BCM

Great, looks like Corbyn is leading us into soft Brexit world. The worst of both worlds.

Heard a good analogy on the radio this morning.

The EU customs union is like being a full paying member of a very expensive golf club, but only being allowed to caddy.

why is that a good analogy? what specifically is the difference between the fee we pay to be in the single market, and the economic benefit of exporting without any import/export tax to 28 other countries?

yeah, it's a dumb idea. why bother leaving at all in that case? no deal or other hard brexit options would have a terrible impact on the economy, this wouldn't, but it's hard to see a legitimate reason for wanting to do it in the first place, other than 'respecting the referendum result', which isn't a very good reason.

why is that a good analogy? what specifically is the difference between the fee we pay to be in the single market, and the economic benefit of exporting without any import/export tax to 28 other countries?

The difference is we won't have any MEPs sitting in on the meetings to help make decisions on what happens to us.

E.G we won't actually be playing golf, just watching the games unfold.

Edited by fletcher

Which is exactly why we need to call the whole thing off and remain. There is no better deal than we currently have.

Agreed, if its not actually possible for our MPs to make a decision on a full Brexit, then i'd rather stay in than have some shitty halfway house hybrid offspring monster bastard.

What worries me about brexit is where will I order my records from? Shipping costs from the UK have usually been more reasonable than from Germany or other EU countries. After a no-deal brexit I would probably need to pay customs fees for them as well. I don't like it.

edit: also pre-emptive sorry for the food and medicine shortages UK.

I think I asked this already during the referendum in some other thread. Hard to see how webstores like Bleep will not be affected by this.

Luckily I gave up buying physical..

Isn't a lot of vinyl pressed on mainland Europe anyways.  Prices will inevitably rise unless we get our own old plants back up and running (we probably sold all the equipment off cheap years ago though)

Isn't a lot of vinyl pressed on mainland Europe anyways. Prices will inevitably rise unless we get our own old plants back up and running (we probably sold all the equipment off cheap years ago though)

This is about customs when buying from UK so that it's shipped to some other EU country. I used to buy most of my vinyl and books from UK and it was pretty straightforward inside EU (basically same as buying domestic) but fuck that if I need to clear customs for every order over 20€.

There's actually a risk that if you ordered before Brexit but receive the order after that you're going to pay both the VAT and the customs.

There's actually a risk that if you ordered before Brexit but receive the order after that you're going to pay both the VAT and the customs.

Hope my WCN order from Germany turns up pretty sharpish then :cerious:

What worries me about brexit is where will I order my records from? Shipping costs from the UK have usually been more reasonable than from Germany or other EU countries. After a no-deal brexit I would probably need to pay customs fees for them as well. I don't like it.

edit: also pre-emptive sorry for the food and medicine shortages UK.

I have been ordering records from the UK since the days of Fat Cat and Pelicanneck but customs fees will put an end to that. Some shops might just go out of business if their costs rise and they lose the majority of their EU customers.

I just remembered that I used to order records from the US regularly until the mid 00's when customs clamped down. I think international postage costs from the US have gone way up since then too, but it seems crazy to consider ordering a box of records from Forced Exposure nowadays.

you shouldn't be paying VAT on exports

you shouldn't be paying VAT on exports

Buying things from another EU country is not importing or exporting so you pay the VAT but normally you wouldn't pay the customs.

I recently got a guitar pedal from Norway and had to pay VAT plus the customs duties before Parcelforce would release it from the depot to ship it to my house, so I guess this is what would happen from every other EU country in the event of a no-deal.

Edited by fletcher

if it turns into a situation like buying from america, no chance il be able to get anything from the EU. america is an absolute rip. your looking at an extra 100 quid on any synth gear

Great, looks like Corbyn is leading us into soft Brexit world. The worst of both worlds.

Heard a good analogy on the radio this morning.

The EU customs union is like being a full paying member of a very expensive golf club, but only being allowed to caddy.

Ah argument by analogy, not buying it. Plus, then how come Norway is loaded? 

oh yeah I see that now sorry. this BREXIT thing isn't gonna work is it. 

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

there's no fucking way the Norway model is going to work for us. we're just cutting of our largest customer base here and for what?

UK-Trade-exports-graphic-001.jpg