IGNORED

Holly Herndon's Spawn project

misc

I've been following this a bit from stuff Holly Herndon has posted, but as far as I know this is the first piece of music that's come out of it, and it's a Jlin collab no less. I find the family terminology all a bit cringy but the project itself is pretty interesting.

https://twitter.com/hollyherndon/status/1069978436851113985/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1069978436851113985&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.residentadvisor.net%2Fnews%2F42917

I love these two. I'm really excited. Their collab on Jlin's Black Origami record was that album's best track.

yeah, yowsas, pretty great. So, sifting through the language, this is basically machine learning applied to audio, right? 

Edit: not discounting how amazing it is that machine learning might produce something that is indistinguishable from music made from a human being.  

I didn't think much of this when I heard it first, didn't realise it was entirely AI produced though, which is kinda interesting I guess (though the anthropomorphising is a bit lame, agreed). still sounds unfocused and unfinished though, would be better combined with some more traditional methods maybe. 

I didn't think much of this when I heard it first, didn't realise it was entirely AI produced though, which is kinda interesting I guess (though the anthropomorphising is a bit lame, agreed). still sounds unfocused and unfinished though, would be better combined with some more traditional methods maybe. 

I actually had the complete opposite reaction. Knew it was completely AI produced before I listened so was expecting a far less coherent piece, but was surprised by how musical it was. Especially with the percussive elements, which feel really loose and jammy but completely locked in to the track. I agree that combining it with traditional methods would probably result in more interesting music overall, but as a proof of concept I'd say this is pretty impressive. 

Either way I'm excited to hear how this stuff is used on Holly's next album.

Archived