IGNORED

NAMM 2019 : The thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Microfreak made me check out Plaits, and hoooly shit that's gonna be one of the first things I buy when I go Eurorack (any day now..).

BR/PLaits is an excellent starter module. That and a MIDI input module is already enough to begin making interesting sounds.

Once you have those (and a case, if course) you can slowly build out your system one module at a time - and individual modules aren't all that expensive.

Have fun!

Yeah I'm thinking Plaits + Erbeverb, plus a DIY teensy-based MIDI to CV/gate converter that I've already half built (for some mechanical percussion I'm working on) will be a good start. I ordered a case on Ebay last week but the seller isn't replying to my messages, argh.

Yeah eventually Maths, and maybe Intellijel Planar2, but at first just OT with a homemade MIDI -> CV converter.

My purchase schedule is as follows:

Erbeverb + an I/O module + DIY MIDI to CV/gate

Plaits + Maths

Some utilities like mults, S&H, noise

Morphagene

Intellijel Planar2

etc etc

Basically I'm mostly interested in super digital stuff, I don't really want any analog oscillators but may be interested in an analog filter if it's interesting enough.

However, my small modulargrid setup comes to almost $6.5k AU, about as much as a full Make Noise Shared System :/ I'm somewhat tempted to just save for like.. a year or something and just get one of those. It has almost everything I want anyway.

pre-ordered the korg minilogue xd. this is the first time in my life that i've actually bought a synth new!

taking a serious look at the microfreak as well, but waiting to see some more reviews once it is released before i make a decision on that one.

not planning to get the akai force but i can see how that would fill a longstanding need for some people. the true 'ableton live in a box' that the octatrack was made out to be by some. definitely the future of the whole mpc line.

with those 3 units being the first time i've been excited about hardware in a long time, i can't really complain too much about this namm.

why is there no crazy sequencer at namm.. every year I long for it. does no one have the balls for it or what? go d damn animals

octatrack makes a good sequencer but there's a handful of hardware sequencer options these days. the cirklon is sorta the motherload of hardware sequencers though there's a 12-18 month wait for it. 

there's a few others though.  

i don't think he was at namm but the five12 hardware sequencer + expander is pretty crazy. the expander is a midi i/o it was only released a couple months ago. 

300x182_10832.jpg

will check that out tomorrow, thanks bud. i was supposed to get my cirklon last summer but they didn't message me, wonder if they just forgot or not. wish there was a sequencer with a different approach to it though, especially with things like modulation curves, routing, writing your own sample states that influence sequences.. what do i know!! too nachtigall to elaborate. i love all u sequencer nerds

will check that out tomorrow, thanks bud. i was supposed to get my cirklon last summer but they didn't message me, wonder if they just forgot or not. wish there was a sequencer with a different approach to it though, especially with things like modulation curves, routing, writing your own sample states that influence sequences.. what do i know!! too nachtigall to elaborate. i love all u sequencer nerds

Yes, cirklon is a long wait, but it’s worth it ! The move to Berlin was supposed to shorten the wait, pretty strange, hope everything is fine for them, Colin and Barbara are super nice peoples.

i'd say yes also. some people on the muffwiggler forum have gotten theirs and some are still waiting. 

the five12 vector sequencer is sort of a slice of the Numerology sequencer (which is awesome and fun). there's a couple threads about it on the five12 forum.  Jim of five12 is a really great developer who seems to not sleep. he's good w/updates, bug fixes and adding features. 

http://five12.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38

the other sequencers around are the squarp pyramid, the social entropy Engine.. there's the more imemdiate less deep but still capable stuff by Twisted electrons... looks fun but you'd need one for notes and one for drums i think.. Crazy8 and Crazy8 beats

in modular there's a bunch of really great sequencers. different world though. 

people talk about the Engine a lot.  pretty capable but probably not as much as the cirklon. 

https://www.socialentropy.com/engine/?page_id=346

i'd say yes also. some people on the muffwiggler forum have gotten theirs and some are still waiting. 

the five12 vector sequencer is sort of a slice of the Numerology sequencer (which is awesome and fun). there's a couple threads about it on the five12 forum.  Jim of five12 is a really great developer who seems to not sleep. he's good w/updates, bug fixes and adding features. 

http://five12.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38

the other sequencers around are the squarp pyramid, the social entropy Engine.. there's the more imemdiate less deep but still capable stuff by Twisted electrons... looks fun but you'd need one for notes and one for drums i think.. Crazy8 and Crazy8 beats

in modular there's a bunch of really great sequencers. different world though. 

people talk about the Engine a lot.  pretty capable but probably not as much as the cirklon. 

https://www.socialentropy.com/engine/?page_id=346

I'd love to hook up an Eloquencer with something like the nerdseq, put that through a bunch of weird clock dividers, LFO gens.. social entropy seems fun for a budget friendly workflow. I'm still trying to wrap my head around my Zaquencer, was a bit too lazy for it the last few months. It can't do holds which is a shame.. Gonna check out the five12 later today :) 

Archived