Boris becoming PM seemed inevitable, unfortunately.

GE next, following the next Brexit failure, I guess.

But that won't yield us any certain results given the current political mixed bag of nuts that we have and the shitshows from the Tory oppositions.

Hmmm.

• Farnsworth 1

The most certain result, at this point .. still ... is that it's a giant nothingburger. No deal Brexit will be some sort of nuclear explosion. Not going to happen. So nothing will happen. As another deal will always be worse than what the UK currently has. It's a giant piece of FU.

• Thanks 2

^

yep agreed

So England's got their own Trumpesque leader (although arguably more educated and shrewd of a politician than The Angry Carrot will ever be)...

Hopefully Boris the Giant White Carrot will have the balls to call it quits on this Brexit nonsense. He's might just be the perfect nutcase to do so, btw.

1 hour ago, BCM said:

unfortunately runaway global warming due to melting of the permafrost and release of massive amounts of methane is extremely likely to happen. it will be catastrophic and humanity will be lucky to survive in even a basic way. this is why i'm not having kids. truly... we're fucked. totally fucked. and not in a thousand years or some shit, in less than 100, probably less than 50.

we all know it. deep down we all know it.

isn't it wiser to go full egoist and guarantee your own survival? just in a hypothetical sense 

5 minutes ago, goDel said:

Hopefully Boris the Giant White Carrot will have the balls to call it quits on this Brexit nonsense. He's might just be the perfect nutcase to do so, btw.

Not likely - his speech to Parliament basically doubled down on leaving by 31 October "do or die" 

You're probably right. But this is politics. Yesterday's "No, not over my dead body!" is tomorrow's "Yeah, let's do that! It's the only viable option!". Whatever Boris says, it hasn't much to do with his personal opinion. It's all about political power. Behind the scenes, he has to deal with a sizeable amount of hard Brexiteers. My take, in order to be able to flip his position, he has to show the Brexiteers he was on their side and did everything necessary, but lost because of some reality. The Brexiteers will need to accept a new reality at some point.

2 hours ago, BCM said:

unfortunately runaway global warming due to melting of the permafrost and release of massive amounts of methane is extremely likely to happen. it will be catastrophic and humanity will be lucky to survive in even a basic way. this is why i'm not having kids. truly... we're fucked. totally fucked. and not in a thousand years or some shit, in less than 100, probably less than 50.

we all know it. deep down we all know it.

it is crazy how the most likely scenario is really fuckin cool and out of an apocalyptic sci-fi film. god i hope i die before that happens

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, goDel said:

You're probably right. But this is politics. Yesterday's "No, not over my dead body!" is tomorrow's "Yeah, let's do that! It's the only viable option!". Whatever Boris says, it hasn't much to do with his personal opinion. It's all about political power. Behind the scenes, he has to deal with a sizeable amount of hard Brexiteers. My take, in order to be able to flip his position, he has to show the Brexiteers he was on their side and did everything necessary, but lost because of some reality. The Brexiteers will need to accept a new reality at some point.

Well Theresa May went down in flames trying to push that broken car down the road... so you might be right - Boris might be playing this to "save the UK" at the last minute by convincing the conservative party that Brexit isn't good for England (ya think?)...

Mr. UK will save the bloody nation

BJ_Olympics.jpg?fit=800,480&ssl=1

That picture does an amazing job of accurately summing up modern politics.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Well Theresa May went down in flames trying to push that broken car down the road... so you might be right - Boris might be playing this to "save the UK" at the last minute by convincing the conservative party that Brexit isn't good for England (ya think?)...

Luckily the voters made the decision for Brexit to pass, and it's finally going ahead now.. few hiccups on the way mind you (T-May)

Congrats to Mr. Johnson :catsalute:

tenor.gif

steve coogan shrug GIF

I have zero knowledge how a prime minister is elected. 

14 minutes ago, BCM said:

steve coogan shrug GIF

The Britishness in that shrug...

2 minutes ago, marf said:

I have zero knowledge how a prime minister is elected. 

In Boris' case he wasn't elected by the people per se - he was elected along party lines, no?

1 minute ago, Joyrex said:

In Boris' case he wasn't elected by the people per se - he was elected along party lines, no?

i think if there's a no confidence thing and the PM can't get it done the PM resigns and the party in power picks the new PM right? 

seems crazy but maybe it's better than being stuck w/someone for 4 years. 

18 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

he was elected PM by around 0.001% of the population

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ignatius said:

i think if there's a no confidence thing and the PM can't get it done the PM resigns and the party in power picks the new PM right? 

seems crazy but maybe it's better than being stuck w/someone for 4 years. 

No, if there's a vote of no confidence in the government, then the leader of the opposition is given a chance to form a government, or anyone else after that if they can't. they have two weeks to sort it out so that a majority of parliament will vote for someone, if not then there's a general election. so in theory there could be a temporary government of national unity type deal, e.g. with the sole purpose of legislating for a new referendum, after which there'd be a GE. all quite unlikely, but it's one of the few remaining ways out of this mess.

9 minutes ago, caze said:

he was elected PM by around 0.001% of the population

banana republic

Well, you'll get a real proper Brexit now

EAMHEmsVUAAogrY?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1