Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NAMM 2019 : The thread

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#151 Braintree

Braintree

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts
  • 132 topics
  • Joined 21-July 05

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

I was quietly hoping they'd do an additive synth in the Digitone/Digitakt form. Obv. the demo made it clear that wasn't happening.

Uh, digitone is an additive synth.
I've always seen it advertised (including from Elektron) as an FM synth. FM and Additive are not the same thing.
Additive is an umbrella term that includes FM.
no, it isn’t

There’s 2 schools of thought. I’m talking about additive vs subtractive. Where you are either adding or subtracting harmonics.

FM is another completely different approach to either one of those. Additive synthesis is basically just adding more and more oscillators that do not modulate each other. FM requires that one signal (modulator) changes another (operator).

Also, some synths can do all of them. For instance, you can do FM/additive/subtractive with the FM8, but the Digitone is only set to do FM.

#152 rhmilo

rhmilo

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 19-November 18

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Re: microfreak: looks interesting. I'm a big fan of digital oscillators into analog filters.

Too bad it's only paraphonic, though at this price point that's to be expected.

I'm sure it'll be fun and capable of great sounds. I have a Shruthi and a Braids, so I'm all set for MI sounds through analog filters otherwise I would be all over this thing.

Speaking of MI: the source code was released with a very permissive open source license, so it's to be expected it ends up in strange places. Calling it a collaboration is stretching it, but, hey, there's both MI work and Arturia work in this thing so, you know ...

#153 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,676 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

the Digitone is only set to do FM.

and subtractive!

I'm a big fan of digital oscillators into analog filters.

same, I haven't looked at the videos yet though.. will have to give it a go today

#154 TheBro

TheBro

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • 51 topics
  • Joined 09-June 17
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/thebro

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

lol arturia video teaser ffs can’t wait to see a good demo of it, at 299 euros it looks like a no brainer IMHO

Yeah terrible video. Sounds like a Prodigy D side lol. 

#155 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

Microfreak looks fun but the whole lifting MI code and calling it a collab is kinda icky. Now that I've talked myself out of it and saved $300, I think I'll lift it myself for use with SC...

#156 auxien

auxien

just one thing i wanna know

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

^gonna have to read what all that's about

In the meantime, I'm considering buying this if only as an investment.

#157 sheathe

sheathe

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Additive and subtractive are terms that apply to many mediums, and I still argue that in that sense, FM is additive. Even though it’s more like multiplication.

But whatever you’re right I’m wrong I learned something today I admit it even though I already knew the difference between fm and drawbar and even though I can use both of them better than most people here!

But I don’t have time I’m just a dumb day laborer these day yessir. Pressured washed a house today, two stories, made $800 bucks but that money’s already spent. I think about music all the time when I’m sitting in my truck in the dark parking lot of a Home Depot eating a Wendy’s $4 meal deal listening to classic county.

#158 juiceciuj

juiceciuj

mew nember

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 18-August 14
  • PSN:juiceciuj
  • Steam:juiceciuj

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:24 PM

^gonna have to read what all that's about

In the meantime, I'm considering buying this if only as an investment.

:facepalm:

#159 ignatius

ignatius

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 11-October 15

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:37 PM

here's mutable's statement about the arturia synth:

https://forum.mutabl...icrofreak/14878

Hello peeps!

There is a lot of noise on the internet regarding the Arturia Microfreak.

Let me clarify a couple of things.

First of all, Plaits’ code is open-source, which means that anybody is free to use it, as long as they credit me somewhere (it can be in a product description page, or a footnote in a downloadable manual, or an “about” dialog). This is why you can find Mutable Instruments’ DSP code in the Korg Prologue, the Axoloti, the Organelle, VCV Rack, and plenty of other bits of software or hardware. This is not stealing. Plaits’ code is a summary of everything I’ve learnt about making rich and balanced sound sources controlled by a few parameters, it’s for everyone to enjoy.

Now, regarding the Microfreak.

Arturia had been in the process of developing a hybrid synth for a while, and contacted me about using some of Plaits’ code inside. I had no objection to that.

In May, they invited me to their headquarters for a product development meeting where they showed me mockups of the Microfreak. It was fairly clear at this point that it was their product. The feature set, UX, sound engine were all already set in stone. The product obviously followed Arturia’s design language and branding. My expected contribution to the project was none: Arturia’s engineers would do their own thing with my code, the tone character and sound design was their responsibility. It was pointless for me to suggest features and ideas, or spill the beans about ideas I wanted to keep for upcoming Mutable Instruments products, and this awkward event felt more like a focus group.

Arturia offered to mention something like “Oscillator code from Mutable Instruments” in the product description, which is my preferred form of citation. No monetary compensation has ever been discussed – which is fair, because I provided exactly 0 hour of work and 0 original line of code. No contract has been drafted or signed.

Arturia contacted me back last week with a photo of the finished product. I never had the opportunity to playtest it. I have not been asked to approve or veto any promotional material.

As you can see, my involvement was fairly limited.

I don’t feel wronged. It’s their product.

