Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The timing with the pandemic, EU budget disputes and changing US presidency is just perfect. At least Hungary and Poland finally lifted objections to the rule of law requirements so the budget can progress and that doesn't take all the time and maybe there are more resources to focus on the Brexit also. But during the EU summit this week they had only 10 minutes to address the Brexit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-11/johnson-s-appeal-for-brexit-help-frustrated-by-summit-deadlock

Quote

The meeting of the EU’s 27 government chiefs in Brussels went through the night as they tussled over tough new climate targets. Leaders, including those crucial to the U.K. talks, like German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron, were scheduled to be briefed on the EU’s future relationship with the U.K. over dinner but it ended up only happening for less that 10 minutes at 8:30 a.m., after a grueling night.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

except for the fact that it’s basically in Spain

Bwah hah hah hah ‘We want you back’ - Boris Johnson urges EU workers to return to UK to help the economy https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/boris-johnson-wants-eu-workers-to-return

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

 

It was inevitable that the negotiations would go down to the last minute.  Even without COVID this would have happened as the EU do not want us to leave with a favourable deal lest others wish to follow us

 

:facepalm:
 

You owe us a shit ton of money, our fishermen depend on being able to fish in your waters (as yours do on being able to fish in ours) and one of our members needs part of your border to stay open to avoid civil war.

The fact that you will not be able to trade with us unless you harmonize your laws, the way Switzerland and Norway do, isn’t even the biggest problem. In fact, that mostly affects you guys, not us.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They should join the US with these levels of reality denial. Thinking the EU will steal all their codfish and therefore having to defend the fish with 80-metre-long armed vessels == satirical levels of paranoia.

I like buying good wine and cheese for very little €€€

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dingformung said:

They should join the US with these levels of reality denial. Thinking the EU will steal all their codfish and therefore having to defend the fish with 80-metre-long armed vessels == satirical levels of paranoia.

I like buying good wine and cheese for very little €€€

This isn't the first time mind you. In the Cod Wars from 1950s to 1970s the British Royal Navy was hilariously overpowered compared to Icelandic Coast Guard:

First Cod War (1958-1961):

  • Icelandic Coast Guard: 2 large patrol vessels, 4 small patrol vessels
  • Royal Navy: 17 destroyers, 19 frigates, 1 fast minelayer, 1 minesweeper, 10 RFA supply vessels

Second Cod War (1972-1973):

  • Icelandic Coast Guard: 3 large patrol vessels, 2 small patrol vessels, 1 armed whaler
  • Royal Navy: 30 frigates, 1 destroyer, 11 RFA supply vessels

Third Cod War (1975-1976):

  • Icelandic Coast Guard: 4 large patrol vessels, 2 small patrol vessels, 2 armed trawlers
  • Royal Navy: 22 frigates, 7 RFA supply vessels

And Iceland won every time, lol. But of course not by direct battle because they weren't really "wars" in that sense. Iceland could use various leverages like threatening to leave NATO and expelling US troops.

Here's the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really feel bad for them, though. It's still one of the richest first world countries and they'll do just fine. Let's not cry that they have less access to delicacy foods. Sure, it sucks for business owners who depend on the EU market, but they will still have a splendid life compared to people from most other places in the world.

Let's not forget that a lot of the Brexit movement was motivated by xenophobia and racism (mostly in context of the refugee waves).The referendum was close and xenophobia could well be the momentum that decided it in the end. They just didn't want more brown people in their country and were willing to sacrifice some of their life standard for that.

Fuck them I'd say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a laughable incompetent cluster fuck where the rich convinced the "not so bright" to vote against their own interests in the name of glorifying a geographical coordinate.

I do laugh at it but I also live here so it is very very sad at the same time. I think the UK will re-join in one or two decades anyway. Glad to hold EU passport myself.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, zlwwlz said:

I think the UK will re-join in one or two decades anyway. Glad to hold EU passport myself.

 

If the EU still exists then. Right now three world powers are simultaneously trying to destabilize it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure damn hope it does as it is the best thing that happened to Europe thus far.

I propose re-education camps for the religious and the nationalists ? Social groups within that are easily to manipulate from the outside as their core principles are founded in faith, not reason.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zlwwlz said:

It is a laughable incompetent cluster fuck where the rich convinced the "not so bright" to vote against their own interests in the name of glorifying a geographical coordinate.

