IGNORED

NAMM 2019 : The thread

d-a-m-o

I'd like something to replace both my mixer and audio interface.

Check the Tascam model 24

Wow that looks real nice, cheers!

Nice indeed, am looking for something similar as well. Does this one also allow you to send your daw's tracks to the different mixer channels? Any other good alternatives? I think the Behringer Xenyx mixers offer similar mixer/audio interface type solutions, but have yet to check out reviews. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a company make an affordable newer generation digital audio recorder. Envisioning something with "always-on" recording mode that you can press a button and save the last 30 minutes of buffered audio and trim it down and save it to a file or something like that. Also something that has rechargable battery instead of AA. Tascam and zoom have been making the same old shit for years.

I'd also like to see more in the sequencer space, I'd like to see elektron's take on a dedicated sequencer with advanced features. I wanna see a box with 3 modes (synth, sample, midi) and fuckloads of mature features taking the best from the octatrack, monomachine, etc. and making a new studio centerpiece. Alternatively I would love a battery powered elektron sequencer/sketchpad that I can take portable and come back and plug into the real hardware in my studio.

really though I don't care what is at namm. I love my setup and there's very little I would change at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

FM madness going on here

ppl on facebook are complaining a lot about the sound

i think korg need another aphex demo to show how it should be done

I don't understand how anyone can complain about the sound of gear by listening to demos. Demos usually sound unimpressive anyway, no? I think looking at the technical specs and reading the manual gives a better idea of what it's capable of before trying out the gear itself.

My questions on the Volca Drum are: What's the MIDI implementation chart is like? The manual shows that you can choose its MIDI channel, so it's already better than the Volca Sample in that respect. How deep can you go with creating patches? Do most drum sounds only have a few parameters you can control? At $169, I suspect it to be limited in that field. Yet, on the surface, it seems fairly wide in its patch editing scope. We'll see.

I hate to be this guy but I feel elektron should focus on getting their shit together regarding ob, the last updates and bugs/issues with the dn/dt before announcing any new products. Maybe my view is skewed but it seems quite a few people are unhappy and if they don't live up to their promises it might start to damage their credibility.

They have different teams working on each product, from what I can gather. It doesn't make sense for a company that offers many different products to go all hands on deck just to work on one.

The industry seems to be changing in favour of a "minimum viable product" model, as is the case with software. This is to be expected in the era of easily updatable firmware, people wanting things now now now etc.. though it's interesting that they're working so much behind the scenes on Overbridge 2.0 without releasing anything publically. I did sign up for the Digitone OB beta but I guess my use case wasn't unique enough.

Yeah ok, but ob isn't currently supported for any of the updated machines of any of the mk2 machines right?

It'd be kind of weird if they'd either release a new machine that won't be able to use ob at all or one that will be ob compatible "in the future". Neither one of those scenarios really looks good for them I think.

So if they announce any new hardware it should be accompanied either by an ob2 release or a definite release date.

I'm happy using my a4 mk1 with ob1 though, I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't have a whole bunch of issues with ob although there are some annoying bugs.

Never understood the analog heat. 600 for a distortion pedal?

It's a lot more than a simple distortion pedal though. It has a whole bunch of different circuits, there's a multifilter, lfo, envelope follower, etc. It's stereo.

I've been on a private beta for OB for a while now and they only just got the Rytm/Analog 4 VSTs, which have some bugs but are working great for me. I think they're supposed to go into public beta in the very near future, my guess is probably shortly after NAMM. I've been unhappy with the pace of development, but I am feeling more positive now that I have been participating in the beta. There's been some peaks into it on Synthtopia sometime in the last few months.

You're right that OB isn't supported on any of the new machines publicly yet, though. And they deserve at least some derision for missing so many deadlines. Someone else in the thread said to wait a while after they release something and I do agree, and I also cannot see myself not sticking with them, as I love the Elektron workflow.

I don't understand how anyone can complain about the sound of gear by listening to demos.

I can complain about anything. ;)

But really, I understand the rest of your argument and agree that digging on features/manuals is often a great way to really get into gear before having it in hand, but this statement is pretty silly my dude. If a company puts out demos of the gear themselves, that should be pretty representative of the overall sound. Many demos are lacking, yeah, and the sound of a synth is only part of the equation (features/usability/etc), but a demo *should* be a good snapshot/preview/guide of what the gear is and what it sounds like.

I didn't even listen to the SC demos though, didn't have time this morning, the videos seemed to illustrate the general idea and sounds they're going for with the drum and modular.

I don't understand how anyone can complain about the sound of gear by listening to demos.

I can complain about anything. ;)

But really, I understand the rest of your argument and agree that digging on features/manuals is often a great way to really get into gear before having it in hand, but this statement is pretty silly my dude. If a company puts out demos of the gear themselves, that should be pretty representative of the overall sound. Many demos are lacking, yeah, and the sound of a synth is only part of the equation (features/usability/etc), but a demo *should* be a good snapshot/preview/guide of what the gear is and what it sounds like.

I didn't even listen to the SC demos though, didn't have time this morning, the videos seemed to illustrate the general idea and sounds they're going for with the drum and modular.

I understand the value of demos for most people and I agree with your point.  I suppose I'm imposing my personal preference on discovering what new gear can technically do and I rarely feel demos are satisfying. Mostly because there are themes or styles presented that don't interest me while I'm more interested in how far can they be pushed on engineering and creative fronts. I'd be silly to scrap the idea of demo sounds as introductions to the gear's ability, but I think casting judgements based on demos alone to be premature.

I've been on a private beta for OB for a while now and they only just got the Rytm/Analog 4 VSTs, which have some bugs but are working great for me. I think they're supposed to go into public beta in the very near future, my guess is probably shortly after NAMM. I've been unhappy with the pace of development, but I am feeling more positive now that I have been participating in the beta. There's been some peaks into it on Synthtopia sometime in the last few months.

You're right that OB isn't supported on any of the new machines publicly yet, though. And they deserve at least some derision for missing so many deadlines. Someone else in the thread said to wait a while after they release something and I do agree, and I also cannot see myself not sticking with them, as I love the Elektron workflow.

speak of the devil: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-2-0-public-beta/71063/5

Archived