IGNORED

NAMM 2019 : The thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been on a private beta for OB for a while now and they only just got the Rytm/Analog 4 VSTs, which have some bugs but are working great for me. I think they're supposed to go into public beta in the very near future, my guess is probably shortly after NAMM. I've been unhappy with the pace of development, but I am feeling more positive now that I have been participating in the beta. There's been some peaks into it on Synthtopia sometime in the last few months.

You're right that OB isn't supported on any of the new machines publicly yet, though. And they deserve at least some derision for missing so many deadlines. Someone else in the thread said to wait a while after they release something and I do agree, and I also cannot see myself not sticking with them, as I love the Elektron workflow.

speak of the devil: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-2-0-public-beta/71063/5

This is good news, thanks for sharing!

To be honest I just really hope Elektron don't mess it up because I like them as a company and want them to do well. I've gone off ob for a bit now that I'm using a usamo to clock things tightly and was getting tired of ob randomly adding 20 ms of non compensatable latency to live but can't wait to give this beta a shot.

Volca modular actually looks tempting, wonder if it can be modded to have cv out as well as in.

Richard Devine posted a few videos of him messing with the Volca Modular: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsqNBjoBvMW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sounds pretty good, actually. Not sure if I'll get one. Most of my volcas are sitting in a case right now.

I'll probably get the volca modular at some point, because I'm a sucker for that kind of shit.

Haven't looked at the volca drum yet.. will check out cuckoo's video now

I've been on a private beta for OB for a while now and they only just got the Rytm/Analog 4 VSTs, which have some bugs but are working great for me. I think they're supposed to go into public beta in the very near future, my guess is probably shortly after NAMM. I've been unhappy with the pace of development, but I am feeling more positive now that I have been participating in the beta. There's been some peaks into it on Synthtopia sometime in the last few months.

You're right that OB isn't supported on any of the new machines publicly yet, though. And they deserve at least some derision for missing so many deadlines. Someone else in the thread said to wait a while after they release something and I do agree, and I also cannot see myself not sticking with them, as I love the Elektron workflow.

speak of the devil: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-2-0-public-beta/71063/5

Cool. Sadly my AR mk2 won't update its firmware now. Oh Elektron!

speak of the devil: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-2-0-public-beta/71063/5

To be honest I just really hope Elektron don't mess it up because I like them as a company and want them to do well. I've gone off ob for a bit now that I'm using a usamo to clock things tightly and was getting tired of ob randomly adding 20 ms of non compensatable latency to live but can't wait to give this beta a shot.

Volca modular actually looks tempting, wonder if it can be modded to have cv out as well as in.

Getting the Usamo hooked up last week and using it for the first time was a borderline religious experience, I never thought I would hear timing that good from a PC. I hope he comes out with a MIDI input counterpart to it some day, although I'm not holding my breath.

so with overbridge, my understanding with the digitakt at least is that the first two channels are the master outs, and then the rest are the individual tracks pre-send to reverb/delay. It would have been sweet if you could have just got the effects channel send :/

Change your voice routing settings so that the individual channels don't go to the master out, then you'll just have the fx there in stereo.

Kit page of the OB plugin.

I'll probably get the volca modular at some point, because I'm a sucker for that kind of shit

Pretty much same here. At the Volca price range it’s basically impossible for me to ignore.

fuck i feel the same, esp since i have a kastle a spoftpop and a olegtron 4060

that said i promised myself i would never buy ANYTHING AGAIN EVER but man I can just imagine the horrendous noise this and the softpop would do crossmodded together...

speak of the devil: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-2-0-public-beta/71063/5

Getting the Usamo hooked up last week and using it for the first time was a borderline religious experience, I never thought I would hear timing that good from a PC. I hope he comes out with a MIDI input counterpart to it some day, although I'm not holding my breath.

It was the same for me. It makes me so happy to finally be able to use internal sequencers and send events/notes from live at the same time without a bunch of jittery nonsense. Probably won't be long before I order a second unit although maybe it's better to go the esx8 route in the long run.

