IGNORED

Orbital 30

Pirtek

On 8/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, six said:

Airdrawndagger is super underappreciated. Sasha was one of those mainstream trance producers that could actually back it up with dope tracks.

i remember buying the cd almost 20 years ago and loving the ambient tracks. how did i became so old all of a sudden

Sasha is still today a top producer.

Edited by watmmisdead

On 8/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, purlieu said:

Yeah, I'm sure Wonky and the main Monsters Exist album all have production credits for Phil, though. Was just surprised that the lead single from this career-spanning anthology seems to not involve one of the two members at all.

Paul had a blog way back when and he talked in depth about making Belfast and some of the other tracks from the green album. It really did seem like he did all the main writing work and Phil was more a collaborator who would jump in and add stuff or make suggestions. 

Edit: I don’t want to downplay Phil’s role, even in the case of Belfast iirc the story was that Paul laid down the song and Phil came up with that perfect classical vocal sample so imo he added some real Magic to the tune

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

Paul had a blog way back when and he talked in depth about making Belfast and some of the other tracks from the green album. It really did seem like he did all the main writing work and Phil was more a collaborator who would jump in and add stuff or make suggestions. 

Yes, I remember that blog 

I don’t want to downplay Phil’s role, even in the case of Belfast iirc the story was that Paul laid down the song and Phil came up with that perfect classical vocal sample so imo he added some real Magic to the tune

Yes, true!

I actually never dug this one even back in the 90s. Chime, Belfast tho, those are timeless to me

Yeah never been a fan either - Seemed like Orbital trying to ape Prodigy (and the other punky-electronica combos that seemed to be a big thing in the mid 90s)

4 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Yeah never been a fan either - Seemed like Orbital trying to ape Prodigy (and the other punky-electronica combos that seemed to be a big thing in the mid 90s)

That seems a little unfair - it came out in January 1991!

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

I feel like they have long had this tendency to throw “hard” tracks on their albums (“tootled”, whatever the one on snivilization) that don’t work at all. They’re soft boys, sensitive lads, I don’t buy this. 

without any evidence at all I blame phil for these

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, purlieu said:

That seems a little unfair - it came out in January 1991!

Yikes, you're totally right - I'm a stoopid, ignore me in that case. I'd always assumed it was made when the release hit the charts with the 3 single release(s) (1996)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, purlieu said:

In defence of Phil's Hard Trax, I love 'Choice', 'Satan', 'PETROL', 'I Don't Know You People', 'Tootled', 'Tension' and 'Monsters Exist', so bums to you all.

I love all those tracks. P.E.T.R.O.L is my all time favourite track by any artists!

Sitting in the dead air heat and half light as the dusk outside fades to indigo ink, I decided to have a reconnaissance sprint through through this. Wise move.

Are We Here? (30 Something) really hit the spot. 

After enduring the latest Hudson Mowhawke album for its entire run time (again another reconnaissance mission) Are We Here? Sounded like pure elixir.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Sitting in the dead air heat and half light as the dusk outside fades to indigo ink, I decided to have a reconnaissance sprint through through this. Wise move.

Are We Here? (30 Something) really hit the spot. 

After enduring the latest Hudson Mowhawke album for its entire run time (again another reconnaissance mission) Are We Here? Sounded like pure elixir.

Relistened to the whole of the Are We Here ep and remixes the other day. Hit all the right buttons for me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Extralife said:

Relistened to the whole of the Are We Here ep and remixes the other day. Hit all the right buttons for me.

Yeah, great Ep. So is the Times Fly Ep from the year after.

For me, Orbital were at the height of their power with Snivilisation and In Sides. Amazing albums!

• Like 1

You've done a good job on this thread Pirtek. Certainly inspiring me to revisit Orbital. Gonna check out those EPs you mention as I definitely haven’t heard them. But the second I get in from work I’m straight out in the garden with a cold beer and Are We Here? (30 Something) is getting blasted. That hit the spot last night ? 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

You've done a good job on this thread Pirtek. Certainly inspiring me to revisit Orbital. Gonna check out those EPs you mention as I definitely haven’t heard them. But the second I get in from work I’m straight out in the garden with a cold beer and Are We Here? (30 Something) is getting blasted. That hit the spot last night ? 

No worries, glad to hear it! And that sounds like a plan! ??

Also, if you can, check out a track they did called Equinox. It's and early version of Times Fly (slow version) worth a listen.

• Thanks 2

On 8/13/2022 at 11:36 AM, Pirtek said:

No worries, glad to hear it! And that sounds like a plan! ??

Also, if you can, check out a track they did called Equinox. It's and early version of Times Fly (slow version) worth a listen.

I was today years old when I heard equinox. I thought I had every orbital released. Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 1

Just when I thought it was time to write off Orbital after the past few releases, this happens. These new tracks and reworks of the classics are very good. Was not at all expecting it to be this good.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:27 AM, Pirtek said:

For me, Orbital were at the height of their power with Snivilisation and In Sides. Amazing albums!

my favorite two albums from them, middle of nowhere is up there too. snivilisation is their best work, in my opinion. "are we here", no doubt my favorite Orbital track.

Edited by nature
  • Like 1