BCM

12 minutes ago, MadameChaos said:

why did she even take this job, did she really think things would go well with such a bunch of infighting selfish ball bags like the Tories?

I'm sure she would have made a fantastic Private School headmistress. She probably would have enjoyed it a lot more too. 

Incredibly this could happen in such a public way. I'm sure she expected a difficult and unthankful job, but I don't think many could have predicted it would be this bad. I'm sure she'd expected to find a bit more reason and a glimpse of cooperation within Tory. This felt more like a malign form of bullying on an international stage. She should start a #MeToo twitter thread on stories about being bullied in her job.

2 minutes ago, goDel said:

Incredibly this could happen in such a public way. I'm sure she expected a difficult and unthankful job, but I don't think many could have predicted it would be this bad. I'm sure she'd expected to find a bit more reason and a glimpse of cooperation within Tory. This felt more like a malign form of bullying on an international stage. She should start a #MeToo twitter thread on stories about being bullied in her job.

Yeah it was pretty horrific, she should never have taken the poisoned chalice from Cameron. Her hubris was her downfall in the end. I hope she enjoys her next job/retirement. I'm sure she's not a bad person, but obviously has some very questionable views on the populace (snoopers charter etc).

14 minutes ago, MadameChaos said:

I'm pretty sure I read he's still getting paid for the MEP role. Let me see if I can find the article....

Well yeah, he's still an MEP, would be weird if they weren't paying him.

Will be interesting to see how much backbone the remain supporting Tories have if Boris or someone similar gets in. Dominic Grieve has said he'll vote to collapse the government if there's any chance of no-deal brexit happening (and Boris has said he's fine leaving without a deal), so it might be a short stint as prime minister for whoever's up next.

James O'Brien on LBC was always ranting about how hypocritical UKIP were always getting money from the EU.  So I presume that is true.

4 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

a lot of history going on at the moment ?

world wide it seems like the history container is about full and needs to be flushed. 

spacer.png

Corbyn v Boris = worst of both worlds

ex-public school Marxist who voted leave vs an ex-public narcissist who voted leave but will plough on & play to the gallery to a no deal outcome

wunderbar

Time for something new methinks. Need a young generation to crush this Labour vs Tory never ending treadmill. 

I don't think there's been a better time in history for forward thinking people with new ideas to push things forward and try something new. 

brexit party wiped the floor in england. im done. im disowning my nationality. fucking despicable. scottish independence is looking closer than ever though. 

as much as i like seeing the tory party decimated, nigel fucking farage. what possible utter fucking cunt of a human being, could look at him, listen to him, then walk out and vote for him. thats 31 percent of the english electorate.

57 minutes ago, pcock said:

brexit party wiped the floor in england. im done. im disowning my nationality. fucking despicable. scottish independence is looking closer than ever though. 

love ur salty tears :)

one vote should have been enough, but if i have to vote 500 more times for brexit, then 'we' will :spiteful:

not a great result for The Brexit Party at all, clear majority for remain parties. if this had been a 2nd referendum we'd be staying. brexit party just absorbed the UKIP vote and took a big chunk of the tory vote, the lib dems seem to have taken a much larger portion of the tory vote in many areas though. The Lib Dems are the big winners here.

Edited by caze
  • Like 1

also, Mr Yaxley-Lennon slunk off from the count centre before the vote was even announced, and when his vote tally was announced the entire hall erupted in laughter. which was nice.

55 minutes ago, caze said:

not a great result for The Brexit Party at all, clear majority for remain parties. if this had been a 2nd referendum we'd be staying. brexit party just absorbed the UKIP vote and took a big chunk of the tory vote, the lib dems seem to have taken a much larger portion of the tory vote in many areas though. The Lib Dems are the big winners here.

results say otherwise, once again

2 hours ago, B1000 said:

results say otherwise, once again

basic arithmetic isn't your strong suit I take it?

Pro-brexit parties:

Brexit Party: 31.6%
UKIP: 3.3%

Total: 34.9%

Anti-brexit, pro 2nd referendum parties:

Lib Dems: 20.3%

Green: 12.09%

SNP: 3.6%

Change UK: 3.4%

Plaid Cymru: 1%

Total: 40.39%

That leaves Labour with 14.1% (who are a majority remain party, in terms of support if not leadership), and the Tories with 9% (who are a majority leave party), plus a few % scattered about amongst a few others (which together accounts for 2 pro-remain MEPs and 1 leave MEP from NI). Taken together that accounts for a few more % for the remain side, though it would be difficult to apportion it out exactly so I'll leave it out for the sake of fairness.

Pro-brexit parties btw increased their vote share by 7.4%, while the anti-brexit parties increased theirs by 22.43%.

Edited by caze
  • Like 1

I don't really know about UK Euro politics.

How many votes does this have to go through before it's settled? Seems like this has been dragging on for years now.

Or is it done one way or another now? Hard to keep up without knowing all the nuances.

54 minutes ago, tec said:

You can't really discount Labour or the Tories from those totals.

You can't, but it would be impossible to work out the exact contribution. Because neither party, or it's members and supporters, are clear on what they want exactly. Based on polling you'd expect the majority of Labour voters to be pro-remain and the majority of Tory voters to be pro-leave, but it's impossible to be certain how this would break down in this vote, given that lots of their regular voters definitely voted for other parties instead. It's likely the total would add a few % points to the remain side, but it's impossible to tell for sure, it would definitely add something to the pro-brexit total, but not enough to make up the gap between the other parties with a clear brexit policy.

55 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I don't really know about UK Euro politics.

How many votes does this have to go through before it's settled? Seems like this has been dragging on for years now.

Or is it done one way or another now? Hard to keep up without knowing all the nuances.

The problem is that Britain is a parliamentary democracy with no written constitution, and referendums have no special place in the law (unlike Ireland for example where any changes in law that would affect the constitutional order require legally binding referendums to settle the matter), the brexit referendum wasn't legally binding in any way, it just provided an abstract mandate for the government, with the consent of parliament, to try and bring about some form of leaving the EU. The referendum didn't specify what form that would take, and parliament is completely divided on that question (as are those who voted for brexit in the first place).

It doesn't require any more votes to go through as things stand, the UK will leave on the 31st October if nothing else happens. 

The current parliament is unlikely to let that happen though, the Tory party are likely to appoint a no-deal brexit supporting leader (e.g. Boris Johnson) in the coming month or so, if that happens and the EU refuse to negotiate any further (which is likely), then Tories who want to prevent a no-deal brexit will bring down the government. After that there will be a few weeks where parliament is given a chance to vote in a new prime minister, ideally this would happen and a 2nd referendum would be called to try and sort the mess out once and for all, if not then there would be a general election, after which a new parliament would have a chance to either prevent it from happening (with a referendum or just cancelling the whole thing), accepting the currently agreed deal with the EU, or doing nothing and crashing out and turning the UK into a basket case of a country.