Damn i should give my usamo another try

You should! Did it not work as expected?

xox, I found that I had to lower the output level of the USAMO plugin -7dBFS in the DAW to get it to work, even with the trim all the way down the signal was too hot with the DAW fader at unity. What also threw me off at first is that the clip indicator on the USAMO doesn't seem to be affected by the trim knob - if I set the DAW level so the clip LED is just starting to come on like the manual says, I can turn the trim control across its whole range and it'll stop working right at the extreme settings but the clip LED will react exactly the same across the entire range.  I ended up just leaving it at the halfway point, setting the level in the DAW, and then saving a channel template for it.  I also noticed that it seems to need different levels in different software, although that might be that some of the programs I tried were running at 96kHz and others were at 48, but whatever reason I ended up having to set the plugin output 2 or 3 dB hotter to get it to work right in ReNoise than I did in Reaper. Another reason to set the levels in software and save a preset rather than trying to use the front panel trim control.

So if you were having trouble getting it to work reliably, try using your software to set the output level of the USAMO plugin rather than using the trim knob, that might work better.  I'm sure it depends on your specific interface and software.

I was completely OTB with an MPC2000xl as the center of my setup for years and since I went back to a sort of hybrid setup with hardware sound sources/ITB mixing (but with some hardware effects), I've mostly stopped sequencing because whether I was sequencing in the DAW or sequencing in hardware and slaving that to the DAW clock, the timing was loose enough that everything always felt kind of off and it was impossible to get really tight interlocking stuff happening like I did when I was completely OTB. The USAMO completely fixed that. If anything it's probably even tighter than the MPC or Octatrack, but both of those were good enough that I didn't notice any jitter except if I tried to trigger the same sample twice on the same sequencer step in the MPC2000xl - the timing in that thing is just bad enough that you get phase cancellation issues when you layer identical samples in it (that was a common trick to get bigger drum sounds in the MPC3000 because its internal sequencer has sample accurate timing; according to a friend of mine who used to be at Akai tech support there were a lot of MPC3000 beat producers who were pretty upset when they got newer machines and the timing wasn't good enough to do that anymore; for regular MIDI sequencing the MPC2000xl is more than tight enough for me to notice, though - the main reason I rarely use it these days is a bunch of the buttons need to be replaced and it's a big hassle to pull it apart and get access to them).

@ user 

yes, it didnt work well; i had signal drop-outs. but now i have new comp and another daw, same interface tho (roland studio capture), so shall see...

@ rsp

thnx for the suggestion! will report back. hopefully it'll work 

So thankful that I don't have to deal with these latency issues anymore. MPC1K as a master clock running into an eMagic AMT8 which is chained to several others. Clock signal stays stable for hours with this setup. As well, I run an iPad dedicated to convert the MIDI clock to Ableton Link for iOS/Ableton stuff. It's the least hassle I've ever had with syncing in a studio.

So thankful that I don't have to deal with these latency issues anymore. MPC1K as a master clock running into an eMagic AMT8 which is chained to several others. Clock signal stays stable for hours with this setup. As well, I run an iPad dedicated to convert the MIDI clock to Ableton Link for iOS/Ableton stuff. It's the least hassle I've ever had with syncing in a studio.

Yeah, that was basically my setup except with an MPC2000xl and a first generation MOTU Midi xpress XT in standalone mode.

The good thing about the old MPCs is you could still get clock from the DAW that was just about as stable as the USAMO by slaving the MPC to the computer via SMPTE time ode instead of MIDI, and then using it as the master clock source for your hardware. But the USAMO is so much more flexible and convenient.

@ user 

yes, it didnt work well; i had signal drop-outs. but now i have new comp and another daw, same interface tho (roland studio capture), so shall see...

@ rsp

thnx for the suggestion! will report back. hopefully it'll work 

Hopefully.  Mine wouldn't work at all until I adjusted the plugin level in software, so hopefully that's going to work for you, too. Set the trim knob in the middle and get the plugin going in the loopback test mode, then tweak the output level of the plugin in your DAW until it's not losing any data and the clip LED is flickering a bit but not on full brightness all the time, and it should be good.  That's how I got mine working anyhow.

Didn't they conclude that the Roland SBX-1 made their product redundant?

After trawling some Gearslutz threads it appears that his day job is working for Roland...lol

The Roland box doesn't look like it's in production anymore.... Anyhow there seems to be other stuff on the market. The E-RM Multi-clock looks good and appears to combine much of what the Sync Gen and Sync Shift offered. 

Archived