IGNORED

NAMM 2019 : The thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quietly hoping they'd do an additive synth in the Digitone/Digitakt form. Obv. the demo made it clear that wasn't happening.

Uh, digitone is an additive synth.

I've always seen it advertised (including from Elektron) as an FM synth. FM and Additive are not the same thing.

Additive is an umbrella term that includes FM.

no, it isn’t

There’s rumors of another announcement by elektron...

Apparently not

Don’t know much about this, was a rumor on the elektronaut forum and TBH I can’t believe the only thing they will show is this pathetic sample player

^ right! Thatz why im so curious about it. That synth could be mother of all mothers, reverend mother helen gaius mohiam, fakn kwisatz haderach maaaan

I too want a synth with UsuLPF and Bene Gessertillators. I  hope the Harkonnenvelopes are snappy as fuck though.

I was quietly hoping they'd do an additive synth in the Digitone/Digitakt form. Obv. the demo made it clear that wasn't happening.

I've always seen it advertised (including from Elektron) as an FM synth. FM and Additive are not the same thing.
no, it isn’t

There’s 2 schools of thought. I’m talking about additive vs subtractive. Where you are either adding or subtracting harmonics.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/01/24/arturia-microfreak-an-inexpensive-experimental-synth-with-polyphonic-aftertouch/

New digital analog hybrid from arturia with multiple synthesis methods and collab from mutable instruments

Interesting. Not sure I heard many sounds there that I liked but on paper that could be a unique(ish) little instrument

Edit for ^^ synchronicity

would like a version of that arturia thing without the keyboard

I want the same with the new Minibrute

https://www.thomann.de/nl/arturia_minibrute_2s.htm? ?

Sorry, I should have clarified, I *just* want the synth and patchbay, no keyboard or sequencer. The Minibrute 2's specs for just the synth are really nice.

would like a version of that arturia thing without the keyboard

I want the same with the new Minibrute

https://www.thomann.de/nl/arturia_minibrute_2s.htm? ?

Sorry, I should have clarified, I *just* want the synth and patchbay, no keyboard or sequencer. The Minibrute 2's specs for just the synth are really nice.

Ah, right makes sense now.

The microfreak sounds pretty good to me in that absolutely appalling teaser video. I like the touch keyboard plus it has cv/gate out and polyaftertouch. Plus there's some parameter sequencing possible? Modulation matrix looks good as well, the osc wave is one of the standard destinations and there's three  assignable destinations. Clock in so you could actually get the sequencer to run tightly if the internal clock doesn't have any arturia weirdness going on. Only 300,- fuckin hell.

I swore off any arturia products a couple of years ago but everyone deserves a second chance...    

Oh, apparently arturia just used the mi plaits code because it's open source and mi isn't too happy about how they handled it but in the promo they make it sound like it's an actual collab. Damn. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/ajdxul/arturia_announces_microfreak/

no, it isn’t

There’s 2 schools of thought. I’m talking about additive vs subtractive. Where you are either adding or subtracting harmonics.

FM is another completely different approach to either one of those. Additive synthesis is basically just adding more and more oscillators that do not modulate each other. FM requires that one signal (modulator) changes another (operator).

Also, some synths can do all of them. For instance, you can do FM/additive/subtractive with the FM8, but the Digitone is only set to do FM.

Re: microfreak: looks interesting. I'm a big fan of digital oscillators into analog filters.

Too bad it's only paraphonic, though at this price point that's to be expected.

I'm sure it'll be fun and capable of great sounds. I have a Shruthi and a Braids, so I'm all set for MI sounds through analog filters otherwise I would be all over this thing.

Speaking of MI: the source code was released with a very permissive open source license, so it's to be expected it ends up in strange places. Calling it a collaboration is stretching it, but, hey, there's both MI work and Arturia work in this thing so, you know ...

the Digitone is only set to do FM.

and subtractive!

I'm a big fan of digital oscillators into analog filters.

same, I haven't looked at the videos yet though.. will have to give it a go today

Archived