IGNORED

How Do You Come Up With Track Titles?

dingformung

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to not put much time into track titles, but lately I feel like having a relevant title does add a bit to the enjoyment of the actual piece.  So, what I do now is listen to the song, try to get a mental picture or a sense of the emotions / feeling of the track and then go from there.  I like it when Aphex does stuff like providing gear information in the title, so we can get a sense of what he used to make the piece (like the GX1 Solo Tuss track).

I have great difficulty recently, which is why some of my releases are just various unicode characters arranged in patterns.

Sometimes a particular sound will stand out in that track, and I'll name the track as an onomatopoeia for it, or a track will have a certain texture associated with it.. of course though, I obscure things further by editing the words a bit, an Autechre-ripoff technique I can't help but use.

Other times, I just use botechre for inspiration lol.

I have a list of names of stuff I've come up with over the years and I tend to pluck one out that seems to fit what I'm trying to achieve.

Usually random combinations of words or nature stuff or things ive seen

E.g.

Sphagnum Bog Moss

Usually there's some word or emotion in my head that can easily become a song title, but with weeklybeats I just started taking the date as shown in macos on the top right (i.e. "sun 12 dec") or something. Has a good IDM vibe too if you think "sun" refers to the sun.

sometimes i pinch words from books im reading, or il just have  sets of words i like the look of pop up in my head while im out and about and write them down in my phone. 

patch names+random fuzzy thoughts. also asking friends for names and fucking around with the words.

it's like naming a child except you can call it bleurop because it sounds like a fart and isn't gonna get bullied for it too much  :lol:  :rolleyes:

Archived