IGNORED

Orbital 30

Pirtek

55 minutes ago, Jafs said:

That Belfast rework is a standout. Overall I think they did a good job on those.

Yes, definitely. I really like Smiley. And Acid Horse is growing on me!

Definitely a mixed bag. The two new tracks are great, I like all the new live-in-studio versions, and the Jon Hopkins, Lone, Joris Voorn and David Holmes remixes. The rest just feel like pretty generic club mixes, most of them not particularly veering from the original. When did remixing become so tame? Compare these with the mixes of 'Lush', the 'They Did It' mix of 'Are We Here?', the Schizoid Man and Way Out West mixes of 'Nothing Left', and they're just pointless. All those old versions took elements of the originals and made them into new tracks that could stand on their own. These new ones are just 'What if Chime but produced by a modern DJ?'

• Like 2

11 hours ago, purlieu said:

Definitely a mixed bag. The two new tracks are great, I like all the new live-in-studio versions, and the Jon Hopkins, Lone, Joris Voorn and David Holmes remixes. The rest just feel like pretty generic club mixes, most of them not particularly veering from the original. When did remixing become so tame? Compare these with the mixes of 'Lush', the 'They Did It' mix of 'Are We Here?', the Schizoid Man and Way Out West mixes of 'Nothing Left', and they're just pointless. All those old versions took elements of the originals and made them into new tracks that could stand on their own. These new ones are just 'What if Chime but produced by a modern DJ?'

Well there is definitely an element of lazy remixing at the moment.  Modern DJs wishing to use classics in their sets, but since the production sounds dated they just sprinkle some compression magic dust and beef up the kicks and call it job done.

EG

Urgghhh this video annoys me.  6 minutes of 2 people pretending to DJ whilst a track they produced plays out. 

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Facepalm 1

No idea on their logic for choice of remixers. There are much better these days that could do a so much better job.

But saying that, their remix tastes have always been all over the place. Sasha did a remix of Belfast years back, but got rejected by them for being too far removed from the original. Sasha later released it himself as 'Belfunk'.

The whole thing just smacks of the same old tracks with fatter beats for current times anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Somanymachines said:

No idea on their logic for choice of remixers. There are much better these days that could do a so much better job.

But saying that, their remix tastes have always been all over the place. Sasha did a remix of Belfast years back, but got rejected by them for being too far removed from the original. Sasha later released it himself as 'Belfunk'.

The whole thing just smacks of the same old tracks with fatter beats for current times anyway.

Belfunk is quality.  Might have to go listen to the whole XPander EP actually. 

Edit: Charlie May co produced, as he did with the Wavy Gravy album, which I also love. 

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Belfunk is quality.  Might have to go listen to the whole XPander EP actually. 

Edit: Charlie May co produced, as he did with the Wavy Gravy album, which I also love. 

airdrawndagger? will always have a soft spot for that album. 

• Like 1

Airdrawndagger is super underappreciated. Sasha was one of those mainstream trance producers that could actually back it up with dope tracks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Listened to Xpander EP a few days ago for the first time in aeons. Didn’t realise Belfunk was something to do with Orbital.

Love that EP!

18 hours ago, Extralife said:

Satan has not aged well.

I prefer Beelezedub

1 hour ago, purlieu said:

Just spotted that Smiley is basically a Paul solo track. Written, produced and mixed by him. What does Phil even do these days?

I don't think he's ever written a lot of material, it's since Wonky that has come to light.

Edited by Pirtek

10 minutes ago, Pirtek said:

I don't think he's ever written a lot of material, it's since Wonky that has come to light.

Yeah, I'm sure Wonky and the main Monsters Exist album all have production credits for Phil, though. Was just surprised that the lead single from this career-spanning anthology seems to not involve one of the two members at all.

15 minutes ago, purlieu said:

Yeah, I'm sure Wonky and the main Monsters Exist album all have production credits for Phil, though. Was just surprised that the lead single from this career-spanning anthology seems to not involve one of the two members at all.

Paul said once that the whole of the bonus disc for Monsters Exist was originally going to be the next 8:58 album. I have the original version of Hoo hoo Ha Ha (which is far better btw) was also a 8:58 track. Phil did have a lot more involvement in writing tracks like Monsters Exist, Tiny Foldable Cities, P.H.U.K and Vision onE.

I went to see Orbital on their In Sides tour at the Royal Albert Hall, it was my second ever gig (first being Sisters of Mercy at Brixton academy a few months before). It was a great night and a great crowd (me and my two buddies may of been the only ones not chemically altered heheh) but unfortunately for Orbital I was just a few months away from discovering Aphex, and when that happened I lost interest in them real fast. I revisited their records a few years ago and had the same feelings really. I’m glad they are still kicking about though and will Spotify Orbital 30 and think about that great evening in London all those years ago. 8th May 96.

C871395E-17B0-415E-A454-ABC2E521D35B.thumb.jpeg.e8ce714dcb96988b20954b8455f69a12.jpeg

• Like 2