IGNORED

When do you think your music is ready for vinyl?

TheBro

I think it's totally fair to put out your music on vinyl if you believe it is good and you want to have something to sell at lives. My background is mostly psychedelic rock so that scene is really into vinyl too of course, but I think the point still stands. Vinyl as a medium does not degrade as fast as CDs so you get to sell a physical thing with a really nice design (and also download codes) which does not end up costing much (I have seen 15€ which is a fair price really).

It's true that the box might end up sitting in the corner of your room for years and years to come, but that's just what it is - a long investment. As long as you play out or release new stuff regularly there will be people interested in your old things. A box of dusty CDs sitting in the corner is a much much sadder sight.

There is also the "magic" element that some vinyl bugs will probably be inclined to buy your stuff just because it is on vinyl, because who the hell would spend lots of €€€ on pressing something that is shit, right? The answer to this is of course "lots of people", but as long as the charm lasts, it's probably possible to bank on it a little.

In general I think the hard and fast rule is that you should try out vinyl if you hang out with vinylheads and regularly play out so you have a merch stand to sell the stuff. In my experience it's the human contact element - either at lives, vinyl markets, just hang out with community - that will get you the potential buyers when you press a vinyl if you are not very well known. Being in touch with the scene is probably also a good way to gauge how much (and what) people actually buy and if there is saturation or not. I guess it is also a sort of a lifestyle choice.

Yeah merch stands at gigs are really where vinyl shines, at least in my experience. Especially if you also have nice artwork (which is also expensive!). And especially in a scene where vinyl is rare but appreciated. At chip gigs it's always a spectacle, and people (including myself) always go "ooh" when they see vinyl at the merch table.

More people should be releasing music in 2019. There isn't enough music out there, especially music in the physical formats. When you feel as if you have something (useful) to say, something that the people need to hear... that's when you should release music on vinyl (specifically) - because the musical landscape is quite barren. The only solution is to put out more music--because it's what we need (more than ever), right now

but also curious about what you think in regards to whether anything I've done could be ready for vinyl.

Yes, very ready. Anything you would press to vinyl I would buy and give away for free. 

If you reckon you can sell enough copies to break even then do it. Or be ready to take a hit.

I generally take a hit on my zine and that's just pieces of paper and postage.

I would want to be very confident that I could flog copies before investing (or find a label willing to take the punt)

Yeah, last I checked it was at least $1200-$1500 and that was if you got the sleeves shipped to you separately and put the records in yourself.

The way the price breaks worked, a run of 300 or less cost about the same as a run of 1000.

So basically it was really expensive, but tht wa a while ago.

Archived