BCM

They should join the US with these levels of reality denial. Thinking the EU will steal all their codfish and therefore having to defend the fish with 80-metre-long armed vessels == satirical levels of paranoia.

I like buying good wine and cheese for very little €€€

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dingformung said:

They should join the US with these levels of reality denial. Thinking the EU will steal all their codfish and therefore having to defend the fish with 80-metre-long armed vessels == satirical levels of paranoia.

I like buying good wine and cheese for very little €€€

This isn't the first time mind you. In the Cod Wars from 1950s to 1970s the British Royal Navy was hilariously overpowered compared to Icelandic Coast Guard:

First Cod War (1958-1961):

• Icelandic Coast Guard: 2 large patrol vessels, 4 small patrol vessels
  • Royal Navy: 17 destroyers, 19 frigates, 1 fast minelayer, 1 minesweeper, 10 RFA supply vessels

Second Cod War (1972-1973):

• Icelandic Coast Guard: 3 large patrol vessels, 2 small patrol vessels, 1 armed whaler
  • Royal Navy: 30 frigates, 1 destroyer, 11 RFA supply vessels

Third Cod War (1975-1976):

• Icelandic Coast Guard: 4 large patrol vessels, 2 small patrol vessels, 2 armed trawlers
  • Royal Navy: 22 frigates, 7 RFA supply vessels

And Iceland won every time, lol. But of course not by direct battle because they weren't really "wars" in that sense. Iceland could use various leverages like threatening to leave NATO and expelling US troops.

Here's the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1

I don't really feel bad for them, though. It's still one of the richest first world countries and they'll do just fine. Let's not cry that they have less access to delicacy foods. Sure, it sucks for business owners who depend on the EU market, but they will still have a splendid life compared to people from most other places in the world.

Let's not forget that a lot of the Brexit movement was motivated by xenophobia and racism (mostly in context of the refugee waves).The referendum was close and xenophobia could well be the momentum that decided it in the end. They just didn't want more brown people in their country and were willing to sacrifice some of their life standard for that.

Fuck them I'd say.

It is a laughable incompetent cluster fuck where the rich convinced the "not so bright" to vote against their own interests in the name of glorifying a geographical coordinate.

I do laugh at it but I also live here so it is very very sad at the same time. I think the UK will re-join in one or two decades anyway. Glad to hold EU passport myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zlwwlz said:

It is a laughable incompetent cluster fuck where the rich convinced the "not so bright" to vote against their own interests in the name of glorifying a geographical coordinate.

I do laugh at it but I also live here so it is very very sad at the same time. I think the UK will re-join in one or two decades anyway. Glad to hold EU passport myself.

I give it a decade before England and Wales join our neighbours the Republic of Scotland and unified Ireland in the EU. We'll be forced to speak German, adopt the Euro and the French will guillotine the fuck out of all our royals. It will be mandated that ALL British jobs must be immediately surrendered to unskilled migrants and that we must pay 100 years of reparations to the EU for being cunts.

• Haha 1

The UK is such a fucking joke I can't wait for my degree to be over so I can fuck off indefinitely.

23 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

I give it a decade before England and Wales join our neighbours the Republic of Scotland and unified Ireland in the EU. We'll be forced to speak German, adopt the Euro and the French will guillotine the fuck out of all our royals. It will be mandated that ALL British jobs must be immediately surrendered to unskilled migrants and that we must pay 100 years of reparations to the EU for being cunts.

Sounds like you need your own show on LBC with this gammonry.

Edited by milkface

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

If the EU still exists then. Right now three world powers are simultaneously trying to destabilize it.

European state unions and empires have always been a bit of mess with internal struggle and constantly shifting borders, like the Holy Roman Empire and Kalmar Union, but sometimes they've lasted a few hundred years. EU is though probably the most ambitious project so far. Maybe with UK gone and not trying to sabotage the unification on every turn the rest of EU will last longer.

But I don't think it will dissolve instantly even if EU starts to fall apart. More like it's a gradual process, or even split into two.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

No more milk in tea as well. Worst of it all, they will force different color of UK passport upon thy with a great utmost and extreme vengeance !

ps. still made in Poland.

Even if this unrealistic scenario that Scotland becomes an independent sovereign state was reality, it would still take all EU members to agree to let it become part of the EU. And Spain would never support any separatist movement because their central government doesn't want to encourage their own separatists. They don't even recognise Kosovo while almost all other EU members do.

7 minutes ago, dingformung said:

And Spain would never support any separatist movement because their central government doesn't want to encourage their own separatists.

Not true, they're on record saying they're fine with it as long as the UK govt allows the independence referendum, something they won't allow with the Catalans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Even if this unrealistic scenario that Scotland becomes an independent sovereign state was reality, it would still take all EU members to agree to let it become part of the EU. And Spain would never support any separatist movement because their central government doesn't want to encourage their own separatists. They don't even recognise Kosovo while almost all other EU members do.

There’s one thing that Spain likes even more than screwing with Catalan independence, though: screwing with the UK. Something to do with Gibraltar, I believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

I didn't know that. Do you think it's realistic that Scotland might become independent in the mid-term future?

Yes, but the main sticking point at the moment is that Johnson won't allow another independence referendum, so if the SNP hold one it wouldn't be binding, and if they unilaterally declared independence after one it would be a mess (and they wouldn't get into the EU easily then either, due to the Spanish). After a few years of brexit Britain though I can't imagine the desire for independence doing anything but increasing. 

51 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

There’s one thing that Spain likes even more than screwing with Catalan independence, though: screwing with the UK. Something to do with Gibraltar, I believe.

yeah, the Spanish are capable of being very petty when it comes to Gibraltar, oddly enough though Gibraltar is one of the few issues where the UK is in the right, Spain has no legitimate claim there.

20 hours ago, milkface said:

The UK is such a fucking joke I can't wait for my degree to be over so I can fuck off indefinitely.

Sounds like you need your own show on LBC with this gammonry.

The difference is I'm pro all those things, especially the expedited guillotining of our royal family of parasitic nonces

• Like 1

I do not see any reason for people of Scotland to say "yes sire" and go with it whatever miserable future the Tories want for them.  I would not be surprised if they go with a referendum without getting the green light from any current or future iterations of the gammon king in London (sadly there might be a few of those in the coming years before some voters finally connect the dots).

yes i know... although the last time they didn't want to become spanish was during the franco era or something. makes sense. and it's true gibraltar has been a british colonial, imperial, military non-state for something like 300 years which longer than the US has been a country so they do have some claim. still a bit odd... kind of like how ceuta and melilla should be part of morocco...

The last time they officially didn't want to be Spanish was in 2002, when there was a referendum, and around 99% of them voted to remain British.

...a similar margin voted against Brexit too, they're going to be totally screwed if there's a no deal.