IGNORED

Grimes - We Appreciate Power [single]

T3551ER

Her Realiti(Demo Version) was pretty good.

I remember when Azealia Banks posted stuff about how Musk and Grimes tried to get her to have a musky, grimey 3sum and it was a triple lol

Her Realiti(Demo Version) was pretty good.

I remember when Azealia Banks posted stuff about how Musk and Grimes tried to get her to have a musky, grimey 3sum and it was a triple lol

Yeah that was some Bravo Real Housewives level shit drama. Apparently some beef with Poppy as well.

I've had a pretty turbulent relationship with her music as a fan in the last year or so. Every time I'm on the verge of taking my Grimes tour shirt out of it's storage box some other shit happens. She's always been a bit daft beyond her artistic talents - flighty sociopolitical musings in the past, something easily overlooked from an avant-garde pop musician. Her profile since Art Angels really pushed her into mega indie celebrity status - akin to say FKA Twigs - and likewise cemented her audience being a much wider, mainstream crowd. I mention FKA Twigs because via her Robert Pattinson dating news she was awkwardly ushered into pop culture without any context the way Grimes was with Elon Musk, i.e. a name now top people who would otherwise have never heard her let alone listen to her music. 

At work a co-worker brought up Musk, searched for an article he'd read, and once he saw this picture thumbnail via google results asked gregariously "what the fuck is that?"

5b72e5b980eb3519008b5170-2732-1366.jpg

In lieu of running through my gradual and complicated fandom history of her music I just said "she's an indie electronic artist, it's a long story"

I really want her to make weird unabashed shit again. This track keeps that hope alive but doesn't sound very promising either, the potential is there but she seems to be increasingly cautious and safe, as do so many other indie musicians as they become more popular. The track goes 2 minutes too long. There's a great opportunity for some spastic synth solo or cheesy guitar breakdown with drums but it never comes.

I'm not sure she's coy enough to openly usher in a 90s industrial / nu metal revival but this sure sounds like it - I'm reminded of Smashing Pumpkins' Adore era stuff. It will be new to younger listeners but hilariously familiar to those of us who have all but forgotten the era of watching the Crow, wearing JNCOs, browsing Case Logic holder filled with burned CD-Rs, and drinking Mountain Dew.

First listen: just sounds like a natural evolution of what she has previously done. She makes fun, slightly flawed, dgaf music. A victim of fan worship pedestal. Art Angels is a decent album with some bangers (e.g. Kill V. Maim). Sure, there are lots of strongly identifiable influences in there, but the blend is interesting, I dig it as an idiosyncratic alternative to "future pop". Just don't overthink it, she'll release an album bubbling in influences which will set the influenced in several different directions.

Why the furore? Grimes has always been best dug in moderation, this is no different. Cool opening single, cue another divisive album.

First listen: just sounds like a natural evolution of what she has previously done. She makes fun, slightly flawed, dgaf music. A victim of fan worship pedestal. Art Angels is a decent album with some bangers (e.g. Kill V. Maim). Sure, there are lots of strongly identifiable influences in there, but the blend is interesting, I dig it as an idiosyncratic alternative to "future pop". Just don't overthink it, she'll release an album bubbling in influences which will set the influenced in several different directions.

Why the furore? Grimes has always been best dug in moderation, this is no different. Cool opening single, cue another divisive album.

Divisive?

8e2e5b663b1680d2fc4c96c7e36fad1a.jpg

Divisive?

As in initially among existing fans. There will be some loud dissent which eventually comes around (or moves on). That was the vibe last time round, and it will be more pronounced this time.

Divisive?

As in initially among existing fans. There will be some loud dissent which eventually comes around (or moves on). That was the vibe last time round, and it will be more pronounced this time.

True enough - but honestly that’s been happening forever. There was a substantially vocal number of people that thought Visions was her “sellout record” after Halfaxa. Whenever anyone switches up their style there are detractors - it just so happens that Grimes does it with more frequency than most.

The Hafler Trio - Dear, Musk (Musk Deer)... do the fragrant rocket infuse of Grimes so Jesus can come back and close the loop EP

(NEW! comes with a sample of mamba-skin and the T1000 laser heel grater)

Divisive?

True enough - but honestly that’s been happening forever. There was a substantially vocal number of people that thought Visions was her “sellout record” after Halfaxa. Whenever anyone switches up their style there are detractors - it just so happens that Grimes does it with more frequency than most.

I wouldn't call it 50/50 level divisive but let's be honest, music reviews simply aren't harsh or critical any more and those who were iffy on her work post-Visions aren't the kind who will post a user review on Metacritic. It's misleading.

I really like 3 tracks: Genesis, Oblivion, and Realiti(Demo). She has tha skillz, but so did a lot of people who picked The Dark Side/Sith. She probably has a life sized hamster cage for prospective victims.

What's really jarring for me is my impression of Grimes circa 2013 - she was kind of dorky, fairly reserved, etc. She was in a long-term relationship with James Brooks (Elite Gymnastics / Default Genders) who is another indie electronic artist. I am a big fan of his music and while it was a low key relationship it was publicly known. I actually assumed they were still together before the Musk dating reveal. I don't want to pry but I'm curious how different she was then versus now. 

To me, that dorkiness has always been the central tenet of her music (in a good way).

I'm not really across her personal life, so forgive me if I don't instantly understand why dating a billionaire makes her beyond hope. She can do whatever the hell she wants for all I care, I'm hardly interested in her relationships and views. She can have an affair with Trump for all I care.

Archived