feel like he's hit on the same sampling methodology as 1991. 

sounds pretty good, tho not like anything he's done before. he should have released it under a different name

He did in the past, sort of, the techno stuff was as " MCMXCI "

This release is alight, not as emotionally gripping but def interesting and engaging. Kind of brave how damn percussive, raw, and banging  it is. "92" has straight up Universal Indicator vibes on it.

o shiii, i have the digitals of that opal tapes release but never knew it was 1991.  for others: 

https://opaltapes.com/album/skogen-flickan-och-flaskan

so obvious now that MCMXCI=1991 in roman numerals. maybe he released this new one under 1991 because of idiots like me who never made the connection that it was him

o shiii, i have the digitals of that opal tapes release but never knew it was 1991.  for others: 

https://opaltapes.com/album/skogen-flickan-och-flaskan

so obvious now that MCMXCI=1991 in roman numerals. maybe he released this new one under 1991 because of idiots like me who never made the connection that it was him

dude, you are not alone! I knew it was an alias of his quickly but I didn't realize it was merely a name variation of '1991' via Roman Numerals until I saw someone merge the discogs pages years later

Simpsons+comp+5_604043_5408073.jpg

I actually want more of this stuff. I love Skogen, Flickan Och Flaskan and was pleasantly surprised that No More Dreams 03 was more along these lines than his usual ambient stuff.

1991 and related projects are instabuy for me, so whatever he puts out I'm likely to buy.

More ambient leaning stuff on his tumblr

http://hightechhighlife.tumblr.com/

Goodness me, those are nice. Wish he would have released those instead the banging techno I lost interest in after two listens.

There were 3 other tracks on the tumblr as well a year ago or so, then 

He had additional videos that I wish he hadn't deleted from YT 

This is unreleased as well:

Archived