Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Aphex Twin At Limelight NYC 1991 or 1992

Live performance Limelight NYC 1991 1992

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,322 posts
  • 1,773 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:06 AM

Lofidelic Records on SoundCloud posted this live recording of Aphex Twin at Limelight NYC from 1991 or 1992:

Back in the early 1990s when techno was just starting to explode in NYC, I snuck a portable DAT recorder into the Limelight nightclub when Richard James, The Aphex Twin was DJing a very rare live set. I recorded his entire 1hr set from the crowd and then put the DAT away for 25+ years. The other day with the help of my friend Tony Rodriquez and his DAT machine, we finally made a digital copy of the set and finally uploaded it for all to hear. As far as I can remember, RDJ did only 2 live performances and 1 DJ set at the Limelight during that time. I have never heard a live set from RDJ from the Limelight so this might be the only recording of this set (please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks!) The recording is loud and noisy just like 90s techno but I think its clear enough to enjoy. If you can ID any tracks to create a track list, feel free to post it in the comments! Enjoy -Lofidelic Records

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#2 donquixote

donquixote

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 31-May 18

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

Saw someone chatting about this the other day. Their stance was it would be more like 94 based on tracks like "preacher man" and whichever Dave Clarke "red X" was on there. Ain't followed it through myself yet though..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#3 paranerd

paranerd

1000 Club

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • 43 topics
  • Joined 28-May 13
  • Interests:Braindance
    Audio Post-Production

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:13 AM

Unfortunately it sounds terrible.

#4 DJ Latte

DJ Latte

Recently Joined

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 28-January 17
  • Location:Sticking out of the bottom-left side of ur Hearts....

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:02 AM

Nice!! Great! Realy happy to hear this!
✨👂🏻✨
Tnx!made my morning!(:

#5 tudikaswayne

tudikaswayne

• Members Plus
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 17-December 16

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:33 AM

tite!

#6 bunyip

bunyip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 23-May 10

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

Many of those tracks from a wide range of people were only available in 1993. Probably  part of the N.A.S.A. tour of 13 shows the final one was November 19th 1993.

#7 diatoms

diatoms

Acid Rave - june 4 2017 Acid Rave flashback - sept 14 2018

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 10-April 14
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/archiediatomsnovak/what-if-i-told-you-that-the-world-you-know-is-just-an-illusion-that-none-of-this-is-real-morpheus

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:19 PM

tite!

:)

#8 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,322 posts
  • 1,773 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

Many of those tracks from a wide range of people were only available in 1993. Probably  part of the N.A.S.A. tour of 13 shows the final one was November 19th 1993.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does sound very similar to the NASA sets...

#9 B1000

B1000

Lead Steinvord Investigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • 8 topics
  • Joined 29-November 09

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Lofidelic Records on SoundCloud posted this live recording of Aphex Twin at Limelight NYC from 1991 or 1992:

Back in the early 1990s when techno was just starting to explode in NYC, I snuck a portable DAT recorder into the Limelight nightclub when Richard James, The Aphex Twin was DJing a very rare live set. I recorded his entire 1hr set from the crowd and then put the DAT away for 25+ years. The other day with the help of my friend Tony Rodriquez and his DAT machine, we finally made a digital copy of the set and finally uploaded it for all to hear. As far as I can remember, RDJ did only 2 live performances and 1 DJ set at the Limelight during that time. I have never heard a live set from RDJ from the Limelight so this might be the only recording of this set (please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks!) The recording is loud and noisy just like 90s techno but I think its clear enough to enjoy. If you can ID any tracks to create a track list, feel free to post it in the comments! Enjoy -Lofidelic Records

Listen on Soundcloud.com

at 8:55 he plays an early version of the bradley stryder track 'ngaiModu' :music:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Live performance, Limelight, NYC, 1991, 1992