BCM

Ukip won 4 million votes at its peak. Even if a 2nd referendum happens, Nigel Farage is planning on making a Brexit Party that in theory could win 4 million votes at least at a general election. 2nd ref irrelevant. Brexit is unstoppable.

people still are not properly informed though. same as america, a huge amount of people still think that newspapers have some kind of responsibility to tell the truth, instead of pushing whatever political agenda the owner of the newspaper needs to continue maximising personal profits. 

Edited by messiaen

There's going to be a shit load of underground economy. If shitloads of people get arrested and they can't deal with the overflow. Maybe they'll rethink it

Edited by marf

But scotland voted to stay in the union :/

the main contention is that it was a massive, persuasive part of unionist campaigning that to vote for remaining in the UK would keep scotland in the EU, which is a pretty big deal for scotland because they export a higher percentage of goods there than england. scotland voted to remain in the EU with the highest majority of any part of britain. 

the english goverment treats scotland with such a vicious contempt its still surprising to me that indepence lost the first time round. the mandate was established afterwards aswell by scotland once again voting the SNP in so overwhelmingly that they became the 3rd largest westminster party even though scotland has 5million citizens compared to englands 60 odd million.

Edited by messiaen

There’s no rule saying we can’t have a referendum every year. I guess people feel helpless and powerless after losing a referendum. To me it makes sense to wait a whole generation before asking again. Every 30-40 years sits about right.

Has anyone seen this? Video about the ref we had in the 70s.

But scotland voted to stay in the union :/

the main contention is that it was a massive, persuasive part of unionist campaigning that to vote for remaining in the UK would keep scotland in the EU, which is a pretty big deal for scotland because they export a higher percentage of goods there than england. scotland voted to remain in the EU with the highest majority of any part of britain. 

the english goverment treats scotland with such a vicious contempt its still surprising to me that indepence lost the first time round. the mandate was established afterwards aswell by scotland once again voting the SNP in so overwhelmingly that they became the 3rd largest westminster party even though scotland has 5million citizens compared to englands 60 odd million.

Yeah I wonder if Snp has reached its peak or will they continue nagging for their own 2nd ref. Depends on corbyn’s skills.

The irony. Hey I get irony. I know Im a yank. Is these hard brexit people who are nationalists might actually break apart Britain in the end

i think the SNP will hold another referendum in the case of a no deal brexit because it will be catastrophically bad for scotland, and not a single area of scotland voted for it. 

if the whole thing gets extended and brushed under the rug, probably not.

it remains to be seen wether the UK will react in the same way as with the catalonians and just arrest everyone involved. again, potential riot material. 

the situation is quite different because scotland is actually a full, separate country embroiled in political union, as opposed to catalonia which is officialy part of spain, but still, who knows. 

Im more worried about probrexit yellow vests turning to terror. We already had an mp get shot and stabbed to death (jo cox) and a lonely nutter drove his car into a mosque. Chances of civil disorder are quite high if there's a 2nd ref.