IGNORED

Aphex Twin At Limelight NYC 1991 or 1992

Joyrex

Lofidelic Records on SoundCloud posted this live recording of Aphex Twin at Limelight NYC from 1991 or 1992:

Back in the early 1990s when techno was just starting to explode in NYC, I snuck a portable DAT recorder into the Limelight nightclub when Richard James, The Aphex Twin was DJing a very rare live set. I recorded his entire 1hr set from the crowd and then put the DAT away for 25+ years. The other day with the help of my friend Tony Rodriquez and his DAT machine, we finally made a digital copy of the set and finally uploaded it for all to hear. As far as I can remember, RDJ did only 2 live performances and 1 DJ set at the Limelight during that time. I have never heard a live set from RDJ from the Limelight so this might be the only recording of this set (please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks!) The recording is loud and noisy just like 90s techno but I think its clear enough to enjoy. If you can ID any tracks to create a track list, feel free to post it in the comments! Enjoy -Lofidelic Records

Saw someone chatting about this the other day. Their stance was it would be more like 94 based on tracks like "preacher man" and whichever Dave Clarke "red X" was on there. Ain't followed it through myself yet though..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Many of those tracks from a wide range of people were only available in 1993. Probably  part of the N.A.S.A. tour of 13 shows the final one was November 19th 1993.

Many of those tracks from a wide range of people were only available in 1993. Probably  part of the N.A.S.A. tour of 13 shows the final one was November 19th 1993.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does sound very similar to the NASA sets...

• 2 weeks later...

Lofidelic Records on SoundCloud posted this live recording of Aphex Twin at Limelight NYC from 1991 or 1992:

Back in the early 1990s when techno was just starting to explode in NYC, I snuck a portable DAT recorder into the Limelight nightclub when Richard James, The Aphex Twin was DJing a very rare live set. I recorded his entire 1hr set from the crowd and then put the DAT away for 25+ years. The other day with the help of my friend Tony Rodriquez and his DAT machine, we finally made a digital copy of the set and finally uploaded it for all to hear. As far as I can remember, RDJ did only 2 live performances and 1 DJ set at the Limelight during that time. I have never heard a live set from RDJ from the Limelight so this might be the only recording of this set (please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks!) The recording is loud and noisy just like 90s techno but I think its clear enough to enjoy. If you can ID any tracks to create a track list, feel free to post it in the comments! Enjoy -Lofidelic Records

at 8:55 he plays an early version of the bradley stryder track 'ngaiModu' :music:

• 3 weeks later...

Someone should de-clip that recording. This took me about 10 secs and it sounds a whole lot better. The first part is the de-clipped version, and the second part after the beep is the recording from Soundcloud

Quality sounds pretty good to me...definitely listenable.  I'm going to say this is not 91' - 92' but more like 93 - 94 based on some of the track selections such as Wisdom to the Wise by Dave Clarke which was released in 1994, the Aphex remix of Mindstream from 93' among others. 

Someone should de-clip that recording. This took me about 10 secs and it sounds a whole lot better. The first part is the de-clipped version, and the second part after the beep is the recording from Soundcloud

That helps. I tried that and some other things, but I couldn't make it listenable for my tastes. I've become a mix snob in my 40s...

And... do you have this de-clipped recording perchance? :dadjoke:

I would have to record it all through Audiohijack and I'm not gonna sit through that. But if they put it up for download it'll only take a couple of seconds to make a better sounding version

Alternative for SC tracks without download is use soundscrape python script. Can get it at github or instaill it via pip

https://github.com/Miserlou/SoundScrape

Then you just run it with the URL you want to grab and it downloads an mp3

$ soundscrape https://soundcloud.com/phlite/aphex-twin-live-at-limelight-nyc-1991-or-1992
Downloading: Aphex Twin Live at Limelight NYC MID 1990s LOFIDELIC RECORDS
[################################] 59098/59098 - 00:00:05

Archived