IGNORED

How Do You Come Up With Track Titles?

dingformung

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read Wikipedia a lot, there's lots of cool word combinations and words sometimes. So for instance I was reading up on the Lyme disease the other day (for no particular reason...) and it is caused by the ticks from the Ixodes genus. Nice word. Pair it with some IDM bullshit like Ixodes -INIT .osc (take 6) and you got it. Just don't forget to write them down somewhere.

Also this is a cool track name source. Check "Badlands Guardian" for instance. What a title. 

I come up with something quick and on the fly that is usually somehow organizational, with the intent of coming up with something better and profound later... which mostly never happens.

I write them down when I think of or read something that pleases me. I've got hundreds of them. 80% of the time when I make a track I look through them until I find something that fits. The other 20% of the time something will occur to me as I make the track, or I start with a title in mind and attempt to make a track that fits with it.

I came up with the track title

'What if I told you that the World you know is just an illusion, that none of this is Real - morpheus'

Decades ago in 1999

https://soundcloud.com/archiediatomsnovak/what-if-i-told-you-that-the-world-you-know-is-just-an-illusion-that-none-of-this-is-real-morpheus

Use your Memories for track titles:)

every time I make a track it consumes a memory, like in the no end house. diatoms, what do i do when i have more tracks than memories?

I normally write a track knowing what alias or album it will belong to, which narrows down the possibilities quite a bit. When it's time to name that babby, I'll listen through it again, then rest in the neutrality of silence and replay the song in my head. Associations abound, the heart of the song makes itself known to me through the parts that fade out in my memory, and soon enough, the track gets a title.

anagrams of words, usually based on synths/sfx I've used.

Anagrams are great. I use them as well.

My artist name is actually an anagram.

Also a great idea. My father was hunted by wolves in Barron Canyon a few winters ago. After reading the story he had published about it I made a song called "The Wolves of Barron Canyon". Fits great.

• 2 weeks later...

With great difficulty.  I definitely... don't have a method.  It's often a pair of words that conjures some kind of surreal imagery, now that I think of it.  Or sometimes it's something kind of dumb/amusing/insidejoke-y.  I try to avoid titles that are likely covered by several already existing tracks, but without resorting to made-up words, or really compleicated number/tech jargon arrays that are impossible to remember (really bothers me that I can never remember a single Aphex track title post-Windowlicker... with a few exceptions).  Yeah.  It's hard.

The thing about instrumental music is that tracks don't usually have any purpose or meaning to transmit due to lack of lyrics so track titles end up being useless anyway. I prefer when artists are just straight up and name their tracks after dates and bpm's or just untitled. No need to pretend they're anything more imo.

In the past I'd rely in Latin-esque pseudo-scientific nomenclature for my track names. But I haven't done anything substantial musically in the last couple of years.

The thing about instrumental music is that tracks don't usually have any purpose or meaning to transmit due to lack of lyrics so track titles end up being useless anyway. I prefer when artists are just straight up and name their tracks after dates and bpm's or just untitled. No need to pretend they're anything more imo.

this seems like a very dim view of instrumental music.

I came up with the track title

'What if I told you that the World you know is just an illusion, that none of this is Real - morpheus'

Decades ago in 1999

https://soundcloud.com/archiediatomsnovak/what-if-i-told-you-that-the-world-you-know-is-just-an-illusion-that-none-of-this-is-real-morpheus

i member when you posted this like at least 3 times already

Archived