IGNORED

SND/Mark Fell thread

hello spiral

Huge fan. Massive gamechanger for me. Sensate Focus, SND, all the Mark Fell solo stuff, it's all great. 

I'm still trying to start a massive social media riot to out Boiler Room as a cowardice exploitative (they don't pay artists) censorship group because they denied the existence of a liveshow Mark Fell did with Russell Haswell, NHK'Koyxen and someone else (can't recall atm). I've contacted them a bunch of times through different channels and the only thing they ever replied to me about it was "Mark didn't do a set that night".

Needless to say, I (and some other chatmmers) saw the entire gig live on the stream as it happened. Mark Fell was leaning against a wall looking extremely bored like always, chewing gum and making bubbles with it while playing the most stupid corny 80's dance tracks pre-mixed in something like Audacity. One track I recall was just in the left channel, the next one in the right channel, etc. Obvious statement against current DJ culture / Boiler Room world. It was the most punk thing I've seen in ages.

I decided to email Mark Fell about it some years ago and this was his reply:

hi
I definitely did "DJ" that evening. I think they just got quite upset because it didn't fit their agenda. I'm not sure if the footage still exists but I don't have a copy 
thanks for your email and reminding me of this :)
mark 

The weird thing is, the SND Boiler Room set IOS posted in the previous page is probably my favourite SND/Fell thing I've heard - It's really nicely progressive and just ... groovy !

The weird thing is, the SND Boiler Room set IOS posted in the previous page is probably my favourite SND/Fell thing I've heard - It's really nicely progressive and just ... groovy !

No, the weird thing is the comment section of that video and how Boiler Room ignores my (nice) inquiries

eaDUsEK.png

But yeah, that liveset is incredible. Played it to death :)

Huge fan. Massive gamechanger for me. Sensate Focus, SND, all the Mark Fell solo stuff, it's all great. 

I'm still trying to start a massive social media riot to out Boiler Room as a cowardice exploitative (they don't pay artists) censorship group because they denied the existence of a liveshow Mark Fell did with Russell Haswell, NHK'Koyxen and someone else (can't recall atm). I've contacted them a bunch of times through different channels and the only thing they ever replied to me about it was "Mark didn't do a set that night".

Needless to say, I (and some other chatmmers) saw the entire gig live on the stream as it happened. Mark Fell was leaning against a wall looking extremely bored like always, chewing gum and making bubbles with it while playing the most stupid corny 80's dance tracks pre-mixed in something like Audacity. One track I recall was just in the left channel, the next one in the right channel, etc. Obvious statement against current DJ culture / Boiler Room world. It was the most punk thing I've seen in ages.

hi
I definitely did "DJ" that evening. I think they just got quite upset because it didn't fit their agenda. I'm not sure if the footage still exists but I don't have a copy 
thanks for your email and reminding me of this :)
mark 

ahaha so great. luv u, mark   :cisfor:

Atavism remains my fav snd/fell release

yeah this, huge inspiration for my 0F stuff even when it isn't obvious. Atavism single handedly made me pay more attention to sound design in general.

I really admire SND/Fell's discipline/dedication to a very specific sound. I find it impressive that they can focus so much, it's such pure minimalism. Even to the point where I almost can't tell the difference between their first albums; they're like "planes" (or plains?) of ambience and micro percussion that kinda blend into each other. That sounds like criticism, but it really isn't. Perhaps though, I just haven't listened to them as much as I should (preferring Atavism most of the time)..

also lol, just tried looking them up on spotify:

Y19aZPu.png

Atavism remains my fav snd/fell release

yeah this, huge inspiration for my 0F stuff even when it isn't obvious. Atavism single handedly made me pay more attention to sound design in general.

I really admire SND/Fell's discipline/dedication to a very specific sound. I find it impressive that they can focus so much, it's such pure minimalism. Even to the point where I almost can't tell the difference between their first albums; they're like "planes" (or plains?) of ambience and micro percussion that kinda blend into each other. That sounds like criticism, but it really isn't. Perhaps though, I just haven't listened to them as much as I should (preferring Atavism most of the time)..

also lol, just tried looking them up on spotify:

Y19aZPu.png

Bocelli appreciation thread, pls.

• 4 weeks later...

The live vid I uploaded got taken down yesterday (and I got a fucking copyright strike) so I guess that means it's being released? afaik none of his other live vids have been taken down.

This looks pretty cool, will def give it a go

http://www.fpg.org.uk/exhibition/mark-fell/

Bit hot and cold on the Dj Sprinkles collabs, hot on this one for sure though

Only video I can find of it and the lame cocktail party house Dj mixes out of it halfway thru. Sweet :(

Their ep with "Complete Spiral" on (synchronicity?), off this, is one of my favourite tracks in recent memory:

https://www.discogs.com/DJ-Sprinkles-Mark-Fell-Complete-Spiral-EP/release/3611534

Fell did a project with an anthropologist, called "Dawn of Man", charting his personal musical evolutiion through 6 mixes of the tunes that influenced him, wicked fun & spans all genres, you kinda see/hear how SND evolved out of these foundations

http://www.markfell.com/wiki/index.php?n=Mf.DawnOfMan

Edited by cwmbrancity
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 11:00 PM, cwmbrancity said:

Fell did a project with an anthropologist, called "Dawn of Man", charting his personal musical evolutiion through 6 mixes of the tunes that influenced him, wicked fun & spans all genres, you kinda see/hear how SND evolved out of these foundations

http://www.markfell.com/wiki/index.php?n=Mf.DawnOfMan

I did not see this. Super interesting!

On 12/18/2018 at 6:51 PM, Herr Jan said:

hi
thanks for your email and reminding me of this ?
mark 

oh man i really want to see this.

thanks for the sentielle and sprinkles collab recs. great stuff

in other news i can't really figure out WHEN to play albums like multistability and UL8. they're in this weird purgatory between calm and stress that i haven't found a place for. the SND releases are generally clearer to me.

also:

image.png.a76e7c64107f0009e8fbc9b6961e9ec5.png

Edited by splbt
merged replies screwed up formatting