Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

How to I get Reaktor to control my hardware synths?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

I've been staring at my ensemble for way too long now and it's getting embarrassing.

I've got my MS20 hooked up on input 1 and I'm getting a signal when I attach input 1 directly to output 1 and 2. But for some reason I can't wrap my head around how to get let's say the Bento Box SEQ-8 Steps to control both the pitch and gate of the MS20. I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm pretty ok at using Reaktor, but for some reason I've never thought of using Reaktor to control my synths and I'm completely lost.

Halp!

#2 rhmilo

rhmilo

• Supporting Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 19-November 18

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

Not sure what you mean by "MS 20 hooked up on input 1 and getting a signal when [you] attach input 1 directly to output 1 and 2" but I'm pretty sure getting Bento Box SEQ-8 to control an MS 20 simply by hooking its control inputs up to a sound card isn't going to work (flawlessly).

First of all you need an audio output that's "DC coupled", meaning it will output the type of control voltages that, say, the SEQ-8 produces. Most audio interfaces don't do this.

Then, Korg unfortunately uses a control voltage format that's different from what the rest of the world uses. So even if you get your MS 20 to respond to the output of your SEQ-8 it won'd do so in a way that makes any sense.

You could look into getting a fancy DC-coupled audio interface such as the Expert Sleepers ES-8. People use these with Eurorack with no problems at all. Maybe these can also translate control signals to the format Korg uses, dunno.

Probably an easier option is to hook your MS20 up via MIDI and use one of the Reaktor MIDI sequencers to control it.

Good luck!

#3 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

Probably an easier option is to hook your MS20 up via MIDI and use one of the Reaktor MIDI sequencers to control it.

Haha, that's what I'm trying to do ;D

#4 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts
  • 179 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

(ignore the little -0.3 box at the top but ...

16965_screen_shot_20170202_at_102957_1.p

#5 rhmilo

rhmilo

• Supporting Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 19-November 18

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

Haha, that's what I'm trying to do ;D

Ah,ok. I thought you wanted to use Reaktor as part of a modular type setup, with Blocks providing extra CV control or something.

For MIDI it's just a question of assigning Reaktor's MIDI output to the port your synth is connected to and sending the MIDI output object some notes, as in the example above.

#6 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Thanks, guys! I fucked up... I wasn't using Reaktor as a AU MIDI Effect in Logic so that explains a lot.