I do laugh at it but I also live here so it is very very sad at the same time. I think the UK will re-join in one or two decades anyway. Glad to hold EU passport myself.

 

I give it a decade before England and Wales join our neighbours the Republic of Scotland and unified Ireland in the EU. We'll be forced to speak German, adopt the Euro and the French will guillotine the fuck out of all our royals. It will be mandated that ALL British jobs must be immediately surrendered to unskilled migrants and that we must pay 100 years of reparations to the EU for being cunts.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The UK is such a fucking joke I can't wait for my degree to be over so I can fuck off indefinitely.

23 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

I give it a decade before England and Wales join our neighbours the Republic of Scotland and unified Ireland in the EU. We'll be forced to speak German, adopt the Euro and the French will guillotine the fuck out of all our royals. It will be mandated that ALL British jobs must be immediately surrendered to unskilled migrants and that we must pay 100 years of reparations to the EU for being cunts.

Sounds like you need your own show on LBC with this gammonry.

Edited by milkface
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dingformung said:

If the EU still exists then. Right now three world powers are simultaneously trying to destabilize it.

European state unions and empires have always been a bit of mess with internal struggle and constantly shifting borders, like the Holy Roman Empire and Kalmar Union, but sometimes they've lasted a few hundred years. EU is though probably the most ambitious project so far. Maybe with UK gone and not trying to sabotage the unification on every turn the rest of EU will last longer.

But I don't think it will dissolve instantly even if EU starts to fall apart. More like it's a gradual process, or even split into two.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

I give it a decade before England and Wales join our neighbours the Republic of Scotland and unified Ireland in the EU. We'll be forced to speak German, adopt the Euro and the French will guillotine the fuck out of all our royals. It will be mandated that ALL British jobs must be immediately surrendered to unskilled migrants and that we must pay 100 years of reparations to the EU for being cunts.

No more milk in tea as well. Worst of it all, they will force different color of UK passport upon thy with a great utmost and extreme vengeance !

ps. still made in Poland.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if this unrealistic scenario that Scotland becomes an independent sovereign state was reality, it would still take all EU members to agree to let it become part of the EU. And Spain would never support any separatist movement because their central government doesn't want to encourage their own separatists. They don't even recognise Kosovo while almost all other EU members do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dingformung said:

And Spain would never support any separatist movement because their central government doesn't want to encourage their own separatists.

Not true, they're on record saying they're fine with it as long as the UK govt allows the independence referendum, something they won't allow with the Catalans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Even if this unrealistic scenario that Scotland becomes an independent sovereign state was reality, it would still take all EU members to agree to let it become part of the EU. And Spain would never support any separatist movement because their central government doesn't want to encourage their own separatists. They don't even recognise Kosovo while almost all other EU members do.

There’s one thing that Spain likes even more than screwing with Catalan independence, though: screwing with the UK. Something to do with Gibraltar, I believe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dingformung said:

I didn't know that. Do you think it's realistic that Scotland might become independent in the mid-term future?

Yes, but the main sticking point at the moment is that Johnson won't allow another independence referendum, so if the SNP hold one it wouldn't be binding, and if they unilaterally declared independence after one it would be a mess (and they wouldn't get into the EU easily then either, due to the Spanish). After a few years of brexit Britain though I can't imagine the desire for independence doing anything but increasing. 

51 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

There’s one thing that Spain likes even more than screwing with Catalan independence, though: screwing with the UK. Something to do with Gibraltar, I believe.

yeah, the Spanish are capable of being very petty when it comes to Gibraltar, oddly enough though Gibraltar is one of the few issues where the UK is in the right, Spain has no legitimate claim there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, milkface said:

The UK is such a fucking joke I can't wait for my degree to be over so I can fuck off indefinitely.

Sounds like you need your own show on LBC with this gammonry.

The difference is I'm pro all those things, especially the expedited guillotining of our royal family of parasitic nonces

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not see any reason for people of Scotland to say "yes sire" and go with it whatever miserable future the Tories want for them.  I would not be surprised if they go with a referendum without getting the green light from any current or future iterations of the gammon king in London (sadly there might be a few of those in the coming years before some voters finally connect the dots).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...