However, I feel uneasy when people got excited, seeing it described as a collaboration between Mutable Instruments and Arturia, because none of the technical and design choices involved in this product originate from me. I have been quite disconcerted by the private messages congratulating me for this release and achievement. I know some people have been waiting for a Mutable Instruments keyboard synth, or at least non-modular product, for a while. Well, this is not it. That’s what I wanted to say to the world. I don’t want people to associate any negative experience they could have with this product with Mutable Instruments. I don’t want people to think that I endorsed or at least authorized some aesthetic decisions regarding this product or the communication surrounding it.

With its focus on local production, open-source, deliberate lack of marketing and advertising, Mutable Instruments is an unusual company. It’s stimulating and fun, but somewhat dangerous too. Turning Arturia into an enemy – those talks of boycotts and those tweets demanding justice – is only adding fuel to the fire and increasing the risks of getting me attacked in ways I don’t expect and I am not protected against.

If you care about me, move on! I need a lot of strength and energy at the moment, and it should all be focused on finishing new products.

So please let Arturia enjoy their release party, it’s hard work to ship a product. Buy their product if you think you’ll have fun and make good music with it, don’t buy otherwise. Buy Mutable Instruments products (or the Softube clones) if you want to fund me, or build your own and give the money to charities.

Love,
Émilie

#160 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

The original Yamaha FM synths were meant to provide some additive functionality, otherwise what are DX7 algo #32 and TX81Z algo #8 for? I don't see any problem calling them additive, although when it comes to additive, you probably want more than 4 or 6 oscillators.

Edit - ignatius beat me to it!

Edited by sweepstakes, 24 January 2019 - 10:46 PM.

#161 ignatius

ignatius

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 11-October 15

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:24 PM

ignatius beat me to it!

that's what she said...  :cisfor: 

#162 D4M0

D4M0

Massively Looking Forward.

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  • 63 topics
  • Joined 19-August 14
  • Interests:Lushness.

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

damn ! was this the FPGA based synth they teased last year ? looks promising !

Edited by D4M0, 25 January 2019 - 08:48 AM.

#163 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:11 AM

That man is sufficiently caffeinated.

The microFREAK's keyboard is messing with my eyes. It looks like one of those memes with the saturation cranked beyond recognizability.

#164 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/ffours

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

This Elektron Sampler thing has got me wondering.  For those of us who don't have €700+ to spend (or indeed want to) on a sampler, what options are there if you're on a relative budget?  It would be nice to have the option to fuck around with samples since I've finally ditched Ableton I'm tending to work increasing OTB.

Edited by b born droid, 27 January 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#165 omnii

omnii

Ringu Starr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • 17 topics
  • Joined 29-August 14
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/
  • Interests:Consuming and constructing music.

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

This Elektron Sampler thing has got me wondering.  For those of us who don't have €700+ to spend (or indeed want to) on a sampler, what options are there if you're on a relative budget?  It would be nice to have the option to fuck around with samples since I've finally ditched Ableton I'm tending to work increasing OTB.

I have heard more and more good things about the newest Electribe sampler but i haven't had a chance to mess with one.

The Volca Sample is really fun, especially with an external sequencer like a beatstep pro.

#166 Crossword Enthusiast

Crossword Enthusiast

0.2% Jésús

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 10-November 14

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

An MPC?

#167 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

The Volca Sample is really fun, especially with an external sequencer like a beatstep pro.

Yes. The note trigger implementation is dumbfounding (1 channel for each voice and it ignores note pitch and velocity) but once you get over that you have 12 CCs per voice to go to town on. The EQ is gimmicky but it sounds pretty cool.

#168 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/ffours

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

I have heard more and more good things about the newest Electribe sampler but i haven't had a chance to mess with one.

In what way?  I own a BSP.

I remember fucking with a Volca Sample years ago in store and having fun with it.  Can't remember much about the sound quality though.  There was something about the initial Volca range that sounded weak and thin to me.

#169 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

The only volcas of questionable value were the first 3 analogs imo

#170 iococoi

iococoi

surfin' those giant waves of passive aggression ...

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-April 11
  • Interests:Mille Feuille, Fille Millieu

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:03 AM

http://cdm.link/2019...the-extras-199/

#171 rhmilo

rhmilo

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 19-November 18

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:45 AM

The only volcas of questionable value were the first 3 analogs imo

Them's fighting words ;-)

I like my Volca Keys. In ring mod mode it can make some mean and nasty noises. In poly mode it provides perfectly serviceable base material for stabs.  In unison mode it does fairly useful bass.

(but I wouldn't cry if something bad were to happen to it - so there's that)

#172 TheBro

TheBro

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • 51 topics
  • Joined 09-June 17
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/thebro

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:48 AM

#173 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

$199 USD means it's cheaper than the parts to build a x0xb0x were (when you figure in panels and enclosure and everything) ten years ago when you could still source the NOS stuff easily.

Edited by RSP, 28 January 2019 - 10:43 AM.

#174 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,676 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

It sounds really great, but if you need to store a lot of patterns it's not ideal. From what I've seen, there's no way to get patterns off the device. Of course it's possible to just do everything in Vosyr and keep archives, but that ruins the spontaneity of making patterns on the device.

#175 Stickfigger

Stickfigger

Some bullshit

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  • 51 topics
  • Joined 15-April 08
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/user-507726405
  • Interests:https://meltedself.bandcamp.com/

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:23 AM

This CRAVE I'm not that excited about , but the price point makes me think the modular stuff is going to be quite affordable