Well the EU needs to be destroyed, it is anti democratic, designed to destroy european nation states. There is no common european demos. Young people’s naivety towards it is astounding. The uk legal system has nothing in common with german or french law. British law was far superior in design. Fair Jury trial, magna carta, habeus corpus, liberty under the law. Civil liberties like these didn’t exist in france and germany. England would be better off out of this superstate, out of the eu army, out of the un plan for eurabia. Uk legal system is fucked atm, grizzly things like torture going on behind the scenes. The sooner uk leaves the better, it will give us a chance to retore our precious legal system, which is worth more than gdp or piles of gold. Historically britain traded by sea and ignored the continent, which is what we should do again in order to be a successful country. We need more Aristotle Onassis types too, we need to rebuild the merchant navy. Also we need to at all costs avoid a war with russia, only brexit and a corbyn government can achieve these things. If you vote Tory you are scum. Btw afx is 100% right to quite tony benn, a democratic hero of the left.

still a pretty brain dead post

halloween gonna be freaky deeky!

Do people in Europe realize that most of the ancient structures around them have been rebuilt? Due to bombings, Dissolution, revolts, raiding, decay. What you are seeing is not really real. About as real as any fake castle in Disney world. I have this thing for true extant structures from the ancient world, and sadly there aren't many. 

And what is ancient in your book? 500+ years old?

Do people in Europe realize that most of the ancient structures around them have been rebuilt? Due to bombings, Dissolution, revolts, raiding, decay. What you are seeing is not really real. About as real as any fake castle in Disney world. I have this thing for true extant structures from the ancient world, and sadly there aren't many.

*stonehenge*

someone beat you to it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-47893307

Neolithic monuments invite you to sostooooooooooooned, take in the views & wonder what these cunts were thinking

they're their own systems of power & people probably argued over every aspect of their existence, from the provenance of stones, architectural designs, getting round trade unions & legislation, to negotiating wages, you can go the full Marxist or go toostooooooooned like Graham Hancock

@Marf - def time for a mission to Avebury to shake the Brexit bs off

:catrecline:  :catsalute:

We must protect Stonehenge from the Eurocrats. Knowing them they'd want to put the stones in a straight line with even metric spacing or something *tuts*

We must protect Stonehenge from the Eurocrats. Knowing them they'd want to put the stones in a straight line with even metric spacing or something *tuts*

too late it was rebuilt in the 50s(?)

:catrecline:  :catsalute:

Ooof, as if Scottish independence would be one bit less complicated than the Brexit chaos we have right now. But would definitely be interesting to know what would happen

what is your point really? that the roman colosseum and the pallatine hill, the acropolis in athens, the ruins of pompeii, delphi, etc have been rebuilt? you surely mean excavated and preserved. the ruins are real, but if you believe someone made those ruins out of plaster to make them look like 2000+ year old ruins you are quite mistaken.

or if you believe that ancient cities should still stand intact after 2000+ years of every human and natural force imaginable, you're quite delusional.

Posted (edited)

what is your point really? that the roman colosseum and the pallatine hill, the acropolis in athens, the ruins of pompeii, delphi, etc have been rebuilt? you surely mean excavated and preserved. the ruins are real, but if you believe someone made those ruins out of plaster to make them look like 2000+ year old ruins you are quite mistaken.

or if you believe that ancient cities should still stand intact after 2000+ years of every human and natural force imaginable, you're quite delusional.

artistic interpretations Edited by drome

Posted (edited)

I don't have have a point. Im just upset about it. You mention a few structures, but they are the exception. I like ruins. Im sad it's been ruined. At least it's real. But I come across more structures that have been reconstructed in the 19th century than anything, and a pang of disappoint comes over me. I wish more than anything I could time travel. The point I guess is the folly of man. We never appreciate we are living in history.  But something like Aula Palatina in Trier, That is a wonderful thing. Brugge, a wonderful thing. 

Edited by marf

are you on acid?

Brexit needs more psychedelic-infused irreversible neural damage

Time to crack open some Kevin Ayers

I don’t get the confusion. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t marf saying that many historic monuments have been reconstructed and aren’t necessarily faithful to the originals? This is definitely the case with Stonehenge. Are you lot being obtuse or what?

I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand tho...

fucking immigrants coming over here, refurbishing our stonehenge

bloody bastards

Posted (edited)

my Ma said it could look better with some fitted curtains, but possibly an Irish itinerant plot hawking for shoddy, half-finished work it seems

Edited by cwmbrancity

Wasnt it those russian tourists coming for ancient architecture before they decided to poison some former soviets? Perhaps they blamed them for ruining those ancient relics. I think i'm onto to something. My tinfoil cap says so, anyways.

Posted (edited)

Wasnt it those russian tourists coming for ancient architecture before they decided to poison some former soviets? Perhaps they blamed them for ruining those ancient relics. I think i'm onto to something. My tinfoil cap says so, anyways.

Your tinfoil hat is permanently turned in to the mainstream news frequency as far as I can tell bro. Full on receive and repeat mode.

Back to brexit if you must. Anyone not actually sick to death of it now?

Edited by drome

Mainstream media for the win!!!

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)

Much victory for the gullible

edit - you seem like a decent chap goDel. No harm meant.

Edited by drome