IGNORED

NAMM 2019 : The thread

d-a-m-o

Just glancing over the specs for that new elektron sampler box, it reads exactly like the Digitakt!? 

What features does it not have?

Happy with my Digi, but concerning as others have pointed out that they are just making new products rather than bolstering already made stuff

Also doesn't seem enough of a price diff - should be 300 or something around those lines to truly be different to the 'takt

maybe it just wont support OB...if it ever comes round :(

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so sure about the new segment of the market. This thing is EUR 490. Digitakt is 614 new. Not sure why you would not spend the additional EUR 120.

In Australian prices, it's $630 (converting from the 449 USD price). A new Digitakt is $1100. I can definitely see people who couldn't afford Elektron gear in the past being excited about being able to buy one of these.

No ob, no samples lock per step, no sampling, it’s a joke (and not a funny one)

It actually seems to do a lot on paper, methinks you're looking at what it can't do and not at what it can :)  ....that's of course assuming it actually works and doesn't need a year of firmware before it doesn't crash on 3/4s of the owners. Looking at it solely as a MIDI sequencer (how i'm looking at it, idc about sample playing really), it's pretty fucking powerful for the price. I'm also not sure who's going to spend $400 on this instead of just buying the digitakt for ~$650 or whatever.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY it's seriously fucking ugly. I'm not sure they could've made it uglier if they had tried.

No ob, no samples lock per step, no sampling, it’s a joke (and not a funny one)

I'm also not sure who's going to spend $400 on this instead of just buying the digitakt for ~$650 or whatever.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY it's seriously fucking ugly. I'm not sure they could've made it uglier if they had tried.

This, if the digitakt wasn’t a thing, I could understand why they would release such a device. I’m pretty disappointed I was expecting a powerful drum machine, maybe a new flagship machine lol not this...

I’m pretty disappointed I was expecting a powerful drum machine, maybe a new flagship machine lol not this...

Yes me too, i was hoping for a machindrum2 but it’s an understandable move by elektron imo. More to come i believe, model:xy

Ugly cheap aesthetics aside, this thing is very underwhelming.

Recently the market for old samplers has gone pretty crazy, so I would have expected something new with similar specs that people are seeking (analog filters, AD/DA converters that color the sound, cool algorithms for time stretch and pitch shifting) that works as a simple yet effective sampler+sequencer.

This thing doesn't even have an audio input...

I honestly like it and think it looks cool. It’s like if elektron made an electribe

For a live box, my em1 is seriously lethal. I pulled it off the shelf after not using it for a year and took it to a club my friend was playing at, and we did one of the best live sets we’ve ever done, totally improvised. I always wished korg would make a new one knob per function box

It is about $150 too expensive but eh.

Now, like people are saying, they have a new format, and you know there will be more.

What would be awesome is box with a few basic synth machines on it. One could be karplus strong synth, one could be a sid synth, etc.

a mini mono machine. (But poly)

I was quietly hoping they'd do an additive synth in the Digitone/Digitakt form. Obv. the demo made it clear that wasn't happening.

Uh, digitone is an additive synth.

I've always seen it advertised (including from Elektron) as an FM synth. FM and Additive are not the same thing.

the model:samples (what a name) seems like a fun little machine to sample your synths and drum machine(s) into. gonna be driving by train for 80 minutes a day for work so maybe with a power bank I can actually squeeze out some solid dance choons there! heck to the yeah!

I was quietly hoping they'd do an additive synth in the Digitone/Digitakt form. Obv. the demo made it clear that wasn't happening.

Uh, digitone is an additive synth.

I've always seen it advertised (including from Elektron) as an FM synth. FM and Additive are not the same thing.

Additive is an umbrella term that includes FM.

Dang I hadn't heard anything about that Kyra. I'm really curious now as well.

it's the result of a guy's solo project. he brought it to musik messe last year and showed it there. waldorf got interested and so what we have is kyra.. originally it was called valkyrie. i'm guessing he licensed it to waldorf for final production/distribution. 

it uses FPGA instead of DSP. pretty impressive project. it sounds really nice. the waldorf version looks much better. regardless.. it's a nice synth. new.. different.. 

Depending on how the Kyra sounds (and what features / types of synthesis they implement), it could be a killer digital unit, the kind of synth you write a whole LP with. Pretty curious about that one.

Archived