IGNORED

Korg Volca Modular and Drum (real or fake?)

worms

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2018/12/namm-leaks-new-korg-volca-modular-volca.html

"And the first NAMM 2019 rumor is in. A new KORG Volca Modular "Micro Modular Synthesizer" & Volca Drum "Digital Percussion Synthesizer". Click the pics to explore. Note the mini patch points (ala Tinysizer) on the Volca Modular, and the display on the Volca Drum.

The Volca Modular appears to be a "West Coast" approach with a Woggle modulation source and 2 LPGs or Lowpass Gates.  An LPG is essentially the Buchla version of a Lowpass Filter.  There also appears to be some oscillator wave folding on the left.  Man, this is going to sell like hotcakes.  I want one now.   Digital drums on the Volca Drum with modulation does look interesting as well."

Volca-Modular.jpg47691244_299001167627925_506183797551398

So I guess the modular is like a poor man's 0-coast? I love the idea. I have a couple of those pin-patchbay synths and they're not horrible. It's a missed opportunity for a CV out, and patching with that on, like, the bus seems comical. But I'm glad they're doing it.

That drum one looks tasty though. I'd buy one just to ogle that lush display.

These look too slick to be volcas though yeah? The screens on the existing volcas are pretty basic and nothing like the ones featured, and the faceplates on these have more intricate artwork / aesthetics than the existing range?

I can see Korg doing a volca modular range tho

The panels are definitely fancier than average, but I don't think it's enough to bust the volca budget. The drum's display just looks like a custom segmented LCD (a la Microkorg XL) and the modular doesn't even have a display, not to mention a MIDI input. I wouldn't be shocked if they bumped the price a bit, but I doubt the manufacturing costs are significantly higher.

Oh look micro tuning I'm effex now.

Looks legit. If I was still making tunes I'd probably pick up the modular, it's cute.

• 1 year later...

Volca Drum is beyond dope.  Just watch the first 5 minutes to get an idea.  The guy goes into a lot of detail.  Great tutorials.

This video sold it to me (and the others in his series are well worth watching too).

Basically it can do way beyond what you think a conventional "cheap" drum machine is capable of.  Makes me want to buy a Kick again and synch them up.

Archived