IGNORED

When do you think your music is ready for vinyl?

TheBro

I'm asking the question in general but also curious about what you think in regards to whether anything I've done could be ready for vinyl. Would love to put something out but am not confident. Constructive thoughts welcome. Thanks.

For my own music: never. I get sick of my own music super quickly, so waiting around for it to be pressed would be pain.

I've had a couple of things released on vinyl though, one was a split with a friend, 20 copies lathe cut; the other was a 2xLP compilation limited to 100 copies (I think!). It's fun but unless you go for lathe cut (which is expensive, at least $20 per copy) you're going to have to get a lot pressed for it to be economical.. and then you'll have them sitting around in your house taking up room unless you're reasonably popular or make a deal with a label/distributor. I still have copies of some of my CD releases dating back to 2005, that I never sold and have since made better music..

For my own music: never. I get sick of my own music super quickly, so waiting around for it to be pressed would be pain.

I've had a couple of things released on vinyl though, one was a split with a friend, 20 copies lathe cut; the other was a 2xLP compilation limited to 100 copies (I think!). It's fun but unless you go for lathe cut (which is expensive, at least $20 per copy) you're going to have to get a lot pressed for it to be economical.. and then you'll have them sitting around in your house taking up room unless you're reasonably popular or make a deal with a label/distributor. I still have copies of some of my CD releases dating back to 2005, that I never sold and have since made better music..

I remember your Pselodux music - that was ace mate!

simple answer is when someone who runs a label agrees to put your stuff out on vinyl. it's worth shopping around a demo of 4-5 of your dance-friendliest tracks. just send it around soundcloud to artists and labels you like. send via twitter too. even if you don't get any bites you will inevitably find a bunch of new music you like.

I think I'm going to try a crowd funder split EP sort of thing. Need to get a vibe for what tune I should put on it though!!!

When your mom says what lovely songs you make.

But seriously though, maybe when people start asking if the music will be available on vinyl?

For me it was when someone with a label reached out and asked me.

A crowd-funded thing might be a way to do it but I think could be a double edged sword and you might leave yourself open to disappointment. If you're not confident in the first place then might be a bad idea...

Didn't you already try to crowdfund a vinyl release?

I swear you tried this exact same or very similar thing some years ago...

Nah never even attempted it lol. Crowd funding vinyl services have only come about in the last year or two really so yeah not even possible beforehand.

To answer the original question.

Music would probably be ready for vinyl when digital sales are high enough for one to justify the costs associated with pressing + distributing. If one isn't selling many digital copies of their music I don't see why it would make sense to go physical. Seems like a pointless risk. edit: maybe not pointless, but it's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

:shrug:

Hey guys, have you heard of this brand new crowdfunding site called Kickstarter?

It’s only been around for the last year, so I’m sure you never heard of it.

Wow a lot of hate on this forum. Very sad and tedious. We're supposed to be supporting each other right? There are crowd funding sites specifically for vinyl that's what I'm referring to.

Hey guys, have you heard of this brand new crowdfunding site called Kickstarter?

It’s only been around for the last year, so I’m sure you never heard of it.

Wow a lot of hate on this forum. Very sad and tedious. We're supposed to be supporting each other right? There are crowd funding sites specifically for vinyl that's what I'm referring to.

Poor attempt at humour, very likely.

Hate, definitely not.

To make a serious and constructive comment though - I 100% agree with BCM - unless a label is outright asking you, it’s not worth the risk in my opinion.

I'm gonna do it with a bunch of other folks so it'll hopefully be just like 100 pressing so basically like a 4 track split ep.

This is a decent idea. You may still struggle to sell 100 though! The split 12" I did with a friend only just sold out (well, I still have my copy) this year.. we made 20 copies in 2012 :P

It's relatively affordable to get a small run done these days, but like modey said, it's about distribution. Do you play live shows a lot? Even if you do, you'll have to get people to buy it or you'll have to be willing to lose money on it and give it out. Or get on a label.

Archived