IGNORED

Sampling off Youtube

digitaltsunami

lol fucking hell this thread really took a dive

my latest 0F release is largely made from pop music samples and nobody has even noticed yet, even the part that is very clearly a rihanna vocal lol

not to mention the teledildonix EP which is about 50% plunderphonics/very clear sample/track rips with stuff over the top. it's fun, you should try it sometime

Is it, though? Here is a hot take: It's being measured in commercial success, not artistically,  to people who don't know any better and are being shown a messed up rhetoric, bordering on dishonest, of what an artist is and should strive to be. One could say L. Ron Hubbard's "invention" of the E-Meter and stealing a bunch of Freud's ideas of catharsis through reliving horrible traumatic experiences into a cult is creativity, with his followers saying he has profound insight and is a gifted and wonderful man, where he is merely stealing other people's ideas and making a pseudoscience word salad to feed his narcissicm and bank account. Or a more recent example is Jordan Peterson remixing a ton of outdated, disproven concepts of Jung, Dostoevsky and Nietzsche and finding a disenfranchised audience who, again, don't know any better and hear on the surface something that feels like it resonates with them and they claim that it is brilliant and is artistic. Yet when challenged on it, not one of them can make a positive, active assertion to the contrary because "you don't get it" or "you don't understand what he is trying to do or say" and it becomes almost an argument of faith.

Just like what your argument is supposing.

Burial is a thief.

The world isn't fair anyway. PR companies twist winners out of losers all the time. Talking about how sampling/music/anything creative "should" be done is a futile argument over taste. You can make the most autistic and unique bleep bloop sound design and I will probably think it's terrible because it does not fit my taste, even though it was made By The Rules. If it's not samples, it's digital or analog, solid state or tube, played live or sequenced, store bought drums or goat farm.

In the end it's all 24 bits at 44,1k samples per second and what matters is if the sound that comes out moves the soul of the listener instead of just the speaker membranes.

Artists who make it big are mostly the lucky ones anyway. Some small part of the lucky ones are also really talented and deserve it.

The argument sounds to me sort of like it's really easy to make good stuff with Elektron devices so now the stakes are higher, everyone now also has to either push their Octatrack beyond Colundi, otherwise by definition their stuff sucks and they're lazy.

I also wonder how this thread feels about Marcel Duchamp's Fountain. :)

Archived