IGNORED

How to I get Reaktor to control my hardware synths?

Squee

I've been staring at my ensemble for way too long now and it's getting embarrassing.

I've got my MS20 hooked up on input 1 and I'm getting a signal when I attach input 1 directly to output 1 and 2. But for some reason I can't wrap my head around how to get let's say the Bento Box SEQ-8 Steps to control both the pitch and gate of the MS20. I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm pretty ok at using Reaktor, but for some reason I've never thought of using Reaktor to control my synths and I'm completely lost.

Halp!

Not sure what you mean by "MS 20 hooked up on input 1 and getting a signal when [you] attach input 1 directly to output 1 and 2" but I'm pretty sure getting Bento Box SEQ-8 to control an MS 20 simply by hooking its control inputs up to a sound card isn't going to work (flawlessly).

First of all you need an audio output that's "DC coupled", meaning it will output the type of control voltages that, say, the SEQ-8 produces. Most audio interfaces don't do this.

Then, Korg unfortunately uses a control voltage format that's different from what the rest of the world uses. So even if you get your MS 20 to respond to the output of your SEQ-8 it won'd do so in a way that makes any sense.

You could look into getting a fancy DC-coupled audio interface such as the Expert Sleepers ES-8. People use these with Eurorack with no problems at all. Maybe these can also translate control signals to the format Korg uses, dunno.

Probably an easier option is to hook your MS20 up via MIDI and use one of the Reaktor MIDI sequencers to control it.

Good luck!

Probably an easier option is to hook your MS20 up via MIDI and use one of the Reaktor MIDI sequencers to control it.

Haha, that's what I'm trying to do ;D

Ah,ok. I thought you wanted to use Reaktor as part of a modular type setup, with Blocks providing extra CV control or something.

For MIDI it's just a question of assigning Reaktor's MIDI output to the port your synth is connected to and sending the MIDI output object some notes, as in the example above.

